Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:30 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I think you meant following democracy, communism, nazism, etc....leads to bloodbath.

Can you name a libertarian government that killed as many as those other forms of government? Didn't think so.

And there have been plenty of libertarian countries out there. But you know that, being a historian and all. lols.
Libertarians try to promote unity as opposed to division. By division you conquer. We don't want to conquer, we want people to be free.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm not a libertarian nor do I have an affiliation. But I noticed a lot of criticism directed towards libertarians (usually from Democrats/statists, of course). Usually when someone talks about liberty and personal freedom, they're heavily debated and criticized.

What do people (mainly liberals) really have against libertarians or anyone who isn't a Democrat or Republican?
alot of the libertarians i come across claim to hate both Dems and Republicans, yet can name nothing they actually hate about Republicans, or simply never criticize them. Being silent is just as bad as defending it. it makes it sound like they are just R's who are socially liberal.

there are also plenty of Republicans who dislike Libertarians because they think they are republicans without a back bone.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
If you knew the libertarian party is funded by the Koch Bros., maybe you'd acquire a firmer opinion. You do know who the Koch Bros. are, don't you? Libertarian + Republicans = teabaggers.
I am well aware of who the Koch Bros are and I am well aware that the Tea Party caters to their demands without being aware of what they are doing.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:54 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm not a libertarian nor do I have an affiliation. But I noticed a lot of criticism directed towards libertarians (usually from Democrats/statists, of course). Usually when someone talks about liberty and personal freedom, they're heavily debated and criticized.

What do people (mainly liberals) really have against libertarians or anyone who isn't a Democrat or Republican?
Because their viewpoint is incredibly unrealistic. It's something a great many have a juvenile tryst with, but then they usually come to their senses. I say juvenile, because to support such a philosophy in modern society is to deny how much more complex society is today than 300 years ago.

Unless you're really rich, then libertarianism makes perfect sense.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
When the Republicans and Democrats stop catering to the Military-Industrial Complex, the Banks and the Police state

Then you will have Libertarians holding seats....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
they don't have the purchasing power of the mainstream parties. I will take your party more seriously when the troops come home, and you stop deporting mexicans.
At the end of the day, it is the people that vote politicians into seats, if the Libertarians had a real message and people to run for those seats that had any connection with the people, they would have a better chance to win those seats, but when someone claims to be a Libertarian but votes for the Republican each election, how do you expect a Libertarian to ever win a seat?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I think you meant following democracy, communism, nazism, etc....leads to bloodbath.

Can you name a libertarian government that killed as many as those other forms of government? Didn't think so.

And there have been plenty of libertarian countries out there. But you know that, being a historian and all. lols.
Can you name one Libertarian government?

Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How is your utopian view of letting government run it, working out?
I don't think you know what "utopian" means.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
they don't have the purchasing power of the mainstream parties. I will take your party more seriously when the troops come home, and you stop deporting mexicans.

Bullogna!
Quote:
The brothers contribute a large amount of money to a variety of conservative, libertarian
Political activities of the Koch brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tea Party Funding Koch Brothers Emerge From Anonymity - Peter Fenn (usnews.com)

Kind of strange saying libertarians don't have purchasing power, knowing that money flows into the libertarian party like a wide open faucet.

When the troops come home? Please, look up the Koch Bros. and find out what and who it is they support.
The Richest People in America - Forbes

The Koch Bros. rank # 4 for the wealthiest Americans, according to Forbes. That should say something.

Quote:
Koch Industries won massive government contracts using their close relationship with the Bush administration. The Bush administration, in a deal even conservatives alleged was a quid pro quo because of Koch’s campaign donations, handed Koch Industries a lucrative contract to supply the nation’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve with 8 million barrels of crude oil. The SPR deal, done initially in 2002, was renewed in 2004 by Bush administration officials. During the occupation of Iraq, Koch won significant contracts to buy Iraqi crude oil.
REPORT: How Koch Industries Makes Billions By Demanding Bailouts And Taxpayer Subsidies (Part 1) | ThinkProgress

Who'll guard the oil fields to protect their interests? American troops.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That's not true, they have various opinions - that is what you don't like, they don't fit into your box because they are individuals.
Majority of self proclaimed libertarians are for corporate rights over individual rights.

You can't be a libertarian and support bans on abortion, drugs, prostitution, bare knuckle fighting, etc...

You can't be libertarian and support Arizona's SB1070 show me your papers law. You can't be libertarian and support mandatory ID's.

These libertarians are no more individual than Microsoft, but hey, corporations are people too.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:13 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Why would you say that? Because Wall Street banks and corporations won't fund a libertarian? That is true. They are serious, but won't have the bucks to buy or rig an election. The media won't give them fair coverage either.
Have you ever attended, seen or read transcripts of a Libertarian convention? They devote hours of time to debating what essentially boils down to, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" They used to push for basically a loyalty oath in which you swear allegiance to the non-coercion principle. This is similar to what the American Communist Party did, insisting on some sort of oath. You'll observe that neither the Democrats nor Republicans insist you subscribe to some principle before joining. They'll take anyone who says they want to join. That's because they're actual organizations with some sort of order. If I were a journalist and I attended the Libertarian Convention, I wouldn't take it seriously, either. It's like a meeting of undergrad philosophy majors debating whether we can be certain that we exist. Them, along with some genuine looney tunes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies