Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 10:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I don't see that happening. Maybe a few places, but everyday historic buildings are getting torn down to be replaced with modern crap.
Depends on where you are talking about, in the general sense, most neighborhoods aren't having homes being knocked down so new, bigger ones can be built. At least not in the cities I have been in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It's merely an alternative viewpoint to which I do not expect property interests to subscribe.

Many property owners believe that rent equals value (which, of course VAT proponents would tax accordingly) so a rent increase magically represents increased value.

What part of my post do you dispute? Do you believe that rent increases do not make a landlord's property more valuable? (See 'cap rate'.) Just ask any landlord, lender, or Realtor. Do you believe that an increase in the value of my landlord's investment does not make me worse off?
"It's merely an alternative viewpoint", which isn't based on reality.

Renting is NOT an investment because you are not the owner. If you can't grasp that simple concept, there is no use trying to have a conversation with you.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
As a landlord, you have a vested interest in supporting zoning provisions that prevent low-income people from buying homes, and which therefore ensure you a continues supply of customers.

But you still have not answered my question:

Are you saying there is nothing to stop a local government from designing codes intended to exclude low-income people from buying property?
That's not the case and I'm not answering your stupid hypotheticals.

No one is stopping you from buying property where you can afford it.
Just like my being well into middle class still being unable to buy everywhere I might want to buy.
Actually, I can probably buy up to $600k worth of house, but why on earth would I want to.
I live within my means.

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-23-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Well this is curious...low-income people can obviously afford to rent since few of them are homeless.

Since they can afford to rent, they can afford to buy, unless government is imposing artificial barriers.

Zoning is about preserving the lifestyles and the property values of existing property owners, and especially homeowners.

Since incumbent homeowners - especially in the mid-20th century when most zoning codes were implemented - are (were) more affluent than neighbors who did not own homes, zoning effectively entailed keeping out the riff-raff.
Yeah, like a down payment and the ability to pay a mortgage.
Good, let's keep out the riff-raff.
If you don't meet the qualifications, you don't get to buy in an area.
Move somewhere else.

Jeez, what a blasted entitlement attitude.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yeah, I hate that too. If people can be told that they can't build a small home in an upscale neighborhood, then the rich should be told that they can't build a monster home in an older established neighborhood.

Not only do they not want to let people build small homes, but they want to buy up the supply of affordable homes, tear them down and replace them with their big ugly monstrosities.
That's what you get when there is no zoning.

There was a lovely community in Ohio where my friends lived.
All the liveable, affordable homes were bought and McMansions were built.
Several of the nearby communities came up with strict zoning after that.

I have 2 houses.
One was built in 1910 and has 2,076 sf. A family of 8 lived in it with one bathroom.
2,800 sf lot with a 2 car garage.
It's a typical lot in the area. Zoned single family.

My other house was built in 1932 and is 1,232 sf. A family of 6 lived in it.
Lot 2,900 sf with a single car shared wall garage.
Zoned single family.

Do idiots really want people to break these inner city properties up because they want to own part of it?
Really?

Last edited by chielgirl; 06-23-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-23-2013, 11:23 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's not the case and I'm not answering your stupid hypotheticals.

No one is stopping you from buying property where you can afford it.
Just like my being well into middle class can't buy everywhere I might want to buy.
Actually, I can probably buy up to $600k worth of house, but why on earth would I want to.
I live within my means.
Some people insist on thinking the world aint fair and it aint their fault.
Options abound. Work a second and even third job. Save your pennies. Quit that smoking habit. Dig deep.
The dream is waiting for those who have the will and the drive and the sense to make it happen.
Chiel you will achieve nothing by besting a fool. You will never convince them. They insist on finding reasons why they cant succeed. The refuse to look for ways to succeed.
I would love to go hunting in Africa. I can afford it too. I opt not to. I can't justify spending that much cash on it.
I instead invest that same cash in my retirement acct. I would rather retire sooner.
I work with people who spend their money like water. Then complain they wont be able to retire until they are 62 or 65.
I'll be done a t 55. Ill have one hefty acct. and I'll be able to travel and live well.
I didnt wait for the world to make it fair. I didn't quit because it is hard.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:10 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Options abound. Work a second and even third job. Save your pennies. Quit that smoking habit. Dig deep.
The dream is waiting for those who have the will and the drive and the sense to make it happen.
Chiel you will achieve nothing by besting a fool. You will never convince them. They insist on finding reasons why they cant succeed. The refuse to look for ways to succeed.
I would love to go hunting in Africa. I can afford it too. I opt not to. I can't justify spending that much cash on it.
I instead invest that same cash in my retirement acct. I would rather retire sooner.
I work with people who spend their money like water. Then complain they wont be able to retire until they are 62 or 65.
I'll be done a t 55. Ill have one hefty acct. and I'll be able to travel and live well.
After you retire you can teach a financial management course. Assuming you pulled it off on ordinary income, that is. One thing that bugs me is everyone says quit smoking, not just to save money but for health reasons. But how can anyone quit who hasn't even started?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It's merely an alternative viewpoint", which isn't based on reality.

Renting is NOT an investment because you are not the owner. If you can't grasp that simple concept, there is no use trying to have a conversation with you.

I am the owner of my financial resources until either I spend them or they are taken from me. So I very much have a stake in the rent I pay, and a rent increase necessarily makes me worse off if you do the math. It's a zero-sum game, my landlord's gain is my loss. What part of this are you not getting?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

but when poor people try to save money on housing, all the NIMBYs and neighborhood nannies come out of the woodwork...

Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Yeah, like a down payment and the ability to pay a mortgage.
Good, let's keep out the riff-raff.
If you don't meet the qualifications, you don't get to buy in an area.
Move somewhere else.

Jeez, what a blasted entitlement attitude.

My attitude is that renters are entitled to nothing more than a free market in which a willing seller is free to sell to a willing buyer property that is lawful to occupy as a dwelling.

You, on the other hand, appear to believe you are entitled to a tilted playing field and government protectionism and unfree markets.

Tell me where I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies