Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that anytime anyone here talks about preparedness for things like natural disasters, civil unrest, gov. instability, etc etc etc there are quite a few of you on the left who instantly mock or insult those of us who prepare for various types of situations that might otherwise put us in danger or a desperate situation. I don't want to dive into different types of preparedness because that will just end up as a pro-gun/anti-gun troll fest. Let's please just keep this at a high level when speaking of preparedness which would encompass anything from storing drinking water and canned food all the way up to people buying stockpiles of freeze dried or dehydrated food and even people who keep weapons of any kind to defend against whatever/whoever might try to cause them harm.

Am I just reading some of you wrong or do you really believe that being prepared is something that should be mocked or do you only do this because the people you mock just happen to be to the right of the political isle?

Overall I guess I'm just curious as to why a lot of liberals seem to have a dislike of people who prepare for potential negative events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
The mindset of those who disdain preparedness is narrowly focused on firearms and ammunition. They truly feel that folks like us feel that is all we need have and that we are in a delusion of unending glory as we charge into battle. LMAO.
I certainly place weapons and ammunition on my list of survival supplies, whatever it may be I am trying to survive, but they go hand in hand with a LOT of other things. Food, medicines and medical supplies, warm clothing and heat sources, shelter material, a means to stay in communication with my family should we be separated, a sound vehicle with plenty of fuel, etc.
Folks like us are not stupid enough to depend on the state and federal government to see us through a disastrous scenerio. And, we realize that such ,CAN, happen to us. When we least expect it. However, those who hold our preperation for the unknown in contempt, honestly feel things could never get that bad. It's the classic story of the grasshopper and tbe ant.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:32 PM

775 posts, read 741,232 times
Because most people who seriously prepare for a "doomsday" event are doing so out of a fear of something stupid. Like, a fear of Obama coming to take away your guns, or martial law, or 2012 prophecies, or the second coming of Christ, etc.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times
Most people I know have earthquake kits, as the city government recommends. I don't mock or insult them.

1,596 posts, read 1,159,362 times
Default Why do liberals mock or insult people who prepare for the unknown?

Because the liberals KNOW, man.

They KNOW!

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Because it is funny and people have been doomsday preparing long before the internet was around. Stocking up on canned goods and being prepared for a disaster or a long power outage is fine, preparing for the end of the world is stupid.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
Because most people who seriously prepare for a "doomsday" event are doing so out of a fear of something stupid. Like, a fear of Obama coming to take away your guns, or martial law, or 2012 prophecies, or the second coming of Christ, etc.
"Doomsday Preppers" is not indicitive of a normal, everyday family who prepares for the unknown, usually economic turmoil.

So, let's cut the bull**** stereotypes, ok?

Old 01-25-2013, 04:36 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Because most of the time, they are wasting money.

You want to prepare? Get some land, grow some food, buy some livestock.

But a bunch of guns hasn't exactly proven to be a worthwhile expense. I own 4 guns of various kinds. That's plenty for my home protection. I don't need a 50 round magazine, I can hit you with one shot, 10 is overkill.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
I have no issues with people who prepare. I think the conspiracy theories that motivate some to do so are irrational.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Liberals want everybody to be dependent on the gov'mint.

People who strive to be self sufficent and independent are a threat to the left and the power they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies