Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 06:25 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Why does everyone keep blaming Wal-Mart for the fact that full-time at minimum wage doesn't prevent the (perceived) need for government assistance? Shouldn't we be asking why that rate is the minimum wage in the first place?
Yes, we should. And the answer is that the right wants to completely eliminate minimum wage, so there's no way in hell it would be raised above poverty level. Ask Michelle Bachmann.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,176,681 times
Wal-Mart is take a huge gamble moving into this area. The stores will be magnets for shoplifters and criminals preying on the customers in the parking lots..

Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I agree, the Living Wage law should apply to all employers. The easier thing to do is pass a Minimum Wage law that's higher than the federal law. Many states do this.
Yeah and when wage inflation causes prices to inflate we'll need to inflate wages again which causes prices to inflate.

Sounds like an inflation circle.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

Look, the reality is that the average american worker is competing. . .and you can't sit on your ass anymore and expect a job versus someone in Asia, Europe, Russia, etc. yet the global wage is rising, and more customers are being born everyday. My company expects nice profits from rising middle classes in developing nations such as India, China, and Indonesia.

The pie is getting bigger, but you have to work to get your slice. In the past US citizens could sit on their ass and coast on their passport.

Now they need to train/work/earn their living

eh, the free ride is over. . .but thats better for the world. We don't reward and give money to idiots with no skills. If you compete iwth a non-english speaker in another country for wages. . .than you did something wrong.
So you're saying it's a good thing that we all live off the backs of people in third world countries making pennies a day? Thus driving down our own standard of living to their level? That's what you envision for the US?

Fabulous. What a dream for the future. I know I'm in the minority, but I try to find American-made goods when I can and willingly pay more for them. I'm not interested in becoming China West.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Read the beginning of the thread. We're trying our hardest to destroy our national economic wellbeing with the cheapest wages, cheapest goods, worst infrastructure, largest class divide. Just like, oh, your average Central American banana republic.

I don't actually expect you to understand, but you asked.
Help me, I don't understand.

Why did they not make this wage the minimum for all businesses in DC ?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:34 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
At least now people know how to get a Walmart out of their town.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Help me, I don't understand.

Why did they not make this wage the minimum for all businesses in DC ?
I don't know and that's not what I'm commenting on. I do find this specific bill mystifying. But I was talking about a more general concept that others were discussing up thread.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I don't know and that's not what I'm commenting on. I do find this specific bill mystifying. But I was talking about a more general concept that others were discussing up thread.
Sounds like unequal treatment under the laws.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
That's the point. Employers should be willing to pay more than minimum wage, and consumers should be willing to pay more in order to keep our economy afloat, instead of driving it into the the dirt of a third world country. You know, something that benefits the country. You know, all of us.

But you righties want the US to be a third world country in order to siphon even more money off to your corporate masters, so you encourage this kind of BS argument.
Our economy does not depend on 2% of US workers and people will not work for less than they think they are worth. Only 1% of workers in DC even make min wage. They still have high poverty & crime rates though.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
At least now people know how to get a Walmart out of their town.
Yep, they should move just over the city line and suck all those sales tax dollars out of the city.

I'd bet those other cities would give them a tax break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies