Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times

Advertisements

Walmart should go right over the city / county line and suck all those sales, property tax dollars out of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Wow, poor Walmart will have to pay more than the .40 per hour they pay subsidized workers? Oh the humanity.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:00 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,767,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Considering how many Walmart employees are on public assistance, it would actually save the tax payer more if they fold.
I'm sure the % isn't as high but I know a lot of government workers on assistance too. You'd think my local government figured that in to their pay. Yet, they are also building a pension that most of us won't see. Wouldn't want to make that money because I wouldn't want to take a job with the forethought of applying for foodstamps. They just moving the cups around.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:01 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's a bluff. Walmart is successful in Canada with it's higher taxes, more regulations, and higher minimum wages. Plus Walmart typically pays more than minimum wage wage ..so their wage increase will be less than the gap between minimum wage and the living wage.
Of course it is. The far right media in the US relies on the worldly ignorance of their audience to push their BS. If you pay attention to the right-wing extremists on here, you'd think a country like the UK would be an economically depressed nightmare, that crushes the dreams of its citizens with its such burdensome regulations and sky high taxes. Yet, when I went to the UK for the first time in my life (first time outside of the country besides Niagara Falls), I've seen more small businesses and small franchises than you can shake a stick at, and nary a Walmart in site. Yet, food is FAR FAR cheaper in the UK than at Walmart in the US. Give me a friggin' break I saw the same exact thing in Germany. Restaurants there are similar in prices to here, and they have the same sky high taxes and regulations like the UK does, heck probably even more. Oh, let's not forget that $8 per gallon gas and about $9 for diesel that they pay. How do those poor trucking companies survive having to sell their goods low enough for the supermarkets to sell their standard food items at £2 or €3? 2 pounds of inexpensive beef here runs about $8, in the UK the same package probably cost £6, and this is the store having to pay for that $9 per gallon diesel that the truckers pay to get their goods to the store in the first place. What is wrong with this picture?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So that's your solution then? Move them from poor to working poor? That's making real progress, alright

One Walmart's Low Wages Could Cost Taxpayers $900,000 Per Year, House Dems Find

That's in Wisconsin, a low cost of living state compared to D.C. You live in Texas, you have no idea just how expensive everything is up here. We can't survive on Texas wages up here. Well, you could, you just have to turn the heat off in the long, cold winters
Maybe the democrats should be ticked that the welfare crowd has more kids than the educated crowd. Nah, that's crazy, let's blame WMT for forcing people to work there and not get an education.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Maybe the democrats should be ticked that the welfare crowd has more kids than the educated crowd. Nah, that's crazy, let's blame WMT for forcing people to work there and not get an education.
I see you have nothing to say refuting what I linked

Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This. It's a bit of a mystery to me why so many in this country think we need to race to the bottom - non-livable pay, no benefits, poor working conditions, as if that will somehow make everything magically "better." It's absolutely a race we can't win, and it's one we shouldn't be interested in playing. Heck, even those countries currently at the bottom are trying to lift themselves up, not fighting to see who can make their citizenry even worse off.
What do you propose for the tens of millions of Americans who have neither a high school diploma or even a GED? Should they, per our logic, be trained as brain surgeons? Who would hire them for even a cent more than absolute minimum wage, and why would they hire them?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:11 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Yes it does. Don't play word semantics with me. When a company relies on so many low paid workers to make its obscene profits on the backs of the middle class, that is corporate welfare. Walmart does not pay out benefits to its part time employees, which are the majority of employees. Ergo, those employees are then eligible for SNAP and Medicaid, benefits that Walmart would have otherwise paid out of their own pockets but refuse to do so
Were you under the impression that Walmart employees have better outlets for the sale of their labor, but for some inexplicable reason they decide every day to go punch in at Walmart anyway? Don't you suppose that each of the million employees of Walmart is taking advantage of the best opportunity available to them?

It is not possible or sustainable to either pay employees much above the market value of their labor or much below the market value. The UAW learned the hard way about unsustainability of above-market wages; employees will leave for better offers if they are underpaid.

The key to higher wages is some combination of improved habits, knowledge, skills, attitude, work ethic, etc., to improve one's value to the rest of society. The misguided and counterproductive action of the DC council will only hurt those it is supposed to help.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
So let me get this straight, you hate welfare, but you're ok with Walmart getting welfare from the government? You can bet that 99.9%-100% of the potential Walmart workers in DC would still be on public assistance just like the many many many Walmart workers across the country. Corporate welfare at its finest
Really?

Government involvement really helps people, huh?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This. It's a bit of a mystery to me why so many in this country think we need to race to the bottom - non-livable pay, no benefits, poor working conditions, as if that will somehow make everything magically "better." It's absolutely a race we can't win, and it's one we shouldn't be interested in playing. Heck, even those countries currently at the bottom are trying to lift themselves up, not fighting to see who can make their citizenry even worse off.
You ain't seen nothin' yet!

Wait until bummer throws the rest of the illegals into the low skilled workforce!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies