Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:53 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I did nothing but yet blacks still call whites crackers. Calling whites cracker is racist but it's ok right? We should bounce off walls like blacks. Obviously whites handle it much better.
Lol. What logic! Did someone on FN call you a c word, dear? No? So they don't have a show? Just like Paula Deen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,884,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Why do you think she was fired? Food Network bows to its sponsors who don't want any negative publicity over a simple word. Time for blacks to get over it.
A few days ago, I would have agreed with you, but this is more than just a simple word.

I'm aware that people make racial remarks everyday, but when your on TV and have sponsors and fans it's best to keep your negative/ignorant comments to yourself.

But, it doesn't just stop with her using the N-word.

Did you not see the latest piece of video that has surfaced, when she said that one of her black friends "he's as black as the board", then to add insult to injury and quite frankly total embarrassment, said "come here, we can't see you standing by that black board"

Furthermore, she seems to show much sympathy for one of ancestor who owned slaves, but shows non for the slaves themselves.

It's quite clear that she's stuck in her own ignorant world. I totally believe that she thinks that she is superior to blacks. And that's racism. No matter how you want to look at it.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:17 PM

33,587 posts, read 18,188,329 times
I wish everyone would just get over the difference in skin color.. it is just pigment in the skin... no different than color of eyes... shall we segregate over the color of eyes or just as we do now.. know the difference and it is no big deal .

Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post

Did you not see the latest piece of video that has surfaced, when she said that one of her black friends "he's as black as the board", then to add insult to injury and quite frankly total embarrassment, said "come here, we can't see you standing by that black board"

Furthermore, she seems to show much sympathy for one of ancestor who owned slaves, but shows non for the slaves themselves.
I guess you never had any black friends.... no need to tippy toe - he's black alright.
Does Paula Dean lack tact. Of course she does. "This is my son by another father" - PD

I would have liked to see more of the discussion. How much sympathy she had
for her great granddaddy who shot himself in the head in the barn,...well, I guess that
is up to her.

You know, I'm not the biggest fan of Dean's shows, having watching her a couple times
and her voice drives me crazy, but this is all much to do about doo doo.

Paula Deen Allegedly Makes Racist Comments - YouTube

Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,214,636 times
I've been to her restaurant, very good food, unhealthy and greasy as hell, but not too bad if you eat it once in awhile.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I've been to her restaurant, very good food, unhealthy and greasy as hell, but not too bad if you eat it once in awhile.
There are all different types of southern cuisine. I lean to Creole/French cooking -
not a lot of grease there, but still unhealthy if overindulged.

Not all southerners cook like Paula, believe me.
IMO, a lot of us are better cooks than she is
But, she sure lucked out, up until now...

Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,575,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Is it True? No - Paula Dean did not have a 1800's plantation themed party.

From her own disposition given:

“I remember telling them about a restaurant that my husband and I had recently visited. And I’m wanting to think it was in Tennessee or North Carolina or somewhere, and it was so impressive,” Deen said. “The whole entire wait staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie. I mean, it was really impressive. And I remember saying I would love to have servers like that, I said, but I would be afraid that somebody would misinterpret.”

Yes, she even admitted using the word ****** in occasions of her life, although quite a long time
ago in her life (go to page 22-24)

Document: Paula Deen's testimony

I don't know how folks can chime in, when they haven't read the facts.
IMO, the backlash against Dean has been overkill. Makes me think
everyone else is trying to compensate for themselves....
The only thing I think Paula Dean is guilty of is honesty to a fault.
The references to the "Plantation Themed Wedding" are indeed in the deposition you linked to. When Deen was planning Bubba's wedding, she suggested a traditional Plantation Themed Wedding, complete with black waiters playing the part of slaves. It's all right there.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,214,636 times
Quote:
There are all different types of southern cuisine. I lean to Creole/French cooking -
not a lot of grease there, but still unhealthy if overindulged.

Not all southerners cook like Paula, believe me.
IMO, a lot of us are better cooks than she is
But, she sure lucked out, up until now...
I must have been a Southerner in a past life, because I love fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits with gravy, greens, etc..

Old 06-25-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The references to the "Plantation Themed Wedding" are indeed in the deposition you linked to. When Deen was planning Bubba's wedding, she suggested a traditional Plantation Themed Wedding, complete with black waiters playing the part of slaves. It's all right there.
But she did not have a plantation themed wedding.
The idea was mulled over after her experience at another restaurant.
It was the attorney for the person who filed the lawsuit who asked, in that
era they would be slaves, No? She didn't use the phrase in her description, the
attorney did.

Hey if you think she's a bigot so be it. I don't from what I've read and seen
of her.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,575,901 times
Quote:
But she did not have a plantation themed wedding.
The idea was mulled over after her experience at another restaurant.
It was the attorney for the person who filed the lawsuit who asked, in that
era they would be slaves, No? She didn't use the phrase in her description, the
attorney did.

Hey if you think she's a bigot so be it. I don't from what I've read and seen
of her.
I was clarifying where the Plantation Wedding statement came from. I have no idea if she is a bigot or a racist. I do know she is facing the consequences for past actions whether they were unfortunate or malicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies