Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:33 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,278,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Seriously?? If you invested all your money and owned a business, would you not care about the skills of those you hired?

You can learn a skill while being employed, but you have to be willing to start out with a low wage. You get some low paying hard work job, learn all you can, and show how hard you'll work and in time someone will promote you or hire you for something else.

Would I care if they could do that job yes but I would also care if my employees have enough to live on if not I probably do not need as many employees since I can not afford to pay well. Now a days many employers only care about making as much money as possible with treating and paying their employees as little as possible. We are heading toward being a country where we have extreme wealth and extreme poverty. That is what the Right Wing Nut Jobs want though that kind of society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:34 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,278,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
While your at it, let's give everyone a five bedroom house with a swimming pool, two new cars and pay for their vacations every year.

Stealing money from hardworking taxpayers and giving it to other people is not a valid government function.
We are already doing that because employers are not paying enough to live on so our taxes are going to help their employees.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,834,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Would I care if they could do that job yes but I would also care if my employees have enough to live on if not I probably do not need as many employees since I can not afford to pay well. Now a days many employers only care about making as much money as possible with treating and paying their employees as little as possible. We are heading toward being a country where we have extreme wealth and extreme poverty.
Let me explain how it works.

A company sells a product for $10. People buy x amount of product at that price point. This amount of income lets the employer higher people to create the product. Lets say 5 people can be hired at $10 an hour to make enough product to meet demand at the $10 price point. The employeed makes a decent profit, lets says 6% of sales.

If the employer could pay people more by either, increasing the cost of the product or reducing the profits of the company. The company cannot really take more out profit since it is a pretty small % already, if they raise prices for the product to say $15 then fewer people will buy it, causing demand to decrease. Now at this higher price point with reduced demand now the company can only afford to higher 3 people instead of 5.

Walmart BTW, has a profit margin of 3%.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:59 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,129,834 times
^^ except that Australia has low unemployment and we still buy things
And companies grow. And some don't.

I actually think Aus minimum wage is a little high, and it should settle for a while - & see other policies put in place.

In saying that, there has only been a $3 an hr increase over 5 year period... Nothing earth shattering.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,275,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
^^ except that Australia has low unemployment and we still buy things
And companies grow. And some don't.

I actually think Aus minimum wage is a little high, and it should settle for a while - & see other policies put in place.

In saying that, there has only been a $3 an hr increase over 5 year period... Nothing earth shattering.
Sure unemployment is always low when you don't actually count the unemployed.

Australia's equivalent U6 rate is 20.5%, but they have massive transfer payments in place.

The hidden unemployed | The Australia Institute

Old 07-29-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Sure unemployment is always low when you don't actually count the unemployed.

Australia's equivalent U6 rate is 20.5%, but they have massive transfer payments in place.

The hidden unemployed | The Australia Institute
It's not 20%
And probably a little higher than the 5-6% stated
The data from that link is from 2010

Old 07-29-2013, 04:53 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,275,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
It's not 20%
And probably a little higher than the 5-6% stated
The data from that link is from 2010
You're right, 17.3% as of May.

May unemployment up slightly to 9.5%, but under-employment down to 7.8% - Roy Morgan Research

Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 PM

10,034 posts, read 9,520,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
And they have universal healthcare, much lower cost of higher education, and a very business-friendly environment. All while being a very diverse nation.

What is Australia doing right that we are doing so wrong?
You'll also have to look at the immigration volume, government assistance programs, etc...

Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,297,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
It is a dog eat dog for many of the selfish rich yes but for many other it is not. This is why we have programs like welfare, food stamps, homeless shelters because some people care about someone besides themselves. No everyone can not be anything they set their mind to I could not be a pro football player no hard I tried that is just an excuse to not help anyone.
You sound like a perfect candidate for the charity programs you value so much, just remember as you stand there with your hand out that nothing in life is free, and you are paying for that charity with your self respect.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
These are estimates
There are some people who can only work 20 hrs work for whatever reason (school, health, family)
I'm sure the federal govt fudges figures in their favour.
I'm also sure the true figure of unemployment is not 17%

We've lost some manufacturing / auto jobs - so things aren't easy out there, but there are jobs. Whether they're jobs people ideally want, is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies