Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 814 times

Advertisements

Though i stand to be corrected,i think the entire ideology of hip hop is misconstrued displayed in most hiphop piece. Hip hop is supposef to be a style of music with diverse 'subject' that sooths human mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 08:08 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm glad that you delineated it perfectly: hip hop ON THE RADIO is complete garbage.

My son gives me underground mixtapes that are still extremely good.

But the mainstream stuff is unlistenable. And hip hop has spread its tentacles a little too far, infecting most of this pop music stuff, and it sounds horrific. The rappers that i used to love would've never collaborated with these Tinkerbell pop artists.

Oh well...at least i still have jazz as my refuge. I feel sorry for people who don't...they're just stuck with that radio garbage. Or country. LOL
THIS.

Why is it that you see a TON of songs that are from "so and so featuring this and that" with the featuring "this and that" being a big-name rapper? It's like these guys are paying the rapper for instant credibility.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:12 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,230,144 times
I'm a young white guy that likes SOME hip hop. I'm much more picky with it than other genres though. I prefer rappers who, you know, have coherent thoughts in their lyrics.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
I'm glad that you delineated it perfectly: hip hop ON THE RADIO is complete garbage.

But the mainstream stuff is unlistenable. And hip hop has spread its tentacles a little too far, infecting most of this pop music stuff, and it sounds horrific. The rappers that i used to love would've never collaborated with these Tinkerbell pop artists.

Oh well...at least i still have jazz as my refuge. I feel sorry for people who don't...they're just stuck with that radio garbage. Or country. LOL

I have to agree. Personally, I like a little bit of everything, except most country music. I just never developed an ear for most of it. There are a few songs out in that genre that I like, but they're few an far in between. Other than that, my ear for music has a wide range. I also did weddings too, so it was a nice change up from doing clubs, and it really developed my diversity for music. And it was more money per gig! I'll still do the occasional wedding if the price is right, and I have enough notice.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:36 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,915,077 times
I love hip hop...the 90's were the window to my adolescence....I experienced the best of it...

Old 06-18-2013, 09:43 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
I think what I always found most interesting is the international appeal of hip hop too. In college I met some Muslim from the Middle East guys who loved Tupac. (And listened before they came to the US) I was shocked since it seemed worlds away.

To quote BIG, who know hip hop would take it this far.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Of course it's not just black people. Blacks make up only about 12 percent of the population. There had to be a bunch of non-blacks listening to it for it to grow as much as it did.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:52 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:

I was gonna say hip hop sucks, of course I have only heard the crap on the radio.

I'll stick with old country and old rock and roll. I am stuck in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think what I always found most interesting is the international appeal of hip hop too. In college I met some Muslim from the Middle East guys who loved Tupac. (And listened before they came to the US) I was shocked since it seemed worlds away.

To quote BIG, who know hip hop would take it this far.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
And so true.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:55 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,044,371 times
How is that possible when Hip-Hop originated in the NYC area in the late 70s and early 80s? That's an inaccurate statment. I'm a gen-Xer who grew up on hip-hop and I know people older than me who still like it because their teen and early adult years were the late 70s/early 80s. They may not like everyone who is popular right now but they have their people that they listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I saw this today, and it cracked me up.

http://m.colorlines.com/archives/201...hool_nerd.html

In a nutshell, a young Asian girl had a little fun with her yearbook pic (ad?). She had a photo with a caption of a random listing of elements. In reality it was codified Notorious BIG lyrics (using the symbols of those elements).

It safe to say she is probably a little nerdy. And that she listens to hip hop.

Hip hop is the music of most people under 25, no matter what ethnic group or social they are. (And the same is nearly true for those under 35ish).

Not sure why this is so hard for some people to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies