Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 PM

26,480 posts, read 15,063,045 times

Advertisements

Bowling For Columbine hurts the discussion this nation is having about guns.

#1 It is full of outright lies and blatant distortions, which breaks the discord down with gun advocates. Even on the small stuff...like the movie tries to claim there is a KKK and NRA connection from their inception date...which is absurd, since Grant, yes the Grant that outlawed the KKK and was hated by the KKK was also the first NRA president, which was founded by Northern Veterans.

#2 It not only downplays the biggest cause of gun problems in America, it calls people a fool for pointing it out. The biggest gun problem is murders. Bowling for Columbine argues that the biggest gun problem in Michigan is in the suburbs, which it connects to white teens. He interviews an official of Gennessee county that says the biggest gun problems are in the suburbs. The biggest gun problem is not in the suburbs...it is in the cities. The cities of Detroit and Flint have just under 10% of the state's population but roughly 70% of the state's murders. Yes there are gun problems all over, but can anyone deny that in Michigan the problem is that Detroit averages over a murder a day and most go unsolved? How can we find a solution or even have an honest debate if the focus of Moore is on the suburbs being the main problem, when the 2 worst inner cities account for 10% of the population and 70% of the murders?

I am sick of my state having so many murders and sick of most of the murders in Detroit going unsolved.

P.S. I am for back ground checks and doing something to stem the senseless murders. I just think this movie hurts that cause more than it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Old news. That flick came out back when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth.

I saw it. Totally uninteresting.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:53 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,070 times
Moore has lost credibility after his pandering to the OWS crowd for some spotlight time. He's been riding on the success of Roger and Me, and has yet to even come close. Fahrenheit 9/11 was the last work of any significance, and was basically a tale of Bush hate. He needs to do a 2012 911 to show he isn't a one-sided moron.

I'll start holding my breath for that now.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Old news. That flick came out back when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth.

I saw it. Totally uninteresting.
It's like saying Reefer Madness is a disservice to the marijuana debate.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:03 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,748,380 times
moore is in the oprah club. they're both fat, disgusting, talentless, and hypocritical.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Bowling For Columbine hurts the discussion this nation is having about guns.

#1 It is full of outright lies and blatant distortions, which breaks the discord down with gun advocates. Even on the small stuff...like the movie tries to claim there is a KKK and NRA connection from their inception date...which is absurd, since Grant, yes the Grant that outlawed the KKK and was hated by the KKK was also the first NRA president, which was founded by Northern Veterans.

#2 It not only downplays the biggest cause of gun problems in America, it calls people a fool for pointing it out. The biggest gun problem is murders. Bowling for Columbine argues that the biggest gun problem in Michigan is in the suburbs, which it connects to white teens. He interviews an official of Gennessee county that says the biggest gun problems are in the suburbs. The biggest gun problem is not in the suburbs...it is in the cities. The cities of Detroit and Flint have just under 10% of the state's population but roughly 70% of the state's murders. Yes there are gun problems all over, but can anyone deny that in Michigan the problem is that Detroit averages over a murder a day and most go unsolved? How can we find a solution or even have an honest debate if the focus of Moore is on the suburbs being the main problem, when the 2 worst inner cities account for 10% of the population and 70% of the murders?

I am sick of my state having so many murders and sick of most of the murders in Detroit going unsolved.

P.S. I am for back ground checks and doing something to stem the senseless murders. I just think this movie hurts that cause more than it helps.
Background checks as well as all other gun control scheme will do nothing to stem the violence only arming as many law abiding citizens as possible can we reduce crime.

It hurts your arguments because you don't have one. its all emotion and opinions, nothing more, We have the facts, statistics, logic and reason on our side? what do you guys have?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:10 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
moore is in the oprah club. they're both fat, disgusting, talentless, and hypocritical.
Michael Moore is a disservice to humanity. He's a bundle of s**t wrapped in skin.............

Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Michael Moore made a movie?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,748,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
no. he just wanted buttered popcorn and milk duds.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:17 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,208,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
In the late 90's I believe.

What's next, outrage over John Lennon's Christ comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies