Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:13 PM

73,067 posts, read 62,694,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I didn't know that the paper industry was also behind the 1936 law as oil was. How do you know this? Paper was around a long time before oil. Not doubting you just want more info on how you know.
Actually, it was William Randolph Hearst that wanted marijuana to be banned. I got it mixed up. Hearst had alot of land with trees, and paper comes from trees. He didn't want to lose his money, so he campaigned against marijuana. There are theories that he was behind marijuana being banned because he wanted a monopoly on the paper industry. There are also theories that DuPont wanted it banned because it came out with Nylon. Hemp makes a strong fiber as well.

Nafta & Neocolonialism: Comparative Criminal, Human & Social Justice - Laurence Armand French, Magdaleno Manzanárez - Google Books
Legalizing Marijuana: Drug Policy Reform and Prohibition Politics - Rudolph Joseph Gerber - Google Books

Another issue was prejudice towards foreigners and Blacks. That was another reason many people wanted it banned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 06:56 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
First, go here:
Why is Marijuana Illegal? « Drug WarRant

Now, scroll down to the heading "Marijuana tax act of 1937". Read about Dr. William C. Woodward appearing before the Committee, and what was said.

Now, go here:
Statement of Dr. William C. Woodward, Legislative Council, American Medical Association

Read more about the hearing.

Now, do your own research about the issue, and see what you find.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:40 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,665,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
First, go here:
Why is Marijuana Illegal? « Drug WarRant

Now, scroll down to the heading "Marijuana tax act of 1937". Read about Dr. William C. Woodward appearing before the Committee, and what was said.

Now, go here:
Statement of Dr. William C. Woodward, Legislative Council, American Medical Association

Read more about the hearing.

Now, do your own research about the issue, and see what you find.
And from reading on Woodward, one can learn that marijuana was essentially banned banned by the Marijuana tax act of 1937, because it was fatal and deadly:

The Chairman: I would like to read a quotation from a recent editorial in the Washington Times:
The marihuana cigarette is one of the most insidious of all forms of dope, largely because of the failure of the public to understand its fatal qualities.
The Nation is almost defenseless against it, having no Federal laws to cope with it and virtually no organized campaign for combating it.
The result is tragic.
School children are the prey of peddlers who infest school neighborhoods.
High school boys and girls buy the destructive weed without knowledge of its capacity of harm, and conscienceless dealers sell it with impunity.
This is a national problem, and it must have national attention.
The fatal marihuana cigarette must be recognized as a deadly drug, and American children must be protected against it.
That is a pretty severe indictment. They say it is a national question and that it requires effective legislation. Of course, in a general way, you have responded to all of these statements; but that indicates very clearly that it is an evil of such magnitude that it is recognized by the press of the country as such.
The Washington Post had this to say recently in an editorial:
With a Federal law on the books, a more ambitious attack can be launched. It is time to wipe out the evil before it potentiates for national degeneracy become more apparent. The legislation just introduced in Congress by Representative Doughton would further this end. Its speedy passage is desirable.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:58 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,940,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And from reading on Woodward, one can learn that marijuana was essentially banned banned by the Marijuana tax act of 1937, because it was fatal and deadly:

The Chairman: I would like to read a quotation from a recent editorial in the Washington Times:
The marihuana cigarette is one of the most insidious of all forms of dope, largely because of the failure of the public to understand its fatal qualities.
The Nation is almost defenseless against it, having no Federal laws to cope with it and virtually no organized campaign for combating it.
The result is tragic.
School children are the prey of peddlers who infest school neighborhoods.
High school boys and girls buy the destructive weed without knowledge of its capacity of harm, and conscienceless dealers sell it with impunity.
This is a national problem, and it must have national attention.
The fatal marihuana cigarette must be recognized as a deadly drug, and American children must be protected against it.
That is a pretty severe indictment. They say it is a national question and that it requires effective legislation. Of course, in a general way, you have responded to all of these statements; but that indicates very clearly that it is an evil of such magnitude that it is recognized by the press of the country as such.
The Washington Post had this to say recently in an editorial:
With a Federal law on the books, a more ambitious attack can be launched. It is time to wipe out the evil before it potentiates for national degeneracy become more apparent. The legislation just introduced in Congress by Representative Doughton would further this end. Its speedy passage is desirable.
Yeah to somebodies pocket book, no doubt. Interesting what happened to meth at the same time frame.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,988,727 times
"And from reading on Woodward, one can learn that marijuana was essentially banned banned by the Marijuana tax act of 1937, because it was fatal and deadly:"

Please cite the studies since 1937 that show the fatalities from the use of the "deadly weed". Please limit them to DIRECT fatalities from marihuana use.
I don't know if there are any such studies or not, but it would be interesting to find out.

By the way, for those who think everybody on these threads are potheads, I don't use it, never have used it, don't want to use it. Nor have I used any other non-prescription drug except for tobacco. I quit using tobacco as a form of tax protest.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:18 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,982,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, it was William Randolph Hearst that wanted marijuana to be banned. I got it mixed up. Hearst had alot of land with trees, and paper comes from trees. He didn't want to lose his money, so he campaigned against marijuana. There are theories that he was behind marijuana being banned because he wanted a monopoly on the paper industry. There are also theories that DuPont wanted it banned because it came out with Nylon. Hemp makes a strong fiber as well.

Nafta & Neocolonialism: Comparative Criminal, Human & Social Justice - Laurence Armand French, Magdaleno Manzanárez - Google Books
Legalizing Marijuana: Drug Policy Reform and Prohibition Politics - Rudolph Joseph Gerber - Google Books

Another issue was prejudice towards foreigners and Blacks. That was another reason many people wanted it banned.
Hmm I wonder where Hearst's trees were... I know where his mansion is, but the trees are not there for sure. he must have had holdings in the east.

When I say OIL was behind it in 1935 I mean all OIL and all forms of oil which count all companies that made other items of oil, items no one at the time knew could be made of oil.

Before oil there were plastics. Some of these were as early as 1900, which was pretty much pre oil. One type was called bakalite which was a non electrical conduction plastic used well into the mid 20th century and maybe still is but i haven't seen any new items made of it in a while.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:43 PM

893 posts, read 1,208,425 times
Sociopaths who think they should be able to control everyone else's lives are pretty much the only people left who think marijuana should be illegal anymore. (Or that abortions should be illegal, or that gay marriage should be illegal, or that guns should be illegal, etc.)

Unfortunately, these are the kind of people who run for office...

Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,764,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxtigers3 View Post
Whoever thinks marijuana should not be legal, please go watch the video in the link below.
Why is Marijuana Illegal? Because the Reps and Dems in power want to tell us what we can eat, drink and smoke.

Big Government idiots love to control other people.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM

37,953 posts, read 17,893,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't get the point of this. There are many more stories of alcoholics who do far worse than just let their hair grow too long and lose ambition. Why use an example of someone who abused a substance as proof that users should go to jail for using it, especially when so many other legal substances cause much more damage when abused?

NO ONE here is advocating abuse of any substance. Aside from this, it's not like people can't already get pot easily, all legalization would do would be to keep people from being made criminals for it.
Agreed. Or prescription drugs which harms many more people than weed. Or food. How many peoples lives have been ruined because they are obese?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:50 PM

50,880 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Why is Marijuana Illegal? Because the Reps and Dems in power want to tell us what we can eat, drink and smoke.

Big Government idiots love to control other people.
I don't think most of them even think it should be illegal. Bill Mahar once stated on his show, that even his Republican guests tell him privately off air that most of them (Dems and Repubs) think it should be legal but none of them want to be the one to say it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies