Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 PM

40,956 posts, read 49,255,141 times

Advertisements

Good to see Walmart take a stand on the issue.

Hate to see all those inner-city Blacks find a job and buy their groceries cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 08:33 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,961,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
All this episode shows is the utter contempt liberals in particular white liberals have for poor people. It's ideology or nothing. Wal-Mart's workers are on public assistance they screech. Ok and considering they took the job what other options do they have? I guess liberals prefer they stay at home. Whole Foods pays its workers the same and bans Spanish yet nary a peep from liberals.Why because liberals patron Whole Foods. How many people on food stamps shop at Wal-Mart compared to Whole Foods?

The areas in Dc where Wal-Mart was going to open were in poor Black areas where grocery stores and business in general are nearly non-existent. One center where the store would be located has been without an anchor for 23 years but hey Wal-Mart's bad! So no jobs for the poor Blacks in the neighborhood.
So let me get this straight, you hate welfare, but you're ok with Walmart getting welfare from the government? You can bet that 99.9%-100% of the potential Walmart workers in DC would still be on public assistance just like the many many many Walmart workers across the country. Corporate welfare at its finest

Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Somehow I don't see Walmart doing that, I hope DC does pass this bill, it will be a good move for the working class of the city.
There is no working class in the city, lol. You're not familiar with DC are you?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Good to see Walmart take a stand on the issue.

Hate to see all those inner-city Blacks find a job and buy their groceries cheaper.
This sets a very dangerous trend. If we intend on going down the Chinese path on the race to the bottom, we will lose. We cannot compete with Chinese and southeast Asian slave labor. There are a hell of a lot of countries in the world to go around for subsistence wages, we cannot afford that.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,438,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So let me get this straight, you hate welfare, but you're ok with Walmart getting welfare from the government? You can bet that 99.9%-100% of the potential Walmart workers in DC would still be on public assistance just like the many many many Walmart workers across the country. Corporate welfare at its finest
Wal-Mart provides job I believe work is good for the character. I believe folks learn valuable skills that can help them improve their lives as opposed to loitering on the corners. It's clear to me White liberals could care less about poor Black people and I hope more begin to realize that. There was a pro-Wal-Mart protest in Dc and it was mostly Blacks. We are talking about areas devoid of capital investment for decades and for people to be so caught up on ideology to put these projects at risk is just cruel.

Wal-Mart pays it's workers in suburban DC location $12 there was every indication they would pay around that in DC. This was a payoff to unions don't delude yourself into thinking this was about the poor.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:41 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This sets a very dangerous trend. If we intend on going down the Chinese path on the race to the bottom, we will lose. We cannot compete with Chinese and southeast Asian slave labor. There are a hell of a lot of countries in the world to go around for subsistence wages, we cannot afford that.
This. It's a bit of a mystery to me why so many in this country think we need to race to the bottom - non-livable pay, no benefits, poor working conditions, as if that will somehow make everything magically "better." It's absolutely a race we can't win, and it's one we shouldn't be interested in playing. Heck, even those countries currently at the bottom are trying to lift themselves up, not fighting to see who can make their citizenry even worse off.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:44 PM

53 posts, read 120,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Somehow I don't see Walmart doing that, I hope DC does pass this bill, it will be a good move for the working class of the city.

Then, watch your prices go up at Walmart! Up until now, I have saved thousands of dollars buying from them. I love Walmart.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This. It's a bit of a mystery to me why so many in this country think we need to race to the bottom - non-livable pay, no benefits, poor working conditions, as if that will somehow make everything magically "better." It's absolutely a race we can't win, and it's one we shouldn't be interested in playing. Heck, even those countries currently at the bottom are trying to lift themselves up, not fighting to see who can make their citizenry even worse off.
How the **** can we compete like that, seriously? That is the million dollar question. Even Chinese workers are slowly starting to become too expensive now and are going to India. After India, hell, there's an entire continent of people that live on less money than the Bangladeshis or Vietnamese or Laotians. There's around 100 countries in the world that businesses can relocate to that pay their workers one tenth of an American worker. I ask you again, how can we compete with that many countries? The people that are pushing this low wage model on here, I've noticed something about them. It's all about me me me me, case in point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytrails6 View Post
Then, watch your prices go up at Walmart! Up until now, I have saved thousands of dollars buying from them. I love Walmart.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:46 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,390,394 times
Wal-mart ain't going nowhere. This is an idle threat to get people all upset. I personally don't like the way Wal-mart conducts business. I worked there as a teen and wasn't really privy to the world job wise. My younger cousin worked there briefly...they hired her as a pt employee but then scheduled her for 35 hours almost every week under the guise of voluntary overtime. So when she went back to the assistance program (not welfare; it's a private program run by some local organization) she's on for school she got disqualified because she was working full-time. So she went to HR and asked if they would write something saying she was a pt employee and they refused.

I haven't shopped there since.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Because DC is just doing so well now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies