Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 03:47 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I pay the same taxes as everybody else. You think Walmart is causing the nations taxes to go up? LOL.

Actually if you look at the poverty level making 8 bucks an hour you are above the poverty level if your single or a couple. If you have kids and are working at Walmart making 8 bucks an hour you should be looking for a different job. Or if you and your spouse both work at Walmart making 8 bucks an hour you will fall above the poverty line for a family of five. So what are you even talking about?

ASPE
Apparently WalMart is responsible not only for your wages, but the number of kids you have too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
I'm sure if the walmart haters had their way they would love to go after walmart to pay child support. lol

Old 07-11-2013, 04:00 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Let me tell you that here in Canada Walmart is the lousiest of any of the major grocery stores. They will never make it here if they don't improve a LOT. I just hate their sneaky way of selling things. A package of meat for $10. WTF????? How much per pound??? It should be illegal to sell like that. I'm a thrifty shopper and I would lose a lot of money if I grocery shopped at Walmart. All the major grocery stores have big sales on items every week. Not Walmart. They claim to price match but make it very difficult because of packaging differences, size differences and just plain don't carry the item. Those Mom and Pop stores you are talking about, they are "Convenience" stores and are not meant to be primary shopping destinations.
I don't care about Canada most Americans don't .

Old 07-11-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I don't know how things work up in the land of maple syrup but if you can't figure out that something is cheaper at walmart than your regular grocery or vice verse then you aren't a very frugal shopper like you claim. I know what I buy on a pretty regular basis to feed the kids and know what is cheaper at wally world than my usual store and what is cheaper at my usual store than walmart. I never buy meat at walmart.
Yup me neither. I suppose it's fresh to some degree but I get good quality at a decent price at Wegman's if I'm in a bind I'll go to Giant.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Now -

How much extra do you pay in taxes to supply the underpaid WM workers with health care and food stamps because they are below the poverty level?

That is a very real cost that you need to factor into all the "cheap" stuff you buy there.
Please you liberals would find some other way to spend the money.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:07 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
This new law will force Mom & Pop stores to raise their wages to compete with the Box Stores.

It may put many out of business.

Unintended consequences.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:07 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Let me tell you that here in Canada Walmart is the lousiest of any of the major grocery stores. They will never make it here if they don't improve a LOT. I just hate their sneaky way of selling things. A package of meat for $10. WTF????? How much per pound??? It should be illegal to sell like that. I'm a thrifty shopper and I would lose a lot of money if I grocery shopped at Walmart. All the major grocery stores have big sales on items every week. Not Walmart. They claim to price match but make it very difficult because of packaging differences, size differences and just plain don't carry the item. Those Mom and Pop stores you are talking about, they are "Convenience" stores and are not meant to be primary shopping destinations.
What choice does the working poor have if they live in a food dessert? Hope in the Volvo with the 2 kids, dog and cat and drive out to Maryland?

NO, they use their meager means to buy Ramen at the convenience store at twice the price of a regular store and four times as much as the WalMart.

So, why should Mom and Pop be charging 4x the price and paying their workers 1/3 less than WalMart has to without offering healthy selections for the simple reason their store is too small?

Talk about cutting off noses. And here, where I live they are certainly the price leader except when there are big sales at a grocery store. Every day prices are lower usually by far.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:02 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This new law will force Mom & Pop stores to raise their wages to compete with the Box Stores.

Unintended consequences.
According to this study:
Quote:
Even if Walmart were to pass 100 percent of the wage increase on to consumers, the average impact
on a Walmart shopper would be quite small: 1.1 percent of prices, well below Walmart's estimated
savings to consumers. This works out to $0.46 per shopping trip, or $12.49 per year, for the average
consumer who spends approximately $1,187 per year at Walmart. This is the most extreme estimate,
as portions of the raise could be absorbed through other mechanisms, including increased productivity or lower profit margins.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:35 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Unintended consequences.
And people will drive in from outside the district seeking higher wages at WalMart therefore allowing WalMart to pick people with more experience therefore making the working poor compete harder for jobs they probably won't qualify for.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
There is no way in hell that Wally would pay the sky-high real estate prices in Montgomery County, Md, Arlington County, Va, the City of Alexandria, Va., or northwestern Fairfax County, Va. That leaves Prince Georges County, Md where Wally already has several stores close to the DC line.
One never knows, but in all lilihood, 6 stores would have created 2,000 jobs for people who will remain unemployed for years after this whole matter is forgotten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies