Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:30 AM

6,084 posts, read 6,053,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
It can't be made legal by a state due to the Supremacy clause. If PA wants to pass a law by turning their back on the Constitution then they will be in rebellion.
Colorado and Washington legalized it for recreational use and the feds seems to be keeping a hands off approach so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:39 AM

593 posts, read 471,032 times
Marijuana is still illegal because it's hard to contain and tax by the Government. If left alone it will grow wild. I wouldn't be surprised if you ride down any highway USA and pull over, you just might trip over a marijuana plant.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,780,122 times
Boomers did the heavy lifting in advancing this issue. All we ask is that you take the mantle across the finish line without [MOD CUT] it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'm not waiting on a couple of generations. Can't do it alone, but I don't believe my generation is that apathetic.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-09-2013 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: profanity

Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,142,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Boomewrs did the heavy lifting in advancing this issue. All we ask is that you take the mantle across the finish line without [MOD CUT] it up
Much appreciated and we will do so humbly

You guys were very organized. Big applause from me.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-09-2013 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,942,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Colorado and Washington legalized it for recreational use and the feds seems to be keeping a hands off approach so far.
Well you can see from my link earlier, they didn't in CA.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
However, I am not in favor of the whole supremacy clause idea. It amts to ultimate power in a corporate hierarchy.
Not a supporter of control freaks or condemnation.

Unfortunately, interpretation of law and the whole idea of govt granted rights can be a big hairy mess.
Well this particular treaty isn't self executing. It doesn't define laws or penalties. That is still left up to Congress. It just dictates that Congress will do something. I think there's a case snaking it's way at SCOTUS about the danger of a treaty restricting the Constitution itself. Is that legal? Well that's a topic for another thread but it does hurt my thread.

And amen on the second point.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Yup, accept being unconstitutional generally makes a law illegal which generally means it isn't legalized but that's a technicality. Obama has decided to forgo the Constitution as other presidents before him have not because he is evil it's just the easy approach. See DOMA and one other I can't remember.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,988,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It wasn't just oil that couldn't compete. Wood paper couldn't compete either. You can make paper from hemp as well. Those who were invested in lumber and paper didn't want to see hemp legal because you can make paper from it.

I'm not for getting high. However, putting people in prison for its use is a waste of time and money. Go after real criminals like rapists and child molesters.
I didn't know that the paper industry was also behind the 1936 law as oil was. How do you know this? Paper was around a long time before oil. Not doubting you just want more info on how you know.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
And these are reasons marijuana is illegal?
Pot was legal up to 1936. Hemp ran the world like oil does today once. Even the oil from the seeds was used to make very early plastics, bio degradable plastics at that.

I am not for the recreational use. A pot head should be unable to drive from the first puff for the next 3 weeks! No Pot head should be able to fly a plane, or run any machines for the same 3 weeks. Clean blood test or no workee... I for sure don't want my lawyers and doctors to smoke pot. But I don't care of Democrat politicians do

Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatWing View Post
Marijuana is still illegal because it's hard to contain and tax by the Government. If left alone it will grow wild. I wouldn't be surprised if you ride down any highway USA and pull over, you just might trip over a marijuana plant.
I have seen just that alongside roads in Nebraska. Not fields of it, just plants here and there alongside the roads. I assumed it was old left over gone wild stock from rope making. I know another place in Newburyport Mass where it grows wild and was for rope making right down town. I bet if one were to try it out they would get a nasty cough and a bad head......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies