Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do think people on welfare should have the right to vote in a state or federal election during an el
No they should not have the right to vote 49 32.03%
Yes they should have the right to vote 99 64.71%
Other 1 0.65%
Welcome to Costco I love you. 9 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 04:55 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I'm one conservative who believes "land owning" should have nothing to do with the right to vote.The problem is there are too many housing bailout program, banks not foreclosing on delinquent "home owners" etc.

Instead of basing voting on land it should be based on tax. The 53% (it's probably lower now) who pay federal income tax should continue to vote, the 47% should lose that right. If they want to vote start paying into the system.
I would suggest you read the Constitution again - maybe twice, since you don't seem to understand how this nation works. I'd also suggest you stop listening to whoever's feeding you this hogwash, particularly the parts about half of the country paying nothing to the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:15 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In that case, childless burger flippers... are victims of ... greedy landlords...
Greedy landlords?

LOL. Uttered by someone who has obviously never been a landlord.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,073,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Do think people on welfare should have the right to vote in a state or federal election during an election year?
If by welfare, you mean government subsidy, than sure, people who receive government subsidies shouldn't be allowed to vote until they get of the government dole.

P.S. Just so people know, HUGE sarcasm in my post.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:55 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
In that case, childless burger flippers are the perfect blameless victims, since they don't qualify for welfare etc while they do pay taxes, plus they are victims of inflation they did not cause, as well as greedy landlords and greedy governments which love to soak greedy landlords with exorbitant taxes.
I do agree with this. The childless poor have it much worse than the poor with children. Our system rewards and provides safety net for poor who have out of wedlock children.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:01 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Thanks for shining the light of wisdom 'pon me.

Why do you think the welfare state is expanding? Maybe it has something to do with the stagnant minimum wage? Or the 200,000 Boomers retiring everyday? Or the shrinking middle class? Or multinationals moving manufacturing overseas? Or the rich paying an ever smaller effective tax rate at the expense of everybody else? Runaway medical costs? Pointless wars syphoning public funds from helping the actual public?

Nahhhhhh, people are just lazy now. Thats a simple and easy answer that doesnt require me to think very hard.
In the natural order of things everything you mentioned should be causing deflation not inflation. Deflation would lower prices and make things easier for the non-welfare poor and middle class to survive.

Government steps in and prints money likes crazy to expand welfare state, institutes fiscal programs like QE and all of this artificially causes crushing inflaion, specifically on items needed to survive. Liberal fiscal policy is terrible for the poor you liberals claim to care about, specifically the poor not on government programs.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:07 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Don't worry about recipients outvoting donors.
When the system collapses, it will impose a 100% budget reduction.
Hope you're all prepared !

Old 08-12-2013, 02:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Don't worry about recipients outvoting donors.
When the system collapses, it will impose a 100% budget reduction.
Hope you're all prepared !

??? Tax rental property up the wazoo, redistribute to homeowners (recipients, majority).

Perfectly sustainable, with no collapse in sight, as long as you tax rent slaves up the wazoo, there will always be enough of them to milk as cash cows.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:32 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
I read the results of the poll and was shocked to see that the right to vote was EVEN in question.

It must be the 1 to 2% of the population whose silver spoons have been polished every single day of their lives. The other explanation is that neuronal connections between brain cells are destroyed or never developed.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Illegals get to vote, so I'd expect the poor to do the same

Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
It must be the 1 to 2% of the population whose silver spoons have been polished every single day of their lives.
Yeah! Because the children of well to do parents are evil!

Making such an irrelevant statement is more indicative of jealousy than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies