Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 01:16 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,212,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
You've finally got it. Zimmerman DID NOT try to detain or arrest Martin. Martin physically attacked Zimmerman. Zimmerman defended himself. Everyone has the right to defend themselves from a physical attack. Unfortunately Martin paid the ultimate price for his illegal actions.
I clearly didn't say that. I said he had no authority to do so.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:18 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,942,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I'm Black and believed that OJ wasn't "innocent." But he was found "not guilty."

A lot of White people were in complete disbelief that OJ wasn't convicted and called the predominantly Black jury "stupid" and "uneducated" for that verdict. Somehow I believe that this nearly all White jury in the Zimmerman case will be spared those nasty labels
Did you watch the trial? The prosecution had absolutely nothing and virtually every witness for the prosecution supported Zimmermans story. I don't think the OJ jury was "stupid". I do feel they were wrong, but that is neither here nor there...

Old 07-14-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Maybe his purpose was to just slow the guy down by talking to him until the police arrived.

My point was that it could be argued that leaving a gun unattended in a car might be irresponsible and that it should be carried on one's person for safe keeping.

It would be easier if you could put forth some sort of a rational argument rather than emotion.
But for the fact that Zimmerman had a gun, he would not have attempted to detain Trayvon. This sort of behavior is extremely dangerous. Had Trayvon been a hardened criminal, Zimmerman could have died that night.

I do not want to live in a society where gun carrying men/women think it is within their rights to attempt to intervene in what should be official police business.

For his error in taking the law into his own hands, I believe Zimmerman should have been found guilty of manslaughter.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:21 AM

348 posts, read 337,055 times
Black people, you really picked a losing horse on this one. Sorry.
Really. There are / were other cases that you might have won.

It seems the state really never had a chance with this one.
Wonder how much this whole boondoggle cost the tax payers?

And, there's never a dearth of problems in your own community that need sorting out.
Hope that one day you get around to fixing them. Feel sorry for the Martin family, and for Zimmerman's.

Now, let's move on...

Old 07-14-2013, 01:22 AM

1,728 posts, read 1,779,489 times
No they dont, fat Haiti said TM was in front of his dads GFs Apt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Fleeing what scene? All accounts say he was walking away from Zimmerman (hence his statement that he was following him).

I agree that he should have called 911.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:22 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,068,811 times
Quote:
-Fighting is fairly common among teen boys of all races. Please don't plead ignorant to this.
-The property was never proven as stolen. The police had no proof that the items were reported as stolen.
-"May have even been"? I won't tarnish his character based on what someone thinks he was trying to do because of his text messages. Do you have any idea what teens text these days that is nothing but just talk?
Point taken. However, the part about the fighting does suggest that he has a propensity to engage in fighting (lost round one but won rounds two and three) and that he's not afraid to fight. In other words, he might be more likely to fight Zimmerman than to run home.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I understand where you're coming from, but all those black youth are someones son or daughter irrespective of where they live or what their level of connection is to the drug trade.. Many of those killed have been innocent bystanders who were not involved in the drug trade. The sheer numbers are phenominal... As far as the drug trade and gangs, gangs were around and violent long before drugs became the mainstay of criminal activity in this country and violence has always been a signature of gangs.. If drugs are legalized, they will meerly shift their illegal operations in another direction as they always have.

As for the loons who attack schools, or theaters and such, they are undeniably a product of our lack of control of the criminally insane in our society.. There are more levels than just these shooters.. Look at BTK, or Richard Rameriz.. Still mass murderers, but they simply killed fewer at once... Our mental health institutes were defunded years ago and we are reaping what we have sewn as a result.
Black on black violence hit its peak in the 80's/early 1990's as a result of the crack epidemic. The gangs I am familiar with are about drug selling and protecting their turf to do their illegal activities. And while I agree that the victims are someone's son/daughter, somewhere along the way, the parent(s) failed them. And they need to take responsibility for that. Innocent bystanders are the true victims in these sort of stories.

I find it interesting how white murderers are passed off as criminally insane. It seems to suggest that rational white people don't commit crimes (while at the same time suggesting it comes as second nature to black people).

Old 07-14-2013, 01:26 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,119,061 times
Quote:
What do you call pounding someone's head into concrete?
Self-defense?

It's funny how you chose to compare GZ motive before he reached TM, to TM motives after they started fighting. Why not use TM's motives before GZ reached him? Or GZ motives after they started fighting? Compare apples to apples?

Quote:
Dee Dee testified that he was almost home or at the back porch. He could have simply walked inside the townhouse. Is that what you're referring to?
And? He was on the way home & Zimmerman followed him. And all we have is Zimmerman's words about how their confrontation went down.

Edit:

New question: Why do you believe Zimmerman that Trayvon attacked him, when according to Zimmerman's NEN call, Trayvon was trying to run away?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:27 AM

Quote:
What do you call pounding someone's head into concrete?

Dee Dee testified that he was almost home or at the back porch. He could have simply walked inside the townhouse. Is that what you're referring to?
I thought a lot of you declared Rachel a liar? I guess you only believe the parts of her story that suit you.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:27 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,068,811 times
Quote:
But for the fact that Zimmerman had a gun, he would not have attempted to detain Trayvon. This sort of behavior is extremely dangerous. Had Trayvon been a hardened criminal, Zimmerman could have died that night.

I do not want to live in a society where gun carrying men/women think it is within their rights to attempt to intervene in what should be official police business.

For his error in taking the law into his own hands, I believe Zimmerman should have been found guilty of manslaughter.
Who said that he wanted to detain Martin? Maybe he just wanted to talk to him or to spot him so that he could direct the police to him. We don't even know if Zimmerman's intent was to even talk to him at all. Based on Dee Dee's testimony unfavorable to the prosecution (which suggests credibility) he had made it home, but the altercation occurred away from the house. Trayvon may have approached Zimmerman and asked, "Why you followin' me?" or "Do you have a problem?"

Maybe what Zimmerman did was ill-advised in terms of his own personal safety, but it's not illegal nor immoral nor even necessarily improper.

Coincidentally, it's a good thing he had the gun on him or this could have been a case where Trayvon Martin was being prosecuted for the murder or attempted murder of George Zimmerman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.