Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:38 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,960 times

Advertisements

It is called "globalization" and both parties embraced it and still do. Liberals tend to be as concerned for foreign people as their own citizens. "We are citizens of the world" the mantra goes. Why is anyone surprised at the outcome here. And yes, yes, conservatives are concerned as well primarily for the business end of things where money is made and no one cares about the plight of foreign workers. Dog eat dog everywhere. Then there is the philosophy that diversity is a big strength for our country. So, adding foreign workers ought to be a big plus for those who buy into the diversity piece. Meantime, your neighbors, you family members are scrambling for crumbs. There are not that many crumbs left. Going to get more ugly as time goes forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:40 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
I've seen Indian visa holders take many jobs, including jobs that aren't lacking for skilled employees, Two years ago I applied for a marketing director position and it went to a visa worker. The same company (which yes was Indian run)had the audacity to offer me a low paying clerk position instead (I declined).

Old 08-07-2013, 02:40 PM

234 posts, read 184,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well where are your intelligent technical workers going to come from if you do not import them?

India graduates more engineers per year than the U.S. does all degrees combined.

You got enough lawyers to choke a python but they don't design or build anything do they?
Too true. Americans busy themselves with wanting to star in their own real-life version of L.A. Law or Ally McBeal then do real thinking work like engineering. Notice how lawyer shows are gone off the air but singing prostitute campaigns like The Voice and American Idol are still playing? Everyone in America wants to be a star rather than a hard-working producer of something other than a stain on Justin Beiber's loincloth or Kei$ha's g-string.

Yet at the same time Americans, in their usual myopic shizophrenia with that quaint touch of xenophobia peculiar to Eurocentric paranoids, want to blame educated dark-skinned people for having the trained mental abilities of an engineer!

What is all that education for here in America! To judge others as inferior due to their melanin count?

As for possible innovation lacking in people from elsewhere? Of course, they aren't being rewarded for that innovation are they? Americans will bend over backwards twice to prove to management they shouldn't get pink-slipped even at the cost of due compensation for their labors. They are such well-trained obedient drones in that regard. Americans go on about hating the CEO but won't think once about padding that bum's salary with their innovations if they get that head pat. They might get a $10,000 bonus for it while the lucrative patent they came upon is owned by the company, as it's in the contract signed upon accepting the job.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I've seen Indian visa holders take many jobs, including jobs that aren't lacking for skilled employees, Two years ago I applied for a marketing director position and it went to a visa worker. The same company (which yes was Indian run)had the audacity to offer me a low paying clerk position instead (I declined).
I quit my last job because it was a Calcutta sweatshop.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
i'd love to see the H1B program opened up to lawyers, accountants, doctors, nurses, real estate agents, janitors, farmers, retail employees ....

let everyone else see how much FUN it is to compete against third world labor

Old 08-07-2013, 03:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i'd love to see the H1B program opened up to lawyers, accountants, doctors, nurses, real estate agents, janitors, farmers, retail employees ....

Work visas are being expanded in the immigration bill.
And these workers are exempt from the Obamacare mandate as well as employers.

FWIW Accounting has been offshored for some time now.

But here's a funny story..a 6 figured salaried worker at Verizon offshored his own job to China for 1/5th his salary and got away with it for a while

US Developer Outsourced His Work to China to Surf Reddit

Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,813,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Infosys, an Indian IT software and services company with offices throughout the world, has been accused of discriminating against American job applicants. One Infosys employee who raised concerns about the company's hiring practices was repeatedly called a "stupid American," the lawsuit states.

Infosys has about 15,000 employees in the US "and approximately 90 percent of these employees are of South Asian descent (including individuals of Indian, Nepalese, and Bangladeshi descent)," the lawsuit states.

Indian IT firm accused of discrimination against “stupid Americans” | Ars Technica
Americans are stupid? Why, just because they lay off American workers and import workers who call them stupid?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:20 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
We have these workers here. I know many educated scientists and engineers who are unemployed.
Oh really? What are they still doing sitting on their hands? How come they haven't gone where the work is?

A resume showing a period of lack of work does not speak well towards a person holding one of the science or engineering degrees. What that says is "I wasn't willing to seek elsewhere for a job to remian current in my field". "I sat on my azz waiting for a job to come to me".

Those folks you know sitting on their hands are being left behind while others are keeping current in their respective fields.

Immigrants have that in common, they go looking for work until they find it. Even outside their comfort zone. That would be the guy I'd hire before one sitting on his butt playing his PS3 waiting for the phone to ring.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:

Some of that work is off shored, but half the jobs you listed require licensing and the other half can be (is) performed by illegal immigrants.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:40 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,623,473 times
Quote:

It's being done with Nurses now....I think a lot of us KNOW how it feels-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies