Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 08:53 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,336,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
Agreed. I think our society is becoming more self absorbed all the time.

I think you are on to something about the singling out of "inconvenient people" Kids are easy targets because they can't defend themselves or advocate. The bullies on this board seem to get off calling a whole segment of society some pretty ugly things. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves and how "good" they are.

For me, I don't see too much difference between the crumb rangers and a two year old. Both are Id driven and think the world must suit them. The difference is the crumb rangers are ostensibly adults and should have developed higher reasoning abilities, tolerance and empathy. They know nothing about the families they are calling trash, nothing at all, just quick bigoted judgments.
No, your wrong, we all feel differently about issues...
and when we own a restaurant, we have the right to ask any customer who is being abusive to the facility to leave. No one cares about a few crumbs on the floor, and not all children are messy and unruly....hower, and I think you will agree, there are children who fit that label....as some have explained, that doesn't mean your kids, or anyone elses kids in this thread.
I don't know why some of you are getting so offensive....there are good parents and bad parents, who do not teach their children how to sit at a table in a restaurant full of people who are out for a quiet evening or lunch together. Kids are not easy targets if they behave....I believe your taking this to the total other end of the spectrum, assuming that people are speaking about all kids.
Most of us have children or have had children, and my kids were taught to sit up at the table, eat nicely, quietly and try to leave everything as we found it, period.

These are not bigoted judgements, all people are asking is, to please teach children, when they are out in public to use their inside voices, and to sit up at the table and eat properly. That isn't being intolerant or judgmental...it is simply courteous to all around you...children are wonder little people, if they are behaved and taught to be polite....that is all this is about....if the child drops crumbs on the floor, then apologize and ask if you can clean it up...be a little more aware, that it is a privilege to attend a public environment, and what a perfect way to train kids, is to take them out in public. It is great practice and the best way to teach a kid manners. If the kid acts up, then leave...I've done that, no biggy, it teaches the child to behave. period.

Teaching a child to act like little ladies and gentleman is an asset to society...and good parenting....

No one is saying your wrong or a bad parent, we're simply discussing parenting and children who are not parented very well. I don't understand why you would take such determined anger and offense to this...I believe everyone wants a well behaved child.

A friend of mine, had a huge weekend family affair, and people came in from another state. One of the children, was really bad, interrupting constantly when adults were talking, crying, whining, doing anything for attention, it pretty much ruined the weekend for a lot of adults...the mother said nothing, so, my friend spoke to the child and repromanded her. When you are a guest in someone else's home, you teach kids goon manners...the same way with going out in public, be it a restaurant, movie, shopping, etc....you and your children are guests...no one wants to hear a screaming child who pulls tantrums b/c he/she is not getting they're way....that is what we're talking about....not your everyday good parents....who try very hard to parent they're children in a way so that everyone is happy...and there are really good parents and kids out there...

I believe strongly if this mother would have apologized for the mess, regardless, the owner would have left it go...but she didn't, she just assumed that she has a right to allow her kid, to be messy, which proves, she had no awareness of the fact that they were guests and to try and leave the place as they found it.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 08-11-2013 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 08:58 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,558,967 times
I was in a Chinese restaurant not long ago and watched parents let their little monster go running through the place ahead of the hostess who was seating them. The banshee then stood on the seat of the booth to climb in. As he turned to face the table, still standing, the seat flipped up hurling him toward the table, chin first.

Of course he screamed and threw a fit. The parents? They looked at eachother and blamed the seat for being 'dangerous'. These are the leeches, watch them whine.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:02 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,149,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's the problem --- a lot of parents have nice behaved kids but because of the slobs, there most likely will be more restaurants banning kids at least after certain hours.

Even if the majority of kids can behave, the restaurants probably can't say "bring your behaved kids" and kick out the bratty ones. They'll just say no children, plenty of people will show up and families will have fewer choices, even those with decent kids.
Exactly! I recently went to a luncheon for a women's organization where it was encouraged to bring the kids. About 12 kids attended. Nine were the best behaved young people. Three (all the same mother) has now ruined it. While letting one of her "angels" open ever last individual little carton of maple syrup and pour it all over his and his brothers plate (thus ruining both the meals).. the other "angel" was busy licking the tops of all the salt shakers. Then of course, the screaming tantrums began. I realize kids are kids, and crumbs on a floor are no big deal. But in this case, crumbs seems to be just a symptom of the bigger problem. Parenting or lack thereof....

Needless to say... I can guarantee that our organization wouldn't be welcomed back again to that establishment due to the actions of just one mom....

Old 08-11-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I was in a Chinese restaurant not long ago and watched parents let their little monster go running through the place ahead of the hostess who was seating them. The banshee then stood on the seat of the booth to climb in. As he turned to face the table, still standing, the seat flipped up hurling him toward the table, chin first.

Of course he screamed and threw a fit. The parents? They looked at eachother and blamed the seat for being 'dangerous'. These are the leeches, watch them whine.
yeah, see, this is what people are talking about, and the parents had no clue, plus no respect for the property of others, so when they go visiting family, and friends, the kid is allowed to climb all over the furniture, WRONG! It plainly shows, the parents do not know how to parent....then how does the child know how to behave in school, church or in the homes of others. Same with putting all my stuff on tables away, no, I taught my child, there are things he was not allowed to touch or pick up, which were not his, simple???????

But some parents cannot be bothered with discipline.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Exactly! I recently went to a luncheon for a women's organization where it was encouraged to bring the kids. About 12 kids attended. Nine were the best behaved young people. Three (all the same mother) has now ruined it. While letting one of her "angels" open ever last individual little carton of maple syrup and pour it all over his and his brothers plate (thus ruining both the meals).. the other "angel" was busy licking the tops of all the salt shakers. Then of course, the screaming tantrums began. I realize kids are kids, and crumbs on a floor are no big deal. But in this case, crumbs seems to be just a symptom of the bigger problem. Parenting or lack thereof....

Needless to say... I can guarantee that our organization wouldn't be welcomed back again to that establishment due to the actions of just one mom....
yes, see, that is where I believe we're all wrong here....somesone should have left this woman know, this was unacceptable behavior, and told her, that you won't be invited back b/c of her child's behavior.

I believe in this world today, we reward bad behavior, and we shouldn't....we should let people know when they are displaying unacceptable behavior.

I believe if more people would start speaking up, things might change, but, people must stick together..like my friend, she spoke up and that woman and her child, will never ever be invited to her home again, not even for a little while, b/c her kid was just bad....and disruptive, broke things, and just made everyone else miserable.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,160,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
As a Desert Storm vet with small children, I would be absolutly appauled if my wife were to try to use that as some excuse.

We serve because we love our country. We do not serve so our borish behavior can be justfied.

good grief.
Thank you for your service and also for not trying to use it as a blanket excuse for wrongdoing.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,575,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Thank you for your service and also for not trying to use it as a blanket excuse for wrongdoing.
A few crumbs under a table is not 'wrongdoing'. That said, being in the military is no excuse for anything.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:11 AM

37,157 posts, read 19,271,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
LOL that's it some gdam crumbs on the floor? Don't they have a vacuum cleaner at that dump? Lord have mercy. Kids are kids. If somebody gets that bent out of shape about some crumbs on the floor they need to either cater to only adults who would never think of spilling anything or pipe down and do your job. Does this woman scream about having to wipe off the table for the next customer in line too?
I knew we could agree on something. You open a restaurant, that comes with the territory. Suck it up (literally) and move on.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,160,800 times
My sister has four little angels age 5-13. We all dread their visits (thankfully these are few abd far between) because her and her husband refuse to use any discipline at all, last year one of their pwecious kids hid her dads car keys and giggled at her parents helpless pleas to produce said keys. She then marked up the wall with orange crayon and when her grandma handed her a rag and demanded she scrub off the crayon, her dad swiftly stepped in to take the rag saying " oh, its ok, Ill clean it, she didnt mean it" as if it would be wrong to have HER clean it. Grandma snatched the rag and handed it back to the kid and said YOU will clean it while I watch. She looked confused as if shes never had to take responsibility for anything and lamely scrubbed it with a pained look on her face. Lucky thing Grandpa is no pushover and he took dad aside to basically tell him the next time they visit they need to discipline their pwecious ones.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
My sister has four little angels age 5-13. We all dread their visits (thankfully these are few abd far between) because her and her husband refuse to use any discipline at all, last year one of their pwecious kids hid her dads car keys and giggled at her parents helpless pleas to produce said keys. She then marked up the wall with orange crayon and when her grandma handed her a rag and demanded she scrub off the crayon, her dad swiftly stepped in to take the rag saying " oh, its ok, Ill clean it, she didnt mean it" as if it would be wrong to have HER clean it. Grandma snatched the rag and handed it back to the kid and said YOU will clean it while I watch. She looked confused as if shes never had to take responsibility for anything and lamely scrubbed it with a pained look on her face. Lucky thing Grandpa is no pushover and he took dad aside to basically tell him the next time they visit they need to discipline their pwecious ones.
Good post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies