Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Direction Do You Want The Country To Go In?
Smaller Government, More Freedom, More Personal Responsibility 139 70.20%
Bigger Government, Less Freedom, Less Personal Responsibility 10 5.05%
Other 47 23.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 06:10 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,933,198 times

Advertisements

I would like us to get a new leader and a new congress-one which, hopefully, understands and shares the American dream.

I saw this in today's FT:
US acquirers cut taxes by relocating to Europe after mergers - FT.com

A growing number of US companies are set to save hundreds of millions of dollars in tax by relocating to Europe after completing takeovers on the continent. Some of the biggest mergers and acquisitions so far in 2013 have involved so-called “tax inversions” – where a US acquirer shifts overseas, to Europe in particular, to pay a lower rate. These deals have come at a time when politicians in Washington have been increasing their calls for corporate tax reform.

Michigan-based pharmaceuticals group Perrigo has said its acquisition of Irish biotech company Elan will lead to re-domiciling in Ireland, where it has given guidance it expects to pay about 17 per cent in tax, rather than an estimated 30 per cent rate it was paying in the US. (end)

more jobs leaving America---ka-ching.

UNTIL WE HAVE FULL TIME JOBS THAT PAY ENOUGH WE ARE NEVER "FIXING" ANYTHING.

obamacare is meant to hurt the job market and shift to part-time workers. Does anybody really think our "leaders" wrote a bill they haven't read and don't even understand???? it is all about the special interests in America now.

illegal immigration is meant to drive wages down and hurt the working sector-all to support election of various government sector leaders trying to lure future voters-a bribe basically.

it's a tragedy for americans-and it seems that nobody has our back.

one thing that should happen is that congressional bills moving forward could only be about 10 pages and put online for everyone to see before they pass-that would certainly shake things up-and if our representatives don't get so much vacation time so be it.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 AM

46,334 posts, read 27,176,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
understands and shares the American dream.

Yep, and the dems think that is already gone....

More Dems than Republicans, 53% to 27%, say American Dream is dead | WashingtonExaminer.com

Old 08-13-2013, 06:25 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,580,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Way over simplified. I like the USDA. I like clean air. I like public parks. I like having a safety net incase the worst possible situation can happen. I've been poor before.

We need a much smaller military. We need a simplified tax code. We need less regulations on small business. We need a lower corporate tax rate.

so the answer, as always, is in the middle.
Good post! People hate the Government until they need it. A smaller Government isn't the issue though it's effeciency that should be the issue.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:33 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,580,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
I would like us to get a new leader and a new congress-one which, hopefully, understands and shares the American dream.

I saw this in today's FT:
US acquirers cut taxes by relocating to Europe after mergers - FT.com

A growing number of US companies are set to save hundreds of millions of dollars in tax by relocating to Europe after completing takeovers on the continent. Some of the biggest mergers and acquisitions so far in 2013 have involved so-called “tax inversions” – where a US acquirer shifts overseas, to Europe in particular, to pay a lower rate. These deals have come at a time when politicians in Washington have been increasing their calls for corporate tax reform.

Michigan-based pharmaceuticals group Perrigo has said its acquisition of Irish biotech company Elan will lead to re-domiciling in Ireland, where it has given guidance it expects to pay about 17 per cent in tax, rather than an estimated 30 per cent rate it was paying in the US. (end)

more jobs leaving America---ka-ching.

UNTIL WE HAVE FULL TIME JOBS THAT PAY ENOUGH WE ARE NEVER "FIXING" ANYTHING.

obamacare is meant to hurt the job market and shift to part-time workers. Does anybody really think our "leaders" wrote a bill they haven't read and don't even understand???? it is all about the special interests in America now.

illegal immigration is meant to drive wages down and hurt the working sector-all to support election of various government sector leaders trying to lure future voters-a bribe basically.

it's a tragedy for americans-and it seems that nobody has our back.

one thing that should happen is that congressional bills moving forward could only be about 10 pages and put online for everyone to see before they pass-that would certainly shake things up-and if our representatives don't get so much vacation time so be it.
So a US company is leaving for Ireland because of lower corporate taxes. Isn't that the American way? "Profit and greed"? Maybe they should hire Mitt Romney to advise them where is the best place for "Corporations that are people too" to shelter their taxes ourside of the US.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:52 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,722,365 times
Good point Rob. Highlighting that as a negative example is stating that Americans should just shut up and accept another generation of doubling the redistributing the value generated from work away from the increasingly productive workers to the companies that employ them: "Be good little surfs! And please die quietly while I'm watching my company's portfolio of revenue streams grow." The balance of a generation ago needs to be regained, at least.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:54 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,739,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
The direction that takes us as far away from the Conservative and Liberals as I cant get.

[the currency of both is control]
It is not the ideologies that are the problem it is the corruption in the 2 parties.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:55 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,739,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Good post! People hate the Government until they need it. A smaller Government isn't the issue though it's effeciency that should be the issue.
Exactly. Efficiency and routing out corruption.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:50 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,787,561 times
The childish topic of the size of government is a waste of time. The government needs to solve problems the private sector does not. Smart, effective, pragmatic government is better than simply being concerned about size.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,298,591 times
We need to return to the concepts the country was founded on.
A Republican form of government in which the power is held mostly within the States and the local communities.
Eliminate the Federal Reserve, get rid of the 16th and 17th amendments, and sever the umbilical cord between corporations and government.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:42 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,305,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Way over simplified. I like the USDA. I like clean air. I like public parks. I like having a safety net incase the worst possible situation can happen. I've been poor before.

We need a much smaller military. We need a simplified tax code. We need less regulations on small business. We need a lower corporate tax rate.

so the answer, as always, is in the middle.
That's the Democratic party's positions right now. I wish the Democratic party was much more liberal, but it is the moderate party. President Obama has literally called for all of those things to be done.

To fair the conservatives I think some of them did call for closing the USDA, they don't say they are for dirty air although many want to get rid of the EPA, they don't say they don't want public parks although they are critical of national public parks, and they don't say the want to get rid of all of the safety net just greatly reduce it to where you can't tell its there.

They don't want a smaller military. They do say they want a simplified tax code usually they suggest some kind of flat tax or national sales tax which would be a tax decrease for rich people and a tax increase for most other Americans, and they do say they want fewer regulations on business. They do want lower corporate taxes, but to pay for those corporate tax cuts they want to raise taxes on the poorest Americans and middle class Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies