Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 08:31 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,522,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
No we don't need rules in Fla. If you want them go for it. We already fought that fight here. We successfully got rid of them and the good people of Fla are better off for it.
Of course you have rules and legal standards for what constitutes legal self defense. If you slap me, I don't have the right to pull your gun and shoot you.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,737,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I assumed we were talking about out in public, not on your property.
I was AFSOC then a PMC after that. I would never just answer your question outright. There are so many circumstances that can arise, that no one answer would even begin to answer your question.

Off the top of my head I defiantly would have handled the TM incident differently from what I know of it. But sadly we do not know exactly how it went down. That's why I have refrained from taking any sides in the debate.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:34 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,400,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Of course you have rules and legal standards for what constitutes legal self defense. If you slap me, I don't have the right to pull your gun and shoot you.
How hard is the slap?

1,111 posts, read 1,737,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You might. All depends on the law in your state.

EDIT: Just spotted that after re-reading it. Funny. Really think you would have a chance in hell of getting my weapon?

10,553 posts, read 9,666,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
In both states all that is required to take leathal action is to be fearful for your life. In Texas, you can even take leathal action to protect your property...
I am talking about out in public, not if there is someone on your property.

You have to have the reasonable belief that your life is in danger or you are at risk of serious bodily harm. If there are no witnesses, the other person was an unarmed stranger, and you have no evidence of injury at all, you are going to have a hard time persuading a jury that you were justified in using deadly force against someone.

Unless there was some past history, i.e. the person wasn't a stranger, but a stalker for example. A stalker who had in the past threatened your life or threatened you with serious injury. And you had gone to the police about it to establish that history.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,250,858 times
Quote:
I hope you said that in sarcasm. Otherwise you are the kind of person who would not be very welcome in my neighborhood.

That said I have had a CWP since 87 and carry every day, and I would avoid such a confrontation that you described. Move away, and live for another day.
LOL I would try to avoid it as well. I have had my share of combat and would be happy to never be in the fight again. I was only making an example of what no physical harm and yet justifiable shooting would look like in my book.
I never carry unless going to the range or a gun shop. I also have a cwp, but only for the purpose of transport. It eliminates 1 excuse for cops on an ego trip to bother you.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,666,312 times
Quote:
You might. All depends on the law in your state.
No, you don't. Not in any state. You can't meet slight force, a slap, with deadly force, shooting someone dead. You guys need to go read the laws. Even with the stand-your-ground law in Florida, there has to be evidence of justification to shoot someone to death.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:37 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,217,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
So, in other words even though the rules were different for blacks from 1776 to 1968 for everything from drinking water at a fountain to being counted as full people to voting, it's just ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS that the rules are different for a few racist words from circa 1995 until now.

You are sickened quite easily.

what I am saying is why anyone uses racist tones
why is it okay for blacks to use terms like cracker
and it should be no big deal
come off your high horse
I do not use racist words
and I do not condone others who do even if they are purple
or green
go don't make excuses
and the year happens to be 2013

Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,048,493 times
Zimmerman eyewitness may have fabricated Olympics story | The Daily Caller

Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,948,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I am talking about out in public, not if there is someone on your property.

You have to have the reasonable belief that your life is in danger or you are at risk of serious bodily harm. If there are no witnesses, the other person was an unarmed stranger, and you have no evidence of injury at all, you are going to have a hard time persuading a jury that you were justified in using deadly force against someone.

Unless there was some past history, i.e. the person wasn't a stranger, but a stalker for example. A stalker who had in the past threatened your life or threatened you with serious injury. And you had gone to the police about it to establish that history.
In public, without witnesses and yes even to protect for instance your vehicle from theft, in the state of Texas you can take leathal measures.... I am an older man and am a smaller man... A woman, or someone who is disabled in some way are all considered vulnerable... Chances are, there wouldn't even be an initial arrest...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies