Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2013, 07:36 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Not at all. Sexual preference is not a race despite you desperately wanting it to be one. The homosexual was never considered property, sold as slaves, made to sit in the back of a bus, or drink from a separate water fountain.
The issue is one of treating a certain category of people as second-class citizens for no reason. Both issues are the same.

Quote:
This is yet another incidence of homosexual bullying to force the business to go against their core religious belief just because they say so.
Religiously-based bigotry is no more acceptable than any other kind.

Quote:
There are plenty of other bakeries for these disgruntled malcontents to go to. Why insist on bullying a business who clearly wants nothing to do with you when there are plenty of other establishments available?
Why insist on sitting at the front of the bus? There are plenty of other seats. That Rosa Parks, always making trouble. Rotten disgruntled malcontent.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:15 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Why do conservatives keep making the same failed argument? Again, the discrimination is freedom argument seriously lost a long time ago. This argument is not going to work in a court of law in America.

Again, racists said the exact same thing about serving black patrons or hiring black employees, hey making me a private citizen running my business serve black customers is an infringement on my freedom, that argument lost.

The problem is that if you run a business then it is a public entity that the state has jurisdiction over. If you as a business owner say I won't serve black people and black people enter your place of business and refuse to leave until served and you call the police, now the racist owner expects the police and thus the government to enforce his/her racism against black people.

This is why businesses are different. This is why the government said no you can't discriminate because inevitably if the government allows this kind of discrimination then that same government will have to ENFORCE the rights of those racists to discriminate against black people.

It will be de-facto state discrimination against black people since such discrimination can only be enforced by the state, which would have been the very system this nation wanted to get away from which was state enforced but discrimination in private businesses.

This same thinking applies to homosexuals. This is a losing argument that has already lost in the courts a long time ago.

Do conservatives learn anything?
the difference is freedom of religion.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
The issue is one of treating a certain category of people as second-class citizens for no reason. Both issues are the same.

Religiously-based bigotry is no more acceptable than any other kind.

Why insist on sitting at the front of the bus? There are plenty of other seats. That Rosa Parks, always making trouble. Rotten disgruntled malcontent.
Religious-based discrimination is Legal in some cases and for some employers.

Federal law doesn't even cover all employers when it comes to discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Right. As would I. It ain't my business what people do in their private lives.
I couldn't agree more. I think that the non-straight population should keep their private lives to themselves. Rots of Ruck on that happenin'.

El Nox

Old 08-16-2013, 09:52 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
the difference is freedom of religion.
As I already told you before, your church doesn't have to marry anyone. No gay couple can walk into a synagogue and demand to be married.

legal marriage is different from spiritually married.

I disagree with anti discrimination laws, but they are on the books. A bakery is not a religious organization, its a bakery.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:32 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Even though a pair of lesbians bought a wedding cake in OR for their nuptials where gay marriage is still illegal?

Maybe that bakery should post that they only make wedding cakes for couples with an OR marriage certificate then.
That bakery is a short commute to Washington - where same sex marriage is legal.

It is also entirely possible the couple lives in Oregon but was taking advantage of the openness and inclusiveness of the Washington voters who approved legal same sex marriage by majority vote last November to marry in this state.

Have I mentioned lately how happy I am to live in Washington?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Why can’t the homosexual respect the religious rights of others and act accordingly? There are plenty of other less orthodox places where they can easily get the same or better service in that their business is actually wanted and welcomed and they won’t have to worry about somebody spitting in their cake or accidentally using spoiled ingredients.
Why should they have to worry about that? Are right-wingers clumsy and inept as well as bigoted? Or are right-wingers likely to be vindictive when not allowed to use their membership in a cult as an excuse to act above the law?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Religious-based discrimination is Legal in some cases and for some employers.
My opinion is not based on the backward laws of another country. Harping about religion doesn't make right-wing bigotry acceptable.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Even though a pair of lesbians bought a wedding cake in OR for their nuptials where gay marriage is still illegal?

Maybe that bakery should post that they only make wedding cakes for couples with an OR marriage certificate then.
Nowhere in this country is it illegal for any 2 people to have a private or family or religious marriage and marriage ceremony. What gay couples cannot (yet) do in Oregon is register a civil marriage with the State and take advantage if the legal rights it confers.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
talk to the guy in CO who is in business of renting apartments and tell him about gun owner rights.

Business refusing customers, what's the diff?
Big difference. One is discrimination based upon the ownership of a thing (due to a perceived safety issue), and the other is discrimination based upon an innate, biological characteristic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies