Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times

Advertisements

Even having a good job is no guarantee you'll be able to build enough wealth to move up a social class. Especially considering people of color are more likely to support other family members with their income.

One of my former coworkers has essentially 2 jobs to help her parents pay for their mortgage and little brothers expenses. She is a computer programmer and contracts on the side to pay for her expenses and her family's.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The topic is wealth. While the college educated have a higher lifetime earnings potential, there is more than one study which concludes that, adjusted for all factors, the average family wealth at retirement age is the same regardless of education.

Certainly a small percentage of professions will typically result in higher net worth. But many people build real wealth without ever attending college.

The reasons are pretty clear - the more you earn, the more you spend. The standard of living may be higher, but unless the excess earnings is invested and saved over time, it doesn't result in long-term wealth.

In the short-term, college is a losing proposition for many people from a cash flow and wealth standpoint. In the long-term, unless they are disciplined and plan, the high-income guy will not be any better off than his plumber or garbage man neighbor from a wealth perspective.
I understand what you are saying, however it is not exactly accurate. There is a high correlation between intellect and income, whereas there is no correlation between intellect and wealth. That being said, there is a correlation between a college education and lifetime wealth. While it is true that those who earn more spend more, but they also save more as well. College is hardly a losing proposition from a cash flow and wealth standpoint. Those who go to college (on average) still have a dramatically higher lifetime net worth than those who do not. The numbers disagree with you. The high income person will absolutely be better off than his plumber or garbage man neighbors from a wealth perspective. The second chart uses values from the US census. You can find a link to a spreadsheet with the census data on household wealth by education level here.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
hnsq - Thank you for the charts.

Graduating from college was the best thing I ever did for my household wealth. I had a lot of help from family and the GI Bill ('Nam River Rat).

If I had continued with my career as a machinest/machine builder I would have probably been unemployed years ago and dead broke, if not actually dead, by now. Instead I own a home free of debt and actually have some invested capital. I also have a defined pension and health insurance for the rest of my life.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,213,901 times
Nothing is, not hard work, not intelligence, not looks, and not even luck.

The only thing that is a one way ticket to wealth is being born rich.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I understand what you are saying, however it is not exactly accurate. There is a high correlation between intellect and income, whereas there is no correlation between intellect and wealth. That being said, there is a correlation between a college education and lifetime wealth. While it is true that those who earn more spend more, but they also save more as well. College is hardly a losing proposition from a cash flow and wealth standpoint. Those who go to college (on average) still have a dramatically higher lifetime net worth than those who do not. The numbers disagree with you. The high income person will absolutely be better off than his plumber or garbage man neighbors from a wealth perspective. The second chart uses values from the US census. You can find a link to a spreadsheet with the census data on household wealth by education level here.

First, I stated "in the short-term" on a cash flow basis.

Second, the mean data studies on net worth are interesting. If your neighbor worked for the federal government or the state or any agency that offered a traditional defined benefit plan, the present value of that annuity isn't on his personal balance sheet. The old BART workers retire with a pension that would equate to million dollar 401(k) balance. On paper, they are a million dollars poorer than you. What demographic has the highest participation in pensions?

My Stanford buddy did some work in 2000 on the subject. The numbers are much closer than portrayed. His work is dated now but probably hasn't changed too much.

Higher standard of living: yes.

Higher lifetime earnings: yes.

Higher wealth at death: not so much.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
DD – that is all too true. I want to advise every baby to be certain they are born to sane, sober and wealthy, as in so wealthy their capital supports them without their working, family. With their income secured these kids are far likelier to live peaceful, fulfilling and accomplished lives then the rest of us. Unfortunately I did not manage to tell this to myself in time. My parents were neither sane, sober or wealthy.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,212,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
First, I stated "in the short-term" on a cash flow basis.

Second, the mean data studies on net worth are interesting. If your neighbor worked for the federal government or the state or any agency that offered a traditional defined benefit plan, the present value of that annuity isn't on his personal balance sheet. The old BART workers retire with a pension that would equate to million dollar 401(k) balance. On paper, they are a million dollars poorer than you. What demographic has the highest participation in pensions?

My Stanford buddy did some work in 2000 on the subject. The numbers are much closer than portrayed. His work is dated now but probably hasn't changed too much.

Higher standard of living: yes.

Higher lifetime earnings: yes.

Higher wealth at death: not so much.
You seem to have missed the second study (as well as the spreadsheets I linked). I gave you data on not only net worth, but on net financial assets as well. Again, your conclusions don't match the data. Can you look at the spreadsheet I linked to that refers to net financial assets (and the fact that they are dramatically higher for the college educated than any other group)?

Higher wealth at death? Absolutely. Again, you have not posted any actual data to support what you say. Can you give me a link to your buddy's research?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:17 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,424,105 times
Quote:
You seem to have missed the second study (as well as the spreadsheets I linked). I gave you data on not only net worth, but on net financial assets as well. Again, your conclusions don't match the data. Can you look at the spreadsheet I linked to that refers to net financial assets (and the fact that they are dramatically higher for the college educated than any other group)?

Higher wealth at death? Absolutely. Again, you have not posted any actual data to support what you say. Can you give me a link to your buddy's research?
When I have some time I'll look at your data. I'm always willing to learn.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:48 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,566 times
I would say unless you have some good marketable skills you have to go to college. That is how it is and has been for some time.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
Quote:
The debt free person making $30k has more wealth in the present, but the person with a $100k salary and $200k in debt has a higher ceiling in terms of potential net lifetime wealth. I would argue that the person with the $100k salary and $200k in debt is in a better financial position than $30k and no debt, assuming that person is young enough to work for a few more years.
At a $70k gap per year -which would most likely grow by a far bigger gap, over 25 years, the 100k employee would have made (before factoring 70k growing) 8.75 times the 200k debt above the 30k guy.

Add in, the 30k guy has virtually no discretionary income. That is a paycheck to paycheck subsistence level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies