Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 07:04 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
How much does his story really matter though? I think it will come down to whether or not he had the right to use lethal force. A broken nose and two lacerations on the head from a 16 year old aren't going to convince the jury that he had the legal right to use lethal force in self defense. People receive worse damage in bar fights all the time and don't pull out guns.

On another note, GZ said he yelled out "He's trying to kill me!" Couldn't he have yelled to Trayvon "My name is George, I'm with neighborhood watch!"?? Why didn't he do more to mitigate the situation instead of just pulling out a gun?
When the jury hears the law that pertains to self defense in Florida in closing arguments, they will understand that in the moment you don't get to evaluate your injuries when deciding if to use lethal force. You simply have to reasonably believe you may die or suffer great bodily harm. That is the law here.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Pretty hard to get a DEEP cut on your scalp.

-----------------------

It seems to me that allowing the college professor to testify to GM’s record and his class in SYG and sefl defense law is a gift to the defense.

MOM: “So what sort of topics did you teach Mr Zimmerman?”

Prof: “Self defense law.”

MOM: “For example, did you teach him that you do not need to sustain a given amount of injury in order to use deadly force?”

Then it also seems that this opens the door for admission of TM’s record of fighting and aggression.
You can get stitches on your scalp though. Actually, I think they use staples, but still.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Exactly! The PA didn't say that but George did.
Just like with his "broken" nose.

Why anyone would believe a word out of this guy's mouth about anything, but most especially about what really happened that night, is beyond me.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:07 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
Pretty hard to get a DEEP cut on your scalp.

-----------------------

It seems to me that allowing the college professor to testify to GM’s record and his class in SYG and sefl defense law is a gift to the defense.

MOM: “So what sort of topics did you teach Mr Zimmerman?”

Prof: “Self defense law.”

MOM: “For example, did you teach him that you do not need to sustain a given amount of injury in order to use deadly force?”

Then it also seems that this opens the door for admission of TM’s record of fighting and aggression.
The problem with that is he said he had no knowledge but apparently he took a class about it. How did he forget. Didn't you watch him on Hannity?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:17 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times
Quote:
On another note, GZ said he yelled out "He's trying to kill me!" Couldn't he have yelled to Trayvon "My name is George, I'm with neighborhood watch!"?? Why didn't he do more to mitigate the situation instead of just pulling out a gun?
LMAO!!, I will have to remember to say that in the case someone is beating the hell out of me.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The claim has actually been made in this thread.
perhaps but every time some one questions the veracity of Zimmerman's story we see the same retort.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:23 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
When the jury hears the law that pertains to self defense in Florida in closing arguments, they will understand that in the moment you don't get to evaluate your injuries when deciding if to use lethal force. You simply have to reasonably believe you may die or suffer great bodily harm. That is the law here.
And what they heard today shows them that Zimmerman had no injuries of any significance and that Zimmerman is a liar and can not be believed when he says he felt his life was in danger. There is nothing reasonable at all about his belief. It is a lie to save his hide. It's a jury of people, not lawyers. People know when they are hearing BS. Zimmerman is going to hang.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Quote:
How much does his story really matter though? I think it will come down to whether or not he had the right to use lethal force. A broken nose and two lacerations on the head from a 16 year old aren't going to convince the jury that he had the legal right to use lethal force in self defense. People receive worse damage in bar fights all the time and don't pull out guns.

He also could have done that early on when he told the 911 operator that TM was looking at him. He was in his car, he at that point had not violated any of the rules of the watch.
He could have identified himself at that point and just asked.
Hey I'm part of the neighborhood watch. I don't recognize you. Are you new to the neighborhood?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
He also could have done that early on when he told the 911 operator that TM was looking at him. He was in his car, he at that point had not violated any of the rules of the watch.
Hey I'm part of the neighborhood watch. I don't recognize you. Are you new to the neighborhood?
I've seen this quite a bit on this thread. The idea of the butterfly effect. There are any number of decisions made by both Zimmerman and Martin that could have resulted in a different scenario. However, it's important to analyze what happened when the confrontation took place. Thus far, the prosecution has not managed to give any evidence that Zimmerman did not act in self-defense at that critical moment.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:30 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,544,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Exactly and I think that is what most people would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies