Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,780,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stAmendment1st View Post

Mob of Over 200 Teenagers Rampage Through Lauderhill Mall in Florida - YouTube

It's been a pretty quiet year so far in terms of black youth...excuse me..."Urban Youth" mobs destroying large swaths of city infrastructure.

Or perhaps the media isn't reporting on all of them. lol
Here's the report from the local media:
Contrary to what you posted the fight, this report says the fight was limited to 15 teens. One incurred a minor injury. One was arrested.

One teen hurt, another arrested in Lauderhill Mall fracas - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Internet media seeks out local news stories that contain the greatest potential to cause outrage. If the topic goes viral, mainstream media may pick it up.

Social media has created a new opportunity for flash mobs to assemble, anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
This is called wilding... common in the summer, but more common in Chicago.
Really?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,205,143 times
Thread needs a title change.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOBama View Post

All you hear is take whitey's gun's so they don't stop me from destroying the world.
Black and brown people are not allowed to own guns?

I cannot help buy think of some posters on this forum who, if they found themselves in the wrong place, at the wrong time, like this mall, would have taken out a bunch of kids who apparently did not have or use weapons. Some might have considered it their finest hour. That's fine. They would likely have decades in a cell to contemplate their own outcome.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:30 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,118,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
money for programs and more programs don't work, they havent been working. Fixing these problems take not programs, but people becoming pro-active and doing things like mentoring or showing these kids a different route. You say you care about fixing the problems, but like most people like you, it usually means, throw money at the problem, because you do not want to take the time to actually get involved.

If you truly want to help, go and help personally, there are many programs in most of these areas that always need volunteers to help. I can name quite a few on the south side you could help at if you truly cared.
And how exactly do you fund mentoring programs? Private citizens and companies have had the right to create these programs on their own for time immemorial, and outside of church groups and civic minded nfps, they aren't meeting the needs. I'm suggesting exactly what you're saying the is the way we need to fix it, but b/c it involves the gov't filling the private sector shortfall, you're opposed to it.

You're another Conservative so blinded by an irrational hatred of gov't that you can't see that it can work jointly w/ communities and private sectors to again (and emboldened for emphasis) DO EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAY NEEDS TO BE DONE!

And for the record I do volunteer to tutor young kids in a nfp in the city and have been a donor for years to an nfp that I was lucky enough to be a part of.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If chain gangs worked, the murder rates in the South would have been much lower.
The chain gang exists in Arizona on a voluntary basis, for extra credit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_gang

Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,118,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
To my fellow Conservatives, I ask this -
What's the answer?

Talk to the parents? That's been tried a million times. Arrest them? Fine but that will get expensive pretty fast.

I like a multi-pronged approach - one sandwiched with strong police presence and programs/mentorships that offer an alternative. Is this the answer? I don't know but I look at it from a fiscal perspective. It's far, far cheaper to create programs than it is to house multiple people.

Someone said upthread and I must agree. There are cultural leaders but I don't think those people themselves would regard themselves as such. This is the celebrities, athletes, and other strong pop culture personalities. We, as a society, should impress upon them their role in shaping culture for our youth. I know that Hollywood types like to roll their eyes at suggestions like this and say 'but it's not real, it's art'. Well, sorry but that doesn't wash anymore when you have people emulating you.

I like to think of conservatives as a pragmatic people - so what are some fiscally sound yet viable solutions to this issue?
I'm not a Conservative, but since you're one of the few open-minded Conservatives based on the fact that you realize any solution is going to require funding, the solution is getting these kids who have no options for the summer and are at risks for going down the wrong path a way out. Training and a jobs program w/ placement into employers would be a massive benefit to these kids and their neighborhood.

I directed some people to an open enrollment jobs training program for Black & Hispanics for CNC machinists and a few got accepted. There was a HUGE turnout for this. The demand for people to learn skills that lead to jobs is there, but there's a lack of funding to create the necessary programs.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:38 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,635 times
when the Mods away, stormfront jr will play. in other news, thousands of black teenagers graduated from hs this summer and are on their way to college.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:38 PM

73,061 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
To my fellow Conservatives, I ask this -
What's the answer?

Talk to the parents? That's been tried a million times. Arrest them? Fine but that will get expensive pretty fast.

I like a multi-pronged approach - one sandwiched with strong police presence and programs/mentorships that offer an alternative. Is this the answer? I don't know but I look at it from a fiscal perspective. It's far, far cheaper to create programs than it is to house multiple people.

Someone said upthread and I must agree. There are cultural leaders but I don't think those people themselves would regard themselves as such. This is the celebrities, athletes, and other strong pop culture personalities. We, as a society, should impress upon them their role in shaping culture for our youth. I know that Hollywood types like to roll their eyes at suggestions like this and say 'but it's not real, it's art'. Well, sorry but that doesn't wash anymore when you have people emulating you.

I like to think of conservatives as a pragmatic people - so what are some fiscally sound yet viable solutions to this issue?
I was a teenager once(in the early 2000s). It was very inconceivable to me that I would be out brawling in malls. My parents guaranteed that. Sadly, alot of parents are not doing anything about it.

It is expensive to house multiple people. However, there is something else to consider. Prison is profitable for some people. Some prisons actually make money.

I have this to offer. I do feel like if you do the crime, you should do the time. That being said, I do agree that there are some preventative measures that should be taken to make sure that some people don't get into crime. It is also important for the parents to raise their children the right way. When the parents aren't doing their job, there will be a problem.

It is a complicated problem. What do you do when the parents are not raising their children right?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:40 PM

73,061 posts, read 62,670,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
when the Mods away, stormfront jr will play. in other news, thousands of black teenagers graduated from hs this summer and are on their way to college.
Not to mention Black students graduating from college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies