Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 10:52 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I'm surprised conservatives would even support such a filthy corporation.
I think you had the answer all along:

Quote:
They're slime with their employees & benefits.

Walmart is the shining conservative pinnacle of the race to the bottom. Ever-lower wages, ever-decreasing benefits, ever-inflated profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:53 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
it will survive. Thrive/ i think not.

Remember the Mayor worked very hare to get Wal-Mart to come into D.C in the first place. There are very few big box stores of any kind in the areas the mayor and Wal-mart agreed to put stores in.

The other politicians are biting the hand that could feed them.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
From WaPO:

If WalMart already pay $12.39 an hour in VA, they should have no problem with the $12.50 number in DC.
Thanks for this.

So, the city council essentially codified what Walmart promised. The nerve.

Methinks they just outright lied about what they were planning to pay.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:56 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
I love the idea, especially for stores like WalMart. I think the thing people forget about Walmart is that it's a massive leech.

When they move into a community, it creates jobs. But over the years it forces other small businesses out and there's a net loss in jobs. Then b/c of their pathetic pay structure, there's a drop in consumer spending since they usually end up among the biggest employers in their area. And usually, the majority of the money that gets spent at any Walmart location gets taken out of that community and distributed up to their executives. Walmart gets away w/ it b/c people can buy things for cheap, but in the long run, most communities are better off w/o a WM.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They will either pay higher prices or drive outside of DC to find lower ones.
And let's NOT forget the argument against voter ID's. Many argue that the elderly poor CANNOT get transportation to get a card.

So, how are THEY going to be able to drive to the suburbs in order to get lower prices?

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the real question is why would the politicians go after (SINGLE OUT) walmart, yet exempt other companies like sav-a-lot????

if DC city wants to set a min wage(or living wage) at ??$$, that's fine...but have it be toward EVERY COMPANY...not the WITCHHUNT they are doing against walmart
It wouldn't just affect Walmart but also stores like Costco as well. People cannot surive in DC on $7 an hour in a city were average rent runs around $1800 a month.

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Wal-Mart is a dump that attracts trash. Trash brings crime. They deal with China. They're slime with their employees & benefits. I'm surprised conservatives would even support such a filthy corporation.
You just hate Wal-Mart shoppers.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

So you're cheap. I get it. I just personally have no interest in paying for stuff made by children in Asia making 10 cents a day. I don't shop at Macy's or Nordstrom, and I sure as hell don't buy "fashion footwear." I just spend a lot of timing searching for reasonably good stuff, preferably made in America, and if not, at least in a reasonable facsimile of a Western nation.

As long as people keep rewarding China and Bangladesh for their atrocious labor practices, they'll happily beat children and build crappy factories that fall down to supply you with your stuff. And rewarding crappy employers like Walmart, instead of good ones like Costco, ensures that we'll continue to have crappy employers.

In fact, most large department stores have crappy records in things that matter to me. I buy from local people when I can, and second hand when I have to, to avoid Macy's, Nordstrom's, JC Penney, etc.

Contrary to what some folks here think, I'm not a communist so capitalism is where it's at for the US. But enlightened capitalism that rewards good behavior doesn't happen without people encouraging it. That's why I do what I do. You do what you do, I can't change your mind.
huh??

how dare you roll you eyes at me...what are you 16???

apparently you didnt read...or FAILED to read

of the 3 (THREE) items I mentioned all three are american companies, Cocacola is american made...so is DanRiver sheet sets..so is Nike (Oregon)

so you buy from local people...and you buy what...what their buyer got from china???

the FACT is a small mom+pop cant keep up ....not because of cheaper stuff. or cheaper quality...but becauise the BIGGER stores buy in BULK

most mom+pop store have trouble just getting the property taxes paid

you show a naiveness in your posts

Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Mininum wage IS enough to live on if added to a spouse that works a legitimate full-time career.
Good point! Maybe we should have a rule that if you make minimum wage, you must be married to someone who has a "legitimate full-time career." That'll work! I wonder, do you think most minimum-wage earners have that luxury?

Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
All this episode shows is the utter contempt liberals in particular white liberals have for poor people. It's ideology or nothing. Wal-Mart's workers are on public assistance they screech. Ok and considering they took the job what other options do they have? I guess liberals prefer they stay at home. Whole Foods pays its workers the same and bans Spanish yet nary a peep from liberals.Why because liberals patron Whole Foods. How many people on food stamps shop at Wal-Mart compared to Whole Foods?

The areas in Dc where Wal-Mart was going to open were in poor Black areas where grocery stores and business in general are nearly non-existent. One center where the store would be located has been without an anchor for 23 years but hey Wal-Mart's bad! So no jobs for the poor Blacks in the neighborhood.
" in particular white liberals". I believe the vast majority of politicians in D.C. that are trying to push Wal-Mart out are black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies