Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 05:44 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,124,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
That's just it.

Lefties create an enemy and demonize it regardless of the truth.
Cause that is what the daily letter told them to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrails6 View Post
Then, watch your prices go up at Walmart! Up until now, I have saved thousands of dollars buying from them. I love Walmart.
I hate it and already willingly pay more to shop elsewhere because it's what I believe is the right thing to do. As others pointed out above, going cheap is a sure road to the bottom. So I practice what I preach.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
If "living wage" is so important - why didn't they make it a city wide deal?
Precisely. Glad someone else is asking this. So long as people keep Wal-Mart in their cross hairs, they won't be able to realize that this is an issue of local minimum wage, which is the responsibility of the same local governments demanding Wal-Mart's head on a silver platter. Oh the irony.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
What do you propose for the tens of millions of Americans who have neither a high school diploma or even a GED? Should they, per our logic, be trained as brain surgeons? Who would hire them for even a cent more than absolute minimum wage, and why would they hire them?
That's the point. Employers should be willing to pay more than minimum wage, and consumers should be willing to pay more in order to keep our economy afloat, instead of driving it into the the dirt of a third world country. You know, something that benefits the country. You know, all of us.

But you righties want the US to be a third world country in order to siphon even more money off to your corporate masters, so you encourage this kind of BS argument.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I hate it and already willingly pay more to shop elsewhere because it's what I believe is the right thing to do. As others pointed out above, going cheap is a sure road to the bottom. So I practice what I preach.
Would you mind explaining in more detail?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:15 AM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post

Wow- Is that all it takes to get rid of Wal-Mart? Let's hope other cities do the same.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
GDP grew by .2% in the UK last year and purchasing power is 34% lower there than the USA.

Cost Of Living Comparison Between United States And United Kingdom
Food Price Comparison – US and UK | Mind Set Central
America Spends Less on Food Than Any Other Country | Mother Jones

The USA is by far the cheapest first world country to live in.
Exactly. And consequently the quality of life sucks here. You want cheap, I want quality. You want those already at the top to have more, I want a more equal society. Not that it could ever be completely equal, before you jump in with that crazy "COMMIE!" stuff. Just better than it is now.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Would you mind explaining in more detail?
Read the beginning of the thread. We're trying our hardest to destroy our national economic wellbeing with the cheapest wages, cheapest goods, worst infrastructure, largest class divide. Just like, oh, your average Central American banana republic.

Except those places are trying hard to lift themselves up, while we're trying to drive ourselves down.

And since I don't want to race to the bottom by living on the backs of minimum wage workers with no benefits, or the poorly-paid Chinese workers who create cheap crap for WalMart to sell, I don't shop at WalMart. I pay more for stuff. That's how I believe it should be.

I don't actually expect you to understand, but you asked.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:21 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post

Any "floor" on wages will be associated with increased unemployment. I mean if the only job they can get is wal-mart, and they aren't worth enough for wal-mart to hire them

Thats life

Just don't gripe when they sit outside on the porch all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Read the beginning of the thread. We're trying our hardest to destroy our national economic wellbeing with the cheapest wages, cheapest goods, worst infrastructure, largest class divide
Yeah, because Mom and Pop grocery stores paid their employees SOOOO welll.

Look, the reality is that the average american worker is competing. . .and you can't sit on your ass anymore and expect a job versus someone in Asia, Europe, Russia, etc. yet the global wage is rising, and more customers are being born everyday. My company expects nice profits from rising middle classes in developing nations such as India, China, and Indonesia.

The pie is getting bigger, but you have to work to get your slice. In the past US citizens could sit on their ass and coast on their passport.

Now they need to train/work/earn their living

eh, the free ride is over. . .but thats better for the world. We don't reward and give money to idiots with no skills. If you compete iwth a non-english speaker in another country for wages. . .than you did something wrong.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:22 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Precisely. Glad someone else is asking this. So long as people keep Wal-Mart in their cross hairs, they won't be able to realize that this is an issue of local minimum wage, which is the responsibility of the same local governments demanding Wal-Mart's head on a silver platter. Oh the irony.
It's not a matter of "minimum wage" or "living wage" or any type of "wage" at all.
This is about Union dues ..... Wal-Mart gets a "waiver" if they become a Union shop.

I feel sorry for the people in Ward 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies