Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 12:04 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,527,784 times

Advertisements

It would be impossible for America to decline that much between today and 2016 (Obama leaves office)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 12:07 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,360,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Only for people with hybrid cars....
No, for ALL US cars:

Average fuel economy of US cars reaches an all-time high - CSMonitor.com

So, how are gas prices going to bring any kind of major inflation when US oil production is ramping up (last year saw the biggest increase in oil production in 150 years) and average US fuel economy is rising (and US fuel demand actually falling)?
The answer is - "it won't".
There IS no major inflation and there WILL BE no major inflation any time soon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...i-reports.html

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 07-27-2013 at 01:03 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 02:01 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,919,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
No, for ALL US cars:

Average fuel economy of US cars reaches an all-time high - CSMonitor.com

So, how are gas prices going to bring any kind of major inflation when US oil production is ramping up (last year saw the biggest increase in oil production in 150 years) and average US fuel economy is rising (and US fuel demand actually falling)?
The answer is - "it won't".
There IS no major inflation and there WILL BE no major inflation any time soon.

U.S. Oil Demand Falls to 16-Year Low, API Reports - Bloomberg

Ken
That article is for NEW CARS purchased in the month of March....can you post a more skewed article??. No, you couldn't...

Again, you are focused on prices only and not hedonic quality adjustment which gas doesn't have to comply with....so lesser quality IS inflation if you are hitting the pump more OR driving less because of the pain at the pump.

You are staying inside your wheelhouse here and rightfully so...because you aren't even budging on the notion the books may very well be cooked....

Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 AM

436 posts, read 756,498 times
There are some parts of the US that are already like Greece.

I have visited Greece many times.
I knew Greece, sir.
And Greece is no Detroit.
Not by a long shot.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:59 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,470,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Since Jan. 20, 2009, it has been dogma on the right that America will become Greece and that inflation is right around the corner. Can you guys please tell me when that is going to happen. Seriously, its getting to the point that I'm about to start calling republicans the boy who cried wolf. When is inflation going to surge? when are we going to become to Greece?
Republicans? You're going to call Republicans the boy who cried wolf? This from a guy who supports the party that said there was a war on women and that blacks were going to be put back in chains? You need to look in the mirror my friend.

Old 07-27-2013, 04:55 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,556,827 times
DO any of you bots arguing there is no inflation ever go to the gas station or the supermarket?

Food prices are much higher there than they were even two years ago. Gas is at the level that Algore and Saudi Arabia want them to be.

Bernanke won't print money forever. Once it stops, watch what happens to prices.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:14 AM

18,853 posts, read 8,506,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Only for people with hybrid cars....
Also for people who trade in their Suburban for a Traverse. 10-12 vs 18-22 MPG.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:35 AM

18,853 posts, read 8,506,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
DO any of you bots arguing there is no inflation ever go to the gas station or the supermarket?

Food prices are much higher there than they were even two years ago. Gas is at the level that Algore and Saudi Arabia want them to be.

Bernanke won't print money forever. Once it stops, watch what happens to prices.
There has to be low grade inflation built in as per our national monetary policy. But with oil/gas there are just too many more abrupt and powerful forces in play that frequently supersede the effects of this money creation/debasement. Local supply/demands, world funkiness especially in the ME, regional climate, and of course investment speculation alter the pricing at the local gas pump much stronger than simple inflation. And this is why it's not included in the usual CPI.

Food prices in general also have to rise for the same reason. But again there are more local forces. And simple grocery store sales are huge forces. I shop for basic food infrequently, maybe a twice a years for decades, just when my wife is out of town without me.

Yesterday like years past I bought fresh fruit at a dollar a pound. Bread and eggs a buck each. A few small steaks about $3-5 each. Juice about a buck and a half. Canned fruit about a buck. Many on sales and loss leaders. I also hit the local fast food joints when she is away. I can't remember how many years a Breakfast Crescent and juice just under $5 has been at the Jack. Whopper or Big Mac meal $5-6. Arby's 2 for $5. Of course these meals may well be slightly smaller, I haven't noticed.

Bernanke is still doing QE. Read up on QE. It's not money printing, it's the swapping of assets, short for long term intended to keep interest rates down. It's not money being created then simply placed or spent into the general circulation by any means. QE removes about $80B of potential interest income from the economy, which by itself has to be deflationary if anything. But listen to yourself. You and most people think QE is inflationary, in fact part of its intent. But it is doing poorly in doing so. So when it stops you think inflation will rise? This is confusion or cognitive dissonance?

UNDERSTANDING THE MECHANICS OF A QE TRANSACTION :: PRAGMATIC CAPITALISM

Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,712,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Since Jan. 20, 2009, it has been dogma on the right that America will become Greece and that inflation is right around the corner. Can you guys please tell me when that is going to happen. Seriously, its getting to the point that I'm about to start calling republicans the boy who cried wolf. When is inflation going to surge? when are we going to become to Greece?
It will happen the same time our guns are taken away, people arrested and taken to concentration camps, voting rights taken away, kids brainwashed with communism, brown shirt army patrols the streets, muslims take over, sharia law replaces the constitution and death panels decide whether or not your broken arm will be fixed, the evil city people raid farm houses in search for food, and all the other stuff they have been saying will happen.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:59 AM

8,896 posts, read 5,386,771 times
Perhaps take a scenic drive to the gas station for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies