Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

My signature is my ID when I vote. You don't need an ID to mail in vote, why should you need one to vote in person? Unless you think each state should have a free ID card that can be mailed to every resident to insure everyone can vote....and I am sure no one has ever tried to make a fake ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:12 AM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
My signature is my ID when I vote. You don't need an ID to mail in vote, why should you need one to vote in person? Unless you think each state should have a free ID card that can be mailed to every resident to insure everyone can vote....and I am sure no one has ever tried to make a fake ID.
I had to show an ID when I registered to vote, not sure why I should have to show it again and again.

board of elections did a background check and verified i was eligible to vote.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
so if your BC is lost or stolen, you cannot renew it.
You can get a copy of you BC, matter of fact that is the process in PA. When you go to get the ID you have to apply for the normal ID and they will try and obtain your BC for you if you do not have one. It's only when the BC can't be obtained you'll be issued the voting only ID that requires less documentation. Very few people should require that ID.

Also note there is numerous other forms of valid ID for voting like college ID's, long term care ID's, military ID, any government issued ID....

Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
....and I am sure no one has ever tried to make a fake ID.
A fake PA ID would probably be worth thousands if you could make one. In addition to what you see when you flip it another way all the counties names are visible. The black and white hologram is particularly hard to duplicate, the white and black areas change from white to black depending on which way you are looking at it.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Shouldn't the real question be: why should you have to show ID for so many other things?
The answer is obvious. There are a number of dishonest people.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The answer is obvious. There are a number of dishonest people.
voter fraud is .0002% or some crazy low number.

There are definitely dishonest people in the world but 99.999% of them are trying to steal or fake identity for important things like money, liquor or cigarettes..oh, and kids trying to get in clubs.

No one is spending days and nights planning how to create voter fraud every 2 to 4 years.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:09 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Shouldn't the real question be: why should you have to show ID for so many other things?
Nope. Showing ID proves you're old enough or legal to do certain things. It also protects you. I hate that many stores no longer ask for ID when using a credit card. It is too easy for someone to use a stolen credit card.

Showing ID protects us and protects our children. It should also protect the voting process. Not having ID is the fault of the person without ID. It's not like elections happen randomly and catch them off guard. They have time to prepare. For example, the next presidential election will be in November of 2016. That's over three years from now. That's PLENTY of time to get an ID if you don't have one.

Interestingly, I'm in Michigan and I am asked for my ID when I vote. Not sure if it's the law but they ask for my driver's license. I never seem to be able to find my voter registration card. Fortunately, I'm on the list.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Several polls show that over 70% of Americans believe that photo IDs should be required to vote. Including the majority of minorities and some even the majority of Democrats.

Washington Post: 74% of Ameircans want voter photo ID laws.

Rasmussen Poll: 72% nationwide want photo ID laws.

Fox News Poll: 70% of Americans want voter ID laws.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of good reasons against it on this thread mostly whining about why they should have to.

Most voter ID laws:
1) Allow many forms of ID, driver's licences, college IDs, Nursing Home IDs, Military IDs, state employee photo ID, etc...

2) Allow free photo IDs if you don't already have one of the many they accept.

3) Allow people that forget their photo ID on election day to come back within a week with their ID.

I can't help but feel as if some people deliberately ignore the obvious, because they know it could help their party with fraud.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
There should be no regulations on anything guaranteed in the Constitution.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
I show my ID when go to the bank. I want them to verify that I am who I say I am.

Otherwise I don't show my ID without a good reason. I usually refuse to show it when buying cigarettes or cough syrup. Since I'm nearly 40, there's no reason for them to see it. I give them a fake birthdate (01/31/my birth year) to key in, and they almost always shrug and accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies