Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,763,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Smell View Post
The other is the rampant attitude in IT amongst American-raised employees where they feel cheated on because work is offshored or taken by visa-holders. Do Americans think that corporations care about them when they can get the same work done somewhere else or by someone else for less and with less drama?
doubtful

they're probably more concerned about the fact that it is happening in their industry, but not in other, more-protected white collar industries.

if india started churning out J.D.'s and shipping them over here, politicians would have a sh*t fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:43 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,308,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think one issue is, once Indians become managers and CEOs, they tend to hire more Indians.
It is not a very healthy culture.
Kinda like white guys in the US, especially before laws were placed to stop discrimination.
It is not a very healthy culture.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,308,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
U.S. people have been worrying about the next wave of immigrants taking their jobs, since forever.
Irish need not apply.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:52 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Its funny because I work in IT with lots of Indians and I notice the trend is reversing. Companies are trying to get rid of Indians and hire Americans, because the Indians often don't do very good work, aren't as good at coding, and also have a hard time understanding the requirements or communicating with non-technical customers (since English isn't their first language).

One project I was on was almost exclusively Indians, both here and offshore. But every time one of them rolled off the project, they were replaced by a non-Indian. I don't think it was a coincidence.

The company I work for now found this to be true. They tried out-sourcing to India, it was a complete failure. They may have been technically adept, but with rare exception, the nuances of the projects escaped them and they apparently couldn't deliver on time or on budget, a common complaint.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,731,619 times
Quote:
Yeah, and I'm sure those nine programmers have found much better jobs.

Why are you sure of that?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Well if it's just against White people then it's not discrimination is it ?

Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,180,579 times
Quote:
A company has to pay money to sponsor an H1-B visa.
In fact, many jobs require American citizenship.

Exactly. I work in the financial services sector of IT. Some positions require American citizens to hold those positions due to the sensitivity of the data and the infrastructure.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
It's being done with Nurses now....I think a lot of us KNOW how it feels-
Oh god, tell me about it. Last time my mother was in the hospital, not one of her nurses or doctors was American. Not one.

Quote:
Name one then. Just one.
I am not sharing my friends' and colleagues' names on this public forum. However, I have known programmers and other IT professionals who have been out of work for 6+ months after the end of a contract or after being laid off. It's also getting more difficult to find work, to even get your foot in the door, because if a recruiter hasn't drunk the 'Indians are better' Kool-Aid, they are themselves Indian. Not having an Indian name is a serious handicap in IT in DFW.

Quote:
A company has to pay money to sponsor an H1-B visa.
In fact, many jobs require American citizenship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Only the Federal Government requires citizens.
Not even city/state governments require citizens to work.
You don't have to be a US citizen to work for my company, but you do have to be a US citizen to work on some of our projects...government agencies and regular Wall Street companies alike. One extremely well-known client of ours insisted in writing that only American citizens be allowed to work on their data. That's why I was hired in the first place. Many of our prominent clients either require US citizens only work on their data, or strongly prefer it. Thank g-d.

For one project I had to pass a background check for a security clearance that was just recently granted. It took 11 months. If people wonder why government IT work takes so long, think about all the security clearances that have to be issued to third-party vendors like us and how long they take to process, then realize that we can't even start working until we have clearance.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:19 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,817,445 times
Quote:
Indians are GOOD talkers too, even better than Americans (though they have a unique accent).
They are not Chinese or Koreans.
The Indians can thank their lucky stars that they were an English colony, at least now they can, because English is manditory in their education. I do admit that they can throw around the bs as well or better than their American managerial counterparts, but it is often a challenge to make sense of their writing. Even though they use correctly spelled words, the sentences are often structured as to be either ambiguous or unintelligible.
We are lucky that the Chinese/Koreans were not forced to learn English else they would be at least as dominant in IT as the Indians.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,771,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
The Indians can thank their lucky stars that they were an English colony, at least now they can, because English is manditory in their education. I do admit that they can throw around the bs as well or better than their American managerial counterparts, but it is often a challenge to make sense of their writing. Even though they use correctly spelled words, the sentences are often structured as to be either ambiguous or unintelligible.
We are lucky that the Chinese/Koreans were not forced to learn English else they would be at least as dominant in IT as the Indians.
Chinese and Koreans are forced to learn English too, but only in "English classes".
I heard India uses English in all subjects since high school.

Plus, Hindi is an Indo-European language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies