Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:23 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,801,128 times

Advertisements

Are you assuming anyone is watching MM's movies?

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,801,128 times
BTW, he was recently seen in London.

15-ton fat blob removed from London sewer

Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,219,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It's like saying Reefer Madness is a disservice to the marijuana debate.
Reefer Madness is a classic who is loved by all who have seen it.

Seriously, I've met pot heads who love the movie. How can you not like it???

Old 08-10-2013, 10:39 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Background checks as well as all other gun control scheme will do nothing to stem the violence only arming as many law abiding citizens as possible can we reduce crime.
Arming law abiding citizens who wish to be armed is not a bad idea. Disarming non-law abiding ones is also not a bad idea. Hence, background checks.

But I think the prohibition on firearms ought to apply only to those convicted of violent crimes, not all crimes or even all felonies.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:44 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,754,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Arming law abiding citizens who wish to be armed is not a bad idea. Disarming non-law abiding ones is also not a bad idea. Hence, background checks.

But I think the prohibition on firearms ought to apply only to those convicted of violent crimes, not all crimes or even all felonies.
and if they buy one on the black market? Universal background checks= national registry= confiscation=civil war.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:47 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,840 times
Quote:
and if they buy one on the black market? Universal background checks= national registry= confiscation=civil war.
Your equation breaks down at the first hurdle. A national registry of persons disqualified from firearms ownership is not the same as a registry of gun owners.

If they buy one on the black market, they would be in violation of the law, just like many unqualified gun owners (e.g. felons) are right now.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:53 AM

26,588 posts, read 15,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Are you assuming anyone is watching MM's movies?

Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Old news. That flick came out back when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth.

I saw it. Totally uninteresting.
Bowling for Columbine is not old news. It is one of the most watched "documentaries" in schools across America. Nearly every kid at the school I teach at sees it...with nothing in the curriculum criticizing the movie. Every single kid sees at least one Michael Moore movie as Sicko is part of the curriculum for Health and Health is required to graduate.

My professor within the college of education recommended that we show it to students in 2002. Teachers at my school and the previous school that I taught at make comments like "I love Michael Moore". One admiring teacher said that Michael Moore was 1 of 3 people on Earth that she wants to see before she dies. Teacher's at my previous school also showed the movie as a "documentary."

I eventually created an elective class where we look at controversial topics and debate them. One teacher was upset that we watched 2 Michael Moore films, then a third one that criticized his films, and then had the students perform research and debate. Criticizing Michael Moore "allows those against change to win" and isn't "fair" even though all I do is show the 3 movies and have the kids perform their own research - I don't point anything out either way. The students have to critique specific parts of each documentary in a paper.

I am going to stop showing 2 films of Michael Moore, because it is a waste of time...they are already so familiar with him from other classes...Sicko, Capitalism a Love Story, Fahrenheit 9-11, Bowling for Columbine, Roger and Me...I have known to be shown in my school. Of course, no student sees all of those in their classes.

The film is still relevant and watched today.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:31 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,493,616 times
Quote:
Background checks as well as all other gun control scheme will do nothing to stem the violence only arming as many law abiding citizens as possible can we reduce crime.

It hurts your arguments because you don't have one. its all emotion and opinions, nothing more, We have the facts, statistics, logic and reason on our side? what do you guys have?
Everybody who is behind bars today was once a "law abiding" citizen. DUH!

Old 08-11-2013, 02:34 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,833,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Bowling for Columbine is not old news. It is one of the most watched "documentaries" in schools across America. Nearly every kid at the school I teach at sees it...with nothing in the curriculum criticizing the movie. Every single kid sees at least one Michael Moore movie as Sicko is part of the curriculum for Health and Health is required to graduate.

My professor within the college of education recommended that we show it to students in 2002. Teachers at my school and the previous school that I taught at make comments like "I love Michael Moore". One admiring teacher said that Michael Moore was 1 of 3 people on Earth that she wants to see before she dies. Teacher's at my previous school also showed the movie as a "documentary."

I eventually created an elective class where we look at controversial topics and debate them. One teacher was upset that we watched 2 Michael Moore films, then a third one that criticized his films, and then had the students perform research and debate. Criticizing Michael Moore "allows those against change to win" and isn't "fair" even though all I do is show the 3 movies and have the kids perform their own research - I don't point anything out either way. The students have to critique specific parts of each documentary in a paper.

I am going to stop showing 2 films of Michael Moore, because it is a waste of time...they are already so familiar with him from other classes...Sicko, Capitalism a Love Story, Fahrenheit 9-11, Bowling for Columbine, Roger and Me...I have known to be shown in my school. Of course, no student sees all of those in their classes.

The film is still relevant and watched today.
So you are upset that Michael Moore has made some outstanding documentaries that often expose the right wing machine, and you wish to hide it?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:38 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,584,594 times
In all fairness Moore made a documentary about the carnage guns inflict on us as a society so why be critical of him when he is pointing out a obvious truth.
If we can regulate things like having a license to drive and operate a car why not firearms? How exactly did these 2 teens amass such a arsenal of guns to murder so many others in Columbine?
Hate to say this but we all know somebody who really has no business owning a gun to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies