Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,006 times

Advertisements

27% of Medicare's annual $327 billion budget goes to care for patients in their final year of life.

The question is can we still afford this kind of expense, and is it right to be spending this much for a hopeless causes when there are more productive ways to spend this money that would be in the better interest of the country and the general welfare of the people.
How could the system be improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
27% of Medicare's annual $327 billion budget goes to care for patients in their final year of life.

The question is can we still afford this kind of expense, and is it right to be spending this much for a hopeless causes when there are more productive ways to spend this money that would be in the better interest of the country and the general welfare of the people.
People need to learn to let go with dignity.

I know some doctors and besides quitting smoking and losing weight, the one thing they wish they could get their patients to do is to write up a 'living will'....especially the seriously ill/older ones. They say a lot of the "flogging" they do on elderly patients is due to the fact that the patient didn't have a living will and one member of the family is insisting on doing "everything" to save Nana, so the doctor has to do it.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:41 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:

What's your solution, death panels?

Old 07-23-2013, 02:47 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
Well, duh. Medicare is for patients over 65. Average life expectancy in the US is is 76 for males and 81 for females.
You don't want to treat or hospitalize patients over 65? They're going to die soon anyways.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,286,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I have not given it much thought, but I think we need to come up with a better system than we currently have.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,560,769 times
If we actually had a health care system instead of a sick care system, maybe we could turn that around. Disease prevention, and teaching people how to make healthy choices. Instead we are bombarded with lies, drugs and chemicals, that perpetuate disease. The older we are, the more likely these things will have taken a fatal toll.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:44 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
yeah, I have no idea what the point of this thread is. Eliminate everyone's final year of life? It's expensive when human health starts failing. There's no getting around that.

We spend over $500b on defense. Let's look at that for savings before we start talking about cutting funding for grandma's healthcare.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:

First you ration by age, what's next, by usefullness, contribution to the greater good?
I do think we can allow those that want to end this experience, a dignified way out. Let the patient decide, if they are able.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
I have not given it much thought, but I think we need to come up with a better system than we currently have.
I agree, and I'm in health care, too. Unfortunately we have lost the ability to talk to each other, and you see it only took about 3 posts before someone brought in the term "death panels" so I don't think we're any closer to being able to talk about it in any intelligent, non-partisan way.

IMO the medical system does a great many things with profits first and quality of life secondary in the medical decision process.

The most egregious example from my own personal experience was when a very well respected University hospital decided to perform back surgery on one of our residents, a 96 year old female. No one that age should be put under anesthesia let alone operated on without even trying conservative measures first. End result was she was in ICU for more than 2 weeks, then sent back to us, where she lingered in agonizing pain and misery for another 2 weeks before she died. She was begging us to let her die from the minute she got back.

Surgery+ 2+ weeks ICU probably came to about $200-$300,000.00 for the hospital, paid for by Medicare, with no benefit to resident at all except to make the last month of her life the worst month of her life.

P.S. I feel I need to add that I do not think cutting Medicare funding is the solution. The problem is the way our health care is delivered, and the extremely high costs of our health care.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
yeah, I have no idea what the point of this thread is. Eliminate everyone's final year of life? It's expensive when human health starts failing. There's no getting around that.

We spend over $500b on defense. Let's look at that for savings before we start talking about cutting funding for grandma's healthcare.
I agree. I just read that if we cut the defense budget 85%, we would still be spending more than any other country. And it's not defense, it's offense. And we don't even know the billions that are spent on black ops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies