Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The story would indicate that both the mother and the restaurant owner could use some lessons in civility.
That about sums it up for me.

But I'll expound upon it anyway.

Seems like the business owner was venting about two separate issues:

1) The mess
2) The kids running wild and screaming

The mess doesn't look worthy of the vent, in my opinion. So there are some crumbs on the floor. Get a sweeper and take care of it, 10 seconds later you're done. A few people have commented that the photo was taken after larger pieces were picked up, but I didn't see that anywhere in the article. If that was the case, and you wanted to make a point about the messiness of the the patrons, why not take the picture before you cleaned? Taking a picture of a moderate amount of crumbs doesn't really support your case.

2) Kids running wild and being loud and disruptive is a pet peeve of mine, and I have three young kids. We talk about manners and expectations before we go into a restaurant. I remind them know that if there's a problem, we will leave immediately. Then I follow through - it takes a few repetitions for the 3/4 & under crowd, but it's nice when they're school-aged and you can dine out in a nice restaurant without feeling tense or embarrassed by their behavior.

I don't see what being a military spouse has to do with anything. It kind of undermines the customer's argument, because it makes her look like she thinks she needs an excuse for her and her children's behavior. If she didn't think she did anything wrong, why the need to even bring up military spouse status?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 10:31 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
DH and I were at a family restaurant not long ago, and the toddler in a high chair was flinging food all over while mom ignored him and an elderly woman, whom I'm assuming was grandma, assumed a weak smile while gazing upon the cherub as if she'd just seen God. When they got up to leave, BTW, the floor looked three-times as bad as the one in that pic.

Those people should be ashamed of themselves, and glad the picture isn't of the entire family of slobs. When I see kids misbehaving, running amok, and acting like savages in restuarants without being corrected, I view it as just another lost opportunity to teach kids what's acceptable public behavior. Unfortunatley, it makes for a very unpleasant experience for the rest of us.

Yuck

Last edited by Delahanty; 04-11-2014 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
DH and I were at a family restaurant not long ago, and the toddler in a high chair was flinging food all over while mom ignored him and an elderly woman, whom I'm assuming was grandma, assumed a weak smile while gazing upon the cherub as if she'd just seen God. When they got up to leave, BTW, the floor looked three-times as bad as the one in that pic.

Those people should be ashamed of themselves, and glad the picture isn't of the entire family of slobs. When I see kids misbehaving, running amok, and acting like savages in restuarants without being corrected, I view it as just another lost opportunity to teach kids what's acceptable public behavior. Unfortunatley, it makes for a very unpleasant experience for the rest of us.

Yuck

well said, I waitressed for a time, and can tell you, I'd had my share of parents who left their kids do anything, just as long as the parents were not inconvenienced by them....awful parenting, then I had to clean up that slimy mess....and parents who take their kids out sick, is a real pet peve of mine. When I'm in a store, (and I'm innume deficiant due to MS) and someone's kid is coughing, has snot running down it's nose, and the mother is shopping...OMG? To me, she bred children that will grow up to be just like her, no clue about the personal space of others....just like the woman who left her kid run wild in the dentist office. My mother was sick as a dog from a bad tooth...and I finally said something to the woman and was prepared to go head on head with her...cuz her brats ran into my mom 3 times, and I'd just about had it....she didn't yell at them, so I did.

Some people just shouldn't be parents.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:18 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I agree the owner should speak up in person to the woman, which she did. I do not agree that she should take it public. I think it gives a negative vibe to customers.
well, maybe your right, but I've had it with non caring parents who let their kids do anything and no one but no one calls them on it, people are afraid to speak up and some kids behaviors are unacceptable. Really....and I'm serioulsy being honest....I'm sick to death of unruly kids who are misbehaving....if people stick together like years ago, maybe kids would be more aware.

and that is the ticket, parents today are not aware so the kids won't be either.

We were not allowed to speak loudly in a public place, we had to whisper.

I went to a restaurant with my mom and family once, and there were high school kids there that were so loud, none of us could hear. When I think of it now, I should have gone over to the table myself or told management. Next time that happens I will....my mothers gone now, we took her out to eat, and that is all I remember about the night out, and how they spoiled our time...same with brats sitting in a high chair sceaming and throwing things around.

parenting is a huge, I mean huge responsiblity...you have to start training them before they are 5 years old, b/c if you don't, their characters are pretty much set of who they are going to be and how they are going to react and act.

I don't believe people realize the sever responsiblity....nor do they care and they keep popping out kids though?

boy could I tell you stories....so, when I see good kids and responsible parents, you better believe I'm going to walk up to them and praise them and their kids for doing such a good job.

and the messes I've had to clean up as a waitress....when a kid eats, you've got to teach them table manners...and how to eat properly....no chewing with their mouths open, no talking with their mouths open, no screaming, no talking loud...etc.....your in a public place, be aware of that, and how you make or break the other persons time out.

Old 04-11-2014, 11:47 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I worked in a restaurant for several years as well. Funny... not all families behaved like that. Some kids were civil and others were not. You learned to know immediately when folks walked through the door which had children who were going to behave like gorillas and which did not. The fact that some families were actually civil sort of discredits the idea that all kids are, by default, uncontrollable animals and that "kids will be kids."

I do agree with you about "horrifying adults" though. Those are the ones who were never taught manners as children.

A kid can be civil and messy though at the same time. I definitely would never defend the parents who let their kids run wild. That is totally unacceptable. But many kids (toddlers especially ) are very messy eaters and it has more to do with development then it has to do with manners. They get crumbs everywhere. It's not because they are out of control, it's because they are toddlers.

As a parent a good and considerate way to handle it would be to leave a little extra tip. When I worked in restaurants I would have never expected a parent to get under the table and pick crumbs up off the floor when it will take me a minute to sweep it up with a broom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies