Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times

Advertisements

Why do Americans love English Royalty?

What gives you the idea that we do?

Americans (and every other nationality) will stop and stare at a car crash, and talk about it. That doesn't mean they "love" car crashes.

The English Royalty, at least to me, are like dancing bears in a circus. Different, interesting to look at in a shallow, vapid way; though we all know they are in fact unimportant. In short, they are entertainment, no more.

Perhaps a more appropriate question to ask is:

Why do commentators observe something that is clearly no more than people observing casual, shallow entertainment, and conclude that those people "love" it, when there is no real reason to think they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I hear it doesn't but who cares, they probably get perks galore & hey, you're a prince! Or a duke! Or a princess! LOL.
They probably get perks ? of course they do, I never heard of anyone in the Royal family paying for their own vacation or standing on the corner, trying to get a day job mowing lawns.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
People like pomp and circumstance, they like seeing how royalty are treated and want the same for themselves, kind of a vicarious existance.
How else could you explain the addiction to celebrities and stars and folks like the obamas?
How else could you explain the popularity of shows like the kardasians?

The British monarchy has existed in it's modern form since William the Bastard won at Hastings and took the throne.
Aside from Cromwell interupting it for a couple of years, it has been a constant of British life for a thousand years so it is part of them and the culture.

The royals are a living symbol of the country, so of course they get excited about it.

Americans on the other hand, well, name me one little girl that doesn't want to be a princess?

I agree, not really relevent to American history or culture, but it is where our roots are and the US and England have had a close relationship for all of our history, even when we were shooting at each other, there is a commonality because of the fact that the US is the red-headed step-child of England's colonialism. We have more in common with England than probably any other country on earth, with perhaps the exceptions of Canada and Austrailia.

Personally, I am happy the new prince is healthy, I am glad that England is celebrating. It doesn't impact me at all, but it is about the only positive news on these days so where is the harm?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:59 PM

537 posts, read 740,324 times
Even in Colonial America there were many loyal King kneelers. They were called Tories, Loyalists, and King's Men. It is estimated that about 15-20% of the colonialists were Tories. Many left the U.S. after the British defeat.

Personally, I have zero interest in the activities of the Royals. I like being a citizen, not a "subject".

Old 07-23-2013, 01:00 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We were discussing this earlier today in our exercise class: one of the reason our forefathers left England was to escape monarchy and now you would think the birth of the baby was the second coming or something? I was waiting for them to report her every labor pain. Of course it is a big deal in UK and should be, but royal babies are born throughout the world every year and Americans don't go nutty for every detail. I do think both the young men are outstanding and certainly William and Kate seem to be a perfect match. Now, they have added another touch to their wonderful love story. Their live seems very different than William's parents from the start. That still doesn't explain the 24/7 coverage. When we actually watch re-runs of Family Feud because there it is the only program on TV not discussing the birth, it is pretty sad.
I don't think it was the monarchy per se but the perceived persecution by the monarchy/English government. Later it was (as it remains) all about money. Anyway, they don't get all the glory. We have our own royalty - the Kardashians.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:19 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I hear it doesn't but who cares, they probably get perks galore & hey, you're a prince! Or a duke! Or a princess! LOL.

It's called the lucky sperm club.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:36 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Haven't both princes served in the military? Don't the royals volunteer quite heavily? To me, they "do" more than the welfare queens that we heap riches on, here in this country.

But I get why some people hate them. They're well-adjusted, educated, polite, and appear to have a nice. loving relationship, where they have chosen to bring a child into. Much to hate about THAT.....
Served in the military? My foot! They have "attended" the military for public consumption. And they wouldn't know what volunteering was unless it bit them on the azz. Their "volunteer" activities are a ruse, a PR stunt, a craven, counterfeit sideshow set up for the sole purpose of making them "look good". Are you so gullible that you don't recognize a photo op when it's handed to you? And polite!?!?!? Oh Charles was so polite as he spread Camillas legs in some godforsaken bejewled royal parlor with antique furniture supplied by some poor waitress in Liverpool. How very civilized. How very polite. Screw vows, those are for the peasantry.

I'll take an honest welfare leech in this country over these vapid money-sucking charlatans. Any day of any week.

These people are not an ideal. They are a dead end. Their lives are not to be desired. They are to be repudiated. A quotidian existence is of infinitely higher honor than the bombastic somnolence displayed by these effete and ineffective stand-ins for real human beings. Human beings who achieve and earn, rather than wait for the next million dollar handout from a dysfunctional populace that doesn't seem to know any better.

I can't write any more about the Royal Inbreds. To do so forces me to consider them. And to do that forces me to confront nausea.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 07-23-2013 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Well to her Royal Majesty's credit, it is Harrier's impression that Queen Elizabeth II is rather down to earth and doesn't really think that she is better than her subjects.

However, she is required to put up with all the fuss due to her lofty station in a place where such traditions are held in high esteem.

Well said. I admire Queen Elizabeth. She feels a duty and obligation to serve as head of state thru thick and thin. She feels she took an oath before God and will not abdicate. I doubt it has been an easy life of luxury and holidays for her. She has an important role to fill, and lots of duties.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
I'd rather hear about Kate Middleton than Trayvon Martin.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:44 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
It is not just the British. I understand Canada is all agog over it as well. Niagara Falls have been dyed blue as well as the CN Tower in Toronto lit in blue. Their Prime Minister gave a statement about how much they love their Queen in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies