Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I reject the notion that the are saviors of the poor they are a business. However their business does help the poor by keeping staple items affordable and providing jobs. DC will survive however the poor, Black parts will continue to muddle along with no major investment or jobs but who cares eh?
Look, I'll tell you like I tell the white posters; ad hominem racial arguments don't work with me, so miss me with all that. If this is business, then stick PURELY to business since that's the line you're taking. Wal-Mart wants to make money in D.C...not help black people.

Keep it 100.

Now again, I'm not against Wal-Mart one way or another. I don't give a damn about D.C. All I'm saying is that no one can seem to make a case about their presence being earth shattering for the area. Moreover, if they were gonna have that big of an impact, I doubt Wal-Mart would've walked away from the table. Over a few bucks? I can't see it.

Of course, I understand that they're holding the line and playing hardball...that's what they do. They don't like to give an inch. Fine. But D.C....even the poorer residents, will live on just the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 11:00 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so is Nike (Oregon)
Nike is based in Oregon. I'm willing to bet they haven't manufactured a product in the United States since the Carter Administration.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
It wouldn't just affect Walmart but also stores like Costco as well. People cannot surive in DC on $7 an hour in a city were average rent runs around $1800 a month.
uhm...welcome to UNSKILLED RETAIL

the last time I made $7 hr was 35 years ago working as a new car prep (before making it to class c mech, class b mech, class a mech, shop foreman, service manager)

Last edited by workingclasshero; 07-11-2013 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 11:02 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Somehow I don't see Walmart doing that, I hope DC does pass this bill, it will be a good move for the working class of the city.
" it will be a good move for the working class of the city.' How? It ONLY applies to BIG box stores. it is a "special' wage ONLY for them. Hence, no big national company will build there.

1,963 posts, read 1,823,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Mininum wage IS enough to live on if added to a spouse that works a legitimate full-time career.
Thats like saying "You could survive for a week on a can of peas provided you have a friend who lets you share his meals with him everyday."

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
It wouldn't just affect Walmart but also stores like Costco as well. People cannot surive in DC on $7 an hour in a city were average rent runs around $1800 a month.
But they can survive without jobs, eh? This was politically targeted to Wal-Mart existing stores are exempt.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:04 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
I've heard that the Washington DC City Council is passing a law called a "Living-Wage Law", that says someone working for a large retailer like Wal-mart in the city, must be paid at least 1-1/2 times the city's Minimum Wage. The purpose, they say, is so that the person can support a family (I presume a family of 4?) on his wages.

What if his work (clerking or stocking or whatever) doesn't increase Wal-mart's revenue by that much?

What cosmic law suddenly made Wal-mart responsible for this person's family? I thought Wal-mart was founded to sell good and make a profit for the people who risked their money to invest in it and set it up?

Did God hand down a new commandment, saying that a family's needs must be supplied by working as a clerk or stocker for Wal-mart?

As far as I know, that kind of work has never been sufficient to support a family of four. Someone who tries to support such a family while only working for Wal-mart, is himself guilty of neglect. It's no different from trying to lift a 50-pound weight by using only a piece of kite string.

Does someone think they can change that by passing a law?
Here's a trivia for you. What cosmic law was passed that allowed wealthy manufacturers to outsource millions of living wage jobs to 3rd world countries which allowed other wealthy companies to sell that slave wage junk back in the US, specifically by Wall Mart who employs super duper low paid employees? Give up?

Last edited by jmking; 07-11-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-11-2013, 11:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Costco's average wage is already $17.00 an hour. This rule wouldn't be too much of an issue for them.

http://hbr.org/2006/12/the-high-cost-of-low-wages/ar/1

Correction: according to this more recent article, Costco's average wage is $21.96 an hour.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/201...ing-wage-bill/

Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Costco's average wage is already $17.00 an hour. This rule wouldn't be too much of an issue for them.
That's why Costco's CEO pushes for a minimum wage hike. It won't affect him, only his competitors. Shrewd.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" it will be a good move for the working class of the city.' How? It ONLY applies to BIG box stores. it is a "special' wage ONLY for them. Hence, no big national company will build there.
Oh if you allow unions you're exempt. So Giant and Safeway are exempt of course Giant and Safeway are going under in this area but shhhh not supposed to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies