Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:45 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Oh but CA is ahead of the curve.

At my SC high school? People admitted to listening to grunge, alternative or country.

Don't get me wrong, everyone knew the new jack songs. But they didn't call it their fave music. The white people who did were called the w-word.
Yeah, maybe being in California living near the Bay Area, would've influenced that. I remember kids would record tapes off of KMEL which was starting to be a big deal at that point as one of the first big rap stations in the area... In general I think being younger kids we were more open to new sounds, even more so than my cool older cousins who all lived in the city or East Bay. 1991 and 1992 were really the years that I remember it becoming really big amongst my age group... Ice Cube and the Geto Boys were huge in that period--along with early Too Short--and then there were the East Coast groups like Das EFX that were big. By the time I started high school, rap music was the dominant music in terms of most cliques(outside of the stoner rock kids).

Grunge and alternative and some heavy metal was popular as well, but the cool kids and most of the good looking girls all listened to rap and r'n'b. For the 90s however, I didn't know anyone who listened to country music until years later when I moved to Oregon in 1999. I thought it was weird when a bunch of people I knew actually grew up hearing and knew the words to Garth Brooks songs... That struck me as much different from what I heard growing up. I didn't realize how big country music was in much of the country during the early 90s--even my relatives in the Central Valley wouldn't listen to country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
At my high school no self respecting white preppy would claim to listen to it. It was too "low class." Or you know, for black people.

During that time, marching bands at predominately would improvise Dre day to play as a hype song at football games. When my schools band did the band director (middle aged black man) would shush the band, and the offending student would get a warning.

I came back to the bay for college, and obviously most of the native Californians listened to hip hop.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:47 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
So then California wasn't REALLY ahead of the curve then were they?

Because I'm a year your senior and where I came up....plenty of the white kids listened to Hip Hop and wore it on their sleeves. Unashamedly too.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:49 PM

To see how much things have changed, you can always look at the dance movies. Compare Save the Last Dance to the Step Up series.

Julia Stiles had to go find black people to learn how to dance. And Step Up was basically white people dancing to hip hop.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
So then California wasn't REALLY ahead of the curve then were they?

Because I'm a year your senior and where I came up....plenty of the white kids listened to Hip Hop and wore it on their sleeves. Unashamedly too.
I went to middle/high school in South Carolina and moved back to CA in 1996.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I went to middle/high school in South Carolina.
Sorry to hear that

Old 06-19-2013, 06:25 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times
Ah you know what? You're right. I forgot. Used to be you could only see a hip-hop video when they played it on Yo MTV raps or Video Music Box if you were in the NYC metro area.

The quality of the music has seriously declined with a few exceptions. I was listening to an old school music channel last night and I heard Brand Nubian's Slow Down. DH and I were like listen to the lyrics and compare that to any of the trash Lil Wayne puts out today.

Well I guess it's like Rock n Roll...used to also be considered low class and only for black people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I think what she meant was that even whites and other races, under age 25, mainly are into Hip Hop.

I'm Gen X too, but, as a teen in the mid to late 80s, most the white kids were listening the Heavy Metal and made fun of Hip Hop. Back then it was mainly blacks and Puerto Ricans into Hip Hop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies