Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 PM

26,506 posts, read 15,084,039 times

Advertisements

The Republicans are guilty of this more than the Democrats...attacking their own party members that don't hold fast to the party line. Yes a party has to stand for a platform...but only the sheep agree 100% with 100% of the issues of either big party...a party must also be willing to embrace those that stray on some issues with out smearing them.

-The 2008 primary where the candidates embarrassingly had to pass a "Reagan Test" that Reagan in 1980 probably wouldn't have passed himself.

-2012 Mitt Romney is a liberal RINO talk. Huntsman is a liberal RINO talk.

-Chris Christie must be ostracized because he was seen with a Democrat President.

-Colin Powell has been muddied for endorsing Obama in 2008.

-Now Rubio is getting muddied in my hometown for the immigration bill, some talk of him as if he is evil.

-I frequently hear GOPers dis Eisenhower ("too moderate" "too much like a democrat"), Teddy ("too progressive"), and even Lincoln ("dictator" to the glorious south)...3 great presidents IMO.

Shouldn't a party be trying to build its base up and not be alienating people who tend to vote for it?

Most of the time I have voted GOP, but in honesty have voted for other parties at times including the Democrats if I think that individual is better. I am more fiscally conservative and probably more socially liberal.

I am a fiscal conservative, voted Romney, supported Walker in Wisconsin, voted Snyder, supported mostly GOP candidates in my life, want a balanced budget, oppose Union abuses, and etc.

I am highly critical of Obama's lies and broken promises (as I am Bush's).

I do agree with the Democrats on some issues...back ground checks, gay rights, some but not all of the social type issues, etc...

I couldn't even run for congress in my district if I wanted to as I would be kicked aside as a RINO, the GOP in my county is very harsh on anyone who strays from the party line...so why should I continue supporting a party that smears me?

Why shouldn't I start identifying as a "Fiscally Conservative Democrat" or a Libertarian? I'll always try to vote for what individual that I think is best, but shouldn't I vote for the GOP a lot less if I am something that the grass roots here want to weed out of their party?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:11 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The Republicans are guilty of this more than the Democrats...attacking their own party members that don't hold fast to the party line. Yes a party has to stand for a platform...but only the sheep agree 100% with 100% of the issues of either big party...a party must also be willing to embrace those that stray on some issues with out smearing them.

-The 2008 primary where the candidates embarrassingly had to pass a "Reagan Test" that Reagan in 1980 probably wouldn't have passed himself.

-2012 Mitt Romney is a liberal RINO talk. Huntsman is a liberal RINO talk.

-Chris Christie must be ostracized because he was seen with a Democrat President.

-Colin Powell has been muddied for endorsing Obama in 2008.

-Now Rubio is getting muddied in my hometown for the immigration bill, some talk of him as if he is evil.

-I frequently hear GOPers dis Eisenhower ("too moderate" "too much like a democrat"), Teddy ("too progressive"), and even Lincoln ("dictator" to the glorious south)...3 great presidents IMO.

Shouldn't a party be trying to build its base up and not be alienating people who tend to vote for it?

Most of the time I have voted GOP, but in honesty have voted for other parties at times including the Democrats if I think that individual is better. I am more fiscally conservative and probably more socially liberal.

I am a fiscal conservative, voted Romney, supported Walker in Wisconsin, voted Snyder, supported mostly GOP candidates in my life, want a balanced budget, oppose Union abuses, and etc.

I am highly critical of Obama's lies and broken promises (as I am Bush's).

I do agree with the Democrats on some issues...back ground checks, gay rights, some but not all of the social type issues, etc...

I couldn't even run for congress in my district if I wanted to as I would be kicked aside as a RINO, the GOP in my county is very harsh on anyone who strays from the party line...so why should I continue supporting a party that smears me?

Why shouldn't I start identifying as a "Fiscally Conservative Democrat" or a Libertarian? I'll always try to vote for what individual that I think is best, but shouldn't I vote for the GOP a lot less if I am something that the grass roots here want to weed out of their party?
I've always wondered why the conservatives don't support the moderates in their party. Until they do I don't think there will be a republican in the white house for a very long time.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:32 PM

125 posts, read 132,509 times
You make some very good points. It is said that politics is the art of the possible, but I can see that you understand there are many who value their sanctimonius (and impotent) ideological purity over accomplishing as much of their agenda as is realisitically possible in the real world.

I'll add that the best Minnesota Governor of my four-and-a-half decade life, in my opinion, would be called a RINO (Arne Carlson). I happily voted for him twice (the only Republican Governor for whom I have voted, though I have voted GOP periodically for other offices).

Unfortunately, the last of his subspecies hereabouts (Rino rino minnesotus) seems to have gone extinct a few years back.

One quibble -- in the case of Colin Powell, it's understable when a party is hacked off that he endorsed a Presidential candidate of the other party, at least to me.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:34 PM

552 posts, read 738,996 times
If huntsman would have won the primary I would have voted for him, I would think about voting christie. Republicans need to work with me otherwise I will keep voting dem. Rubio isn't bad either based on his merits, but he sold his soul to the right during the last election cycle.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I've always wondered why the conservatives don't support the moderates in their party. Until they do I don't think there will be a republican in the white house for a very long time.
You mean besides Clinton and Obama?

That's the problem with a "big tent" you win the presidency....with a guy that's over towards the middle.

In fact, at that point, it's easier for the republicans to push their legislation because the illiterate uninformed masses won't object because their guy in the whitehouse signed it. Before you object, read up on NAFTA and DOMA just to name 2.

P.S. Works the other way too, the republicans have just as many uninformed syncophants.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,565 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You mean besides Clinton and Obama?

That's the problem with a "big tent" you win the presidency....with a guy that's over towards the middle.

In fact, at that point, it's easier for the republicans to push their legislation because the illiterate uninformed masses won't object because their guy in the whitehouse signed it. Before you object, read up on NAFTA and DOMA just to name 2.

P.S. Works the other way too, the republicans have just as many uninformed syncophants.
Polling on NAFTA and gay marriage in general would disagree with you. The Democratic Platform in the 1992 and 1996 only had 2 references to homosexuality and they were about work place equality, not marriage.

It doesnt seem like long ago, but times were different.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Really? after zero leave I think we will raise to restore this nation, the RINOs are the perfect reason why we are losing the culture..

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,744,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Polling on NAFTA and gay marriage in general would disagree with you. The Democratic Platform in the 1992 and 1996 only had 2 references to homosexuality and they were about work place equality, not marriage.

It doesnt seem like long ago, but times were different.
If you can't beat your opponent's ideas, you distort those ideas -- maybe you just make some up! If you don't have a record to run on, then you paint your opponent as somebody people should run away from. You make big elections about small things.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Really? after zero leave I think we will raise to restore this nation, the RINOs are the perfect reason why we are losing the culture..

A moderate is your best shot for the presidency but I guess you would shoot yourself in the foot before you would vote for them. A conservative and all their social issues will never be in the white house.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
True conservatives have ALWAYS been more principled in their core beliefs. This is nothing new in American politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies