Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:12 PM

62 posts, read 70,841 times

Advertisements

So i had a huge discussion with a few members of my family the other night.. I won't voice my opinion because it seems a lot of people disagree with me but I want to know what others perspective or opinions on this are..

do you truly think that marijuana is a gateway drug.. or a drug period?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 04:20 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
A gateway to what? Harder drugs? Possibly, if you have a personality that craves being in an every increasing altered state of some sort. Marijuana isn't going to cause that though, it's either there or it's not.
For most people it's just another thing they do that they enjoy, like having a glass of wine or smoking a cigar.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywart23 View Post
So i had a huge discussion with a few members of my family the other night.. I won't voice my opinion because it seems a lot of people disagree with me but I want to know what others perspective or opinions on this are..

It's obviously a drug. As far as being a "Gateway" drug goes, that is just a really stupid idea. I have heard this idea expressed all my life just about and it's just plain wrong. Everyone that I have ever known who has smoked weed has drank alcohol long before they tried the weed. Does that mean drinking is a gateway? Most people I know have smoked tobacco before they either drank or smoked weed. So what does that tell us. It tells us exactly nothing.

You know, 100% of all people who takes hard drugs have drank water many times before they tried the drugs. I guess we can come to the conclusion that water drinking leads to hard drug use.

That is the exact same method they use to attempt to tie weed smoking with hard drug use.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:02 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,392,191 times
No more than anything else. One factor is distinguishing between those who use it for a thrill and those who use it to relax. I wouldn't think someone who uses marijuana specifically to relax would want to try something that makes you wig out, but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:03 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,456 times
It's only a gateway drug if you consider the fact that the only way to buy it is through a drug dealer, many of whom sell other drugs. Legalise it and it's no longer a gateway drug.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:04 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,342 times
No. Marijuana is not a gateway drug. I knew tons of people that smoked "back in the day" and the vast majority of them grew up and became regular productive people. Some people are just destined to have no self control. Not much you can do about that.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
It can be and is for some. For others, not so much. Pretty broad topic to just slap a mono-dimensional label on it but I've seen some people get on a slippery slope with it although most haven't.

One thing I would note is potency in that the plants are more and more x-bred for potency etc. Go look at what strawberries and tomatoes used to look like 100+ years ago and what they do now. I'd be hesistant to just say "oh, it's ok" if potency is 2x what it was 20 years ago and so forth. Marijuana is not a drug in a steady state.

Perhaps all the more argument to legalize it so you can see some sort of potency measure like when you buy alchohol.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
No it's not. But you need to ask people who have actually smoked it and not the ones who have never tried it but swear it leads to harder drugs.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
No, it is not a gateway drug. It also doesnt ruin your life, make you crazy or violent.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,497,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywart23 View Post

Yes, I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies