Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SHOULD NORTH COLORADO BECOME A STATE
Yes 64 36.57%
No 96 54.86%
Other 2 1.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 11:32 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times

Advertisements

The next movement could involve a state forcing a city to succeed, it would be interesting if Mich just gave Detriot it's walking papers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:34 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why does Texas still have a right that all the other states don't have? Is that even constitutional?
Texas entered the USA (became a State after negotiation) as a Republic by Treaty - no other State did that. There are several things that are different about Texas than other States ..... like our off-shore water boundaries are twice that of all other States. Texas also has an independent closed Electric Grid, but that had nothing to do with a Treaty - it was developed to be independent by Texans.

This was Texas when it first became a State

After the Mexican-American War and the Treaty of Hidalgo ... the US entered into negotiations to carve out some of Texas to form other States. Current boundaries were set by the Compromise of 1850

Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"We". Why not? It is up to the people of each state to decide, not you and me.

If you live in a state that is continually controlled politically by 1 party, if you don't agree with their philosophy, then you have NO representation.
Actually it is up to State Legislators and Congress.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:49 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

Or maybe a better example might be. Austin is the fourth largest city in Texas. Yet, it is by far the most liberal city in Texas. What is it that makes Austin such a liberal city?
I don't know about the others, but Austin is the most Liberal city in Texas because of Government jobs - City, State & Federal.

1. State of Texas - 65,000 employees.
2. University of Texas at Austin - enrollment of over 50,000, 13,000+ employees.
3. Austin Independent School District - 10,000+ employees

Add to that .... I've never met a former Student from UT that didn't want to stay in Austin right after they graduated. Many did.

When you really look into the numbers of the Colorado economy - the Federal Government is leading the pack. Most of these cities with large Universities tend to lean pretty Liberal.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Service-based industries are really just industries that are related to the base economy. The base economy is generally what brings money to the state or the local area. For instance, farming and mining would be a "base" economic activity. In my state of Oklahoma for instance, those are most certainly the economic drivers of the state. Basically, farming and oil/natural gas.

Manufacturing, technology, and other industrial would also be base economic drivers. But Colorado is not a major manufacturing, technology, or industrial center.

The service industry would rarely be considered a "base economic driver"(with the exception of hospitality/tourism). But rather, service industries are simply where those who drive the primary economy, spend their money. For instance, service industries are things like restaurants, hospitals, financial/real-estate, entertainment, etc.

Now the real question is, why is Denver so politically dissimilar from much of the rest of Colorado? And before you chalk it up simply to its size. Keep in mind that it is smaller than Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, and Atlanta. And is not significantly larger than San Antonio or Kansas City.

Or maybe a better example might be. Austin is the fourth largest city in Texas. Yet, it is by far the most liberal city in Texas. What is it that makes Austin such a liberal city?

Where ever the primary economic driver is government, colleges/education, finance, unions, or entertainment. You tend to have liberalism.

Where ever the primary economic driver is farming, mining/energy, or non-union manufacturing/industrial. You have conservatism.

If we look at California for instance, we see that much of the state is actually very conservative. The conservative areas are primarily located in the central valley(where the economy is primarily driven by agricultural).

http://www.ppic.org/content/images/P...gure-4_web.png

But really, I don't want to sit around talking background. I suppose the question is, what do you really think powers the Denver economy? And more importantly, without the federal presence in many key areas of Colorado. What would happen to the economy of Colorado? What would happen to the real-estate prices in Colorado?

Lets pretend that you effectively implemented a minimalist libertarian government tomorrow. Would the population of rural states like Kansas and Iowa go up or down. Would the population of Colorado go up or down? Why?
Actually, the link I posted defined "services" as engineering services, software services, etc, which you would know if you even read my post, let alone the link. Colorado is very much a high tech center.
Colorado's concentration of high-tech jobs ranks third in nation
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_19042173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why does Texas still have a right that all the other states don't have? Is that even constitutional?
That's part "urban legend".
snopes.com: Texas Dividing into Five States

Old 08-11-2013, 12:06 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, Avaya just came to me off the top of my head, b/c a friend's husband worked for them for many years. I didn't read reshadowz post closely, it's too long. I didn't see that phrase "independent technology companies" but so what? Many people in metro Denver work in some sort of IT/high tech/telecom job. Probably the majority of couples have one person working in such fields. I know few who work for the govt.

The point of my post was really to focus on the base of an economy. And what I mean is, Coloradans buy cars, seafood, technology, and many other things that are produced elsewhere. And thus, a certain amount of money is leaving Colorado to go elsewhere. The question is, what brings the money back into Colorado?

As a general rule, services do not bring money into a state, country, or region. Though you could argue that service industries do help keep money within a local economy. And that their existence can attract the relocation of industries which will bring money into the state, country, or region.

But let me go back to my point. What is it that brings money into the Colorado economy? Since Colorado doesn't manufacture many finished goods. Nor do they necessarily produce a lot of exportable technology(government tech doesn't count). Then the industries which effectively "bring money into Colorado". Are farming, mining, logging, tourism, and government.

Now, with Denver being the capital(lots of government jobs), and a major financial center(which ties in with the Federal Reserve system). Then throw in the fact that many of the major companies in Denver exist only because of federal government contracts and other subsidies. And you have a recipe for liberalism.

So then you have to ask. If say, the eastern side of Colorado broke off as its own state. Would it be better off or worse off? I would say unequivocally, it would be better off. Which is exactly the reason the rest of Colorado isn't going to let it break off.

And thus, this whole supposed "movement", is really a waste of time. Because the only way secession can happen, is if somehow both parties thought they would be better off as a result of the split. And as a general rule, this is only the case when there are relatively clear lines of division, and both sides absolutely despise each other to the point that violence is common(got South Sudan?).

In the case of states that have seceded here in the United States. West Virginia was not real secession, because it was during the Civil War, and the rest of the state of Virginia didn't agree to it(and wouldn't have). In the case of the other states which supposedly "seceded" from each other, like Maine, Vermont, etc. In these cases, it was largely a consequence of a disagreement on state borders, resulting in inconsistencies in the original colonial charters. Or because of a desire to balance the senate between slave states and free states(too many slave states? Split a free state in half, problem solved).

The point is, if someone in Colorado wants secession. They need to make life so miserable for the other half of Colorado, that they can't wait to get rid of them. Good luck.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-11-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 12:06 PM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
If rural Colorado residents get their way, Old Glory might need another star. A secession movement has been gaining steam there since early July:

“An open request to Colorado Democratic Party: If our differences are irreconcilable (and I believe most would agree that they are), please state your case why a divorce should not

Meet Our 51st State: North Colorado | Ben Swann Full Disclosure
Denver and the liberals there would be in deep financial trouble. A lot less of other people's money to spend.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Having lived in Durango off and on for many years I can tell you this is one of several reasons why I hated it there. Nothing could improve the quality of life there more than "divorcing" the liberal mentality and letting decent people live their own lives without that kind of influence. I totally support the action, although I doubt if it will happen.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-11-2013, 12:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
The point of my post was really to focus on the base of an economy. And what I mean is, Coloradans buy cars, seafood, technology, and many other things that are produced elsewhere. And thus, a certain amount of money is leaving Colorado to go elsewhere. The question is, what brings the money back into Colorado?

As a general rule, services do not bring money into a state, country, or region. Though you could argue that service industries do help keep money within a local economy. And that their existence can attract the relocation of industries which will bring money into the state, country, or region.

But let me go back to my point. What is it that brings money into the Colorado economy? Since Colorado doesn't manufacture many finished goods. Nor do they necessarily produce a lot of exportable technology(government tech doesn't count). Then the industries which effectively "bring money into Colorado". Are farming, mining, logging, tourism, and government.

Now, with Denver being the capital(lots of government jobs), and a major financial center(which ties in with the Federal Reserve system). Then throw in the fact that many of the major companies in Denver exist only because of federal government contracts and other subsidies. And you have a recipe for liberalism.

So then you have to ask. If say, the eastern side of Colorado broke off as its own state. Would it be better off or worse off? I would say unequivocally, it would be better off. Which is exactly the reason the rest of Colorado isn't going to let it break off.

And thus, this whole supposed "movement", is really a waste of time. Because the only way secession can happen, is if somehow both parties thought they would be better off as a result of the split. And as a general rule, this is only the case when there are relatively clear lines of division, and both sides absolutely despise each other to the point that violence is common(got South Sudan?).

In the case of states that have seceded here in the United States. West Virginia was not real secession, because it was during the Civil War, and the rest of the state of Virginia didn't agree to it(and wouldn't have). In the case of the other states which supposedly "seceded" from each other, like Maine, Vermont, etc. In these cases, it was largely a consequence of a disagreement on state borders, resulting in inconsistencies in the original colonial charters. Or because of a desire to balance the senate between slave states and free states(too many slave states? Split a free state in half, problem solved).

The point is, if someone in Colorado wants secession. They need to make life so miserable for the other half of Colorado, that they can't wait to get rid of them. Good luck.
You still don't get that by "service" industries, they are talking about high tech, as well as the "hospitality" industry in the mountains. My husband writes software for hand-held phones (not cell phones). They are sold world-wide. Just one example.

West Virginia did not secede from the rest of VA due to slavery. It seceded b/c VA seceded from the US. Which state was split in half?

Eastern CO would be in deep sh*t w/o the tax money from Denver and its burbs.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
It will never happen but I am sure that won't stop secession whiners from wanting to separate states because they aren't getting their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies