Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:16 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,732 times

Advertisements

Me: Hi, I'd like to cash this paycheck.

Teller: Ok sir, could you please sign the back and could I have your ID?

Me: Of course!
-------------------------------------------

Me: Hello sir, I'd like a pack of Marlboro Lights in the box please.

Clerk: Yes sir, soft or box?

Me: Box please.

Clerk: Ok sir, could I please see some ID?

-------------------------------------------

Me: Yes sir I'd like to pay for my meal now.

Cashier: Ok sir, that'll be 29.75. Will that be cash or credit sir?

Me: Credit please sir, here is my card.

Cashier: Ty sir, could I please see some ID?

--------------------------------------------

Here's hoping you folks get where I'm going here.

We as a nation are currently locked in quite the heated debate. The issue, should ID be required to go and cast your votes? On one side, we have people who believe that elections are a very big deal, and that some manner of checks and balances should be in place to prevent voter fraud. So, these people think it would be a splendid idea to simply require a photo ID when going to the polls. Sounds pretty reasonable to me, considering when we go cast our vote we are choosing the people who will be running our country.

Now, on the other side, we have people crying foul, claiming that to require an ID would deny a vast number of voters from being able to vote. The reasons have been everything from they can't afford an ID to they don't have a birth certificate. You name, it's been said. But we live in a society that functions based on identification. You can't buy certain products, you can't open a bank account, you can't cash a check, you can't use a credit card, etc. without identification. So why in a country that wants ID for everything would you not want ID to ensure your elections are as fair and balanced as possible and that each person gets one vote, and that's it. I can't think of a more important time to check ID than the moment before a vote for who is going to run this nation is cast.

A state ID here where I live runs somewhere between 10 to 15 dollars. So really, you can't use cost as a reason for not having ID. No birth certificate. Well, there are ways to work that out as well. We have millions of residents in our country who aren't even legally here, yet they have driver's licenses. Thus, even they have ID. There is literally no ground to stand on when trying to rationalize why some people have a problem with asking for ID at the polls. Which kind of makes you wonder, what is their real motivation? I leave it to you all to discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:18 PM

893 posts, read 1,207,069 times
Shouldn't the real question be: why should you have to show ID for so many other things?

Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Shouldn't the real question be: why should you have to show ID for so many other things?
Actually, no, I don't think so. It is necessary to require ID. Otherwise, I could go and cash your paycheck at a check cashing establishment with no problem. You could steal my wallet and use my credit cards with no worries. ID is necessary, period.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:22 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,209,100 times
Quote:
Nanny staters have no problem showing their ID, I haven't shown my ID to anyone in months.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,801,586 times
Quote:

Because there are dishonest people out there
who may say that they are who they aren't.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 PM

26,483 posts, read 15,063,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Nanny staters have no problem showing their ID, I haven't shown my ID to anyone in months.
You haven't shown your ID to anyone in months?!?! Either you are a real BA or you haven't done many things that tend to require ID.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
What is the problem voter ID is attempting to solve?

State issued IDs probably have a tracking device embedded within.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Beyond continuing education credit, I have not been asked for an ID in years.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:47 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
It depends what you do. If I go to the grocery story to buy food, I'm not asked for ID. Someone buying cigarettes or alcohol likely will be asked for an ID.

I go to the bank to get cash, I just swipe my bank card and enter the PIN. If I went to a check cashing place I would expect to be asked to prove my identity. I don't go to those places because I have no need for them.

Once I stopped in a branch of the bank I use, that was in another town. I had never been there before. I filled out the paper to withdraw money from my account and handed it to the teller. He gave me money and never asked for ID. I told him it bothered me that he would pull money from my account and hand it to a stranger just because I knew the account number. This was before I had a debit card and used the ATM.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post

A state ID here where I live runs somewhere between 10 to 15 dollars. So really, you can't use cost as a reason for not having ID. .
No state that has passed this legislation is charging for the ID if you need it to vote.

Quote:
No birth certificate. Well, there are ways to work that out as well.
"Secure ID's" require substantial documentation including a birth certificate, that's federal law. That's why PA is issuing a voting only ID if you cannot qualify for the regular ID. They will firs attmpt to obtain the BC for you, if that's not possible you're eligible for the other ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies