Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 06:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times

Advertisements

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – Missouri schools will be encouraged to teach first-graders a gun safety course sponsored by the National Rifle Association as a result of legislation signed Friday by Gov. Jay Nixon.

The new law stops short of requiring schools to teach the Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program. But by putting it in state law, Missouri is providing one of the stronger state-sanctioned endorsements of the NRA-sponsored firearms safety course, which the group says is taught to about 1 million children annually.

The legislation also requires school personnel to participate in an “active shooter and intruder” drill led by law enforcement officers.

Read more: Missouri gov. signs gun-safety course for first-graders | Fox News

IMO this is a good idea. You??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 06:55 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,245,407 times
If fire safety, sex ed, drug prevention programs like DARE and drivers ed are good ideas so is gun safety. In fact to oppose teaching gun safety to little kids is negligence!!!!!!!

It is galactically beyond logic for anti gun folks to claim so many victims of firearms, knowing guns are ubiquitous and not teach firearm safety. This is truly a case of head in the sand emotion over common sense.

You can't point your finger or eat a pop tart into the shape of a gun without severe consequences yet these bastions of child protection fail to provide gun safet information.

Any gun safety course would show images of firearms and that is verbotim in the new nazi like social justice portals formerly called schools.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:58 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,948,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – Missouri schools will be encouraged to teach first-graders a gun safety course sponsored by the National Rifle Association as a result of legislation signed Friday by Gov. Jay Nixon.

The new law stops short of requiring schools to teach the Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program. But by putting it in state law, Missouri is providing one of the stronger state-sanctioned endorsements of the NRA-sponsored firearms safety course, which the group says is taught to about 1 million children annually.

The legislation also requires school personnel to participate in an “active shooter and intruder” drill led by law enforcement officers.

Read more: Missouri gov. signs gun-safety course for first-graders | Fox News

IMO this is a good idea. You??
Active shooter and intruder training...21st century version "Duck and Cover".

Duck and Cover Propaganda Film 1950's - YouTube

Old 07-13-2013, 07:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
And academics continue to get pushed to the side in favor of social issues.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:19 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
This actually makes a hell of a lot more sense than a sports program in schools imho.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:05 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
The "Eddie Eagle" gun safety program is a GREAT tool for educating kids about guns!
I think it is a wonderful idea to teach it as early as possible!
http://www.nra.org/Article.aspx?id=1353
or, just google it

Old 07-13-2013, 01:08 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The "Eddie Eagle" gun safety program is a GREAT tool for educating kids about guns!
I think it is a wonderful idea to teach it as early as possible!
Article
or, just google it
Agree

If people do not understand what the Eddie the eagle program is you should google it before replying to this thread.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:43 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,234,437 times
My niece will be in first grade next year. If someone tried to show her how to shoot a gun I'd have the person arrested.
How about waiting until maybe 10 or 12 years old? Cars are way more deady than guns and one can't drive until one is 16.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:49 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
My niece will be in first grade next year. If someone tried to show her how to shoot a gun I'd have the person arrested.
How about waiting until maybe 10 or 12 years old? Cars are way more deady than guns and one can't drive until one is 16.
I prefer earlier age than you. Did you by chance, take a look at the "Eddie the Eagle" program?

Old 07-13-2013, 03:57 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,681,326 times
I don't think it is a bad idea.

I am going to be teaching my daughter when she is a little older. (she is 2 now and obviously waaaay too young)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies