Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 07:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As a male who was stupid at 17 and also raised 2 sons who went through that stage... most young men are lucky to survive their late teens.

I learned never to say "My son would NEVER do that". As soon as you do, yes they will.
Ditto, I could see my son when he was 17 (now a college graduate and taxpayer) reacting just like I think Martin did.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Do you think a person who is inarticulate and uses street slang is less credible as a witness in a criminal trial?

Shouldn't jurors receive a jury instruction something like: even though a person does not speak English (let's say a person speaks only Spanish and needs a translator in court), or speaks English poorly , should not influence your judgment of their credibility.

The reason I say this, is that some black, Hispanic people, or recent immigrants, or people with speech impediments (like Rachel Jeantel), may be seen as less credible in a trial, whether they are defendants, witnesses, or lawyers, when really what does the way they talk have to do with their ability to tell the truth?!!!
Absolutely it does. Like it or not, how articulate a person is in a court of law makes the world of difference. Would you like a police officer to get up on the stand and talk like that woman did? Why not? Its just "ghetto slang?" What if that was the way the police officer was brought up and lived? Would it be ok then?

No, it wouldn't be. So why should it be ok for anyone else? That woman went to school and learned to speak proper English. SHE chose not to listen to her teachers and speak the way she does.

And before you start with the racial BS, I am a black man, who grew up in the worst ghetto's in Oakland. I don't speak Eubonics and I went to the same schools as every other black person who does. I chose to learn how to read and write properly and not speak "ghetto speak."

The simple fact of the matter is this: Black persons who speak this way are disgracing my race and people. If you want to have respect and get somewhere in this world, educate yourself and talk like a normal person. Not like some drunken hood rat this woman is.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:25 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,066 times
I was being court-groomed by a plaintiff lawyer as a witness one time.

He repeated over and over again, to be, DISPASSIONATE.

He said JUDGES absolutely HATE natural expression.

Just like John Good.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,931 times
I think how one presents oneself is, to an extent, a reflection of character--though of course not a guarantee of honesty or lack thereof.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:31 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,384,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
I was being court-groomed by a plaintiff lawyer as a witness one time.

He repeated over and over again, to be, DISPASSIONATE.

He said JUDGES absolutely HATE natural expression.

Just like John Good.
If Zimmerman had taken the stand, would he have come off better to the jury speaking dispassionately, or with his fake-concern tone that he displayed to the dispatcher, and during the reenactment?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
How one speaks has a huge impact on his or her credibility. It is, of course, context dependent. In the hood, for example, Buckley Jr. would have zero credibility while the gangsta-talking kids get respect. In corporate America it's just the opposite.

We once dealt with a banker from North Carolina who had a terrible southern accent. Terrible is a relative term, as she was from the south and many have the same accent. She confided once that she had to take classes to lose her accent or risk losing her job. Seemed stupid to me because she was responsive and friendly. She was clear across the country and I never met her but had no problem with her accent. I often wondered what she looked like.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:32 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
How you speak determines a lot in your life.
Yes, and that may be the case when applying for a job or mortgage.

But in a court of law, even though it might be a factor, it shouldn't be. And I think that should be in the jury instructions. You can't have justice only for the well-educated, well-off, and well-spoken! That is a travesty!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sorry Rachel's demeanor overshadowed her horrendous speech. Hopefully she takes Tom Joyner up on his offer. I suspect she won't though since that would require work.
What offer?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Absolutely it does. Like it or not, how articulate a person is in a court of law makes the world of difference. Would you like a police officer to get up on the stand and talk like that woman did? Why not? Its just "ghetto slang?" What if that was the way the police officer was brought up and lived? Would it be ok then?

No, it wouldn't be. So why should it be ok for anyone else? That woman went to school and learned to speak proper English. SHE chose not to listen to her teachers and speak the way she does.

And before you start with the racial BS, I am a black man, who grew up in the worst ghetto's in Oakland. I don't speak Eubonics and I went to the same schools as every other black person who does. I chose to learn how to read and write properly and not speak "ghetto speak."

The simple fact of the matter is this: Black persons who speak this way are disgracing my race and people. If you want to have respect and get somewhere in this world, educate yourself and talk like a normal person. Not like some drunken hood rat this woman is.
Maybe her teachers speak like that, or close to it.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yes, and that may be the case when applying for a job or mortgage.

But in a court of law, even though it might be a factor, it shouldn't be. And I think that should be in the jury instructions. You can't have justice only for the well-educated, well-off, and well-spoken! That is a travesty!
Mortgages are based on your credit score, income, and ability to pay.

Rachel wasn't the victim, she was a witness and the jurors had to weigh each witness. One of the witnesses could speak perfectly fine, but was adamant that she heard 3 gun shots, she lost credibility as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies