Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:26 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My husband is military. I know all about leave, all about everyone pretty much having to take leave to travel to a home state to get married, all about weddings getting postponed because leave was canceled for mission needs. More service members need to travel to get married than don't. Why are only homosexual service members getting free leave for this?
You obviously did not read the article. The reason why is because gays have to travel to a state that allows them to get married where as heterosexuals do not. The leave is only for those who are stationed more than 100 miles from a state that allows it. Don't like this, then get all states to accept gay marriage.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:28 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,937,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
You obviously did not read the article. The reason why is because gays have to travel to a state that allows them to get married where as heterosexuals do not. The leave is only for those who are stationed more than 100 miles from a state that allows it. Don't like this, then get all states to accept gay marriage.
She made some argument about cousins who want to get married. If that was the concern, then one would lobby for marrying cousins to get the benefit - not to take it away from gay people.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
From the OP:

Quote:
The new policy, which will take effect by Sept. 3, allows gay and lesbian
service members in the U.S. as many as seven days of extra leave to get married,
as long as they are stationed more than 100 miles from a state where same-sex
marriages are legal or from the District of Columbia, where the marriages are
also performed.

Military personnel who are overseas will get as many as 10 days to travel
back to the U.S. to get married.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
My middle daughter and her, now, "wife" flew from the state in which they live that didn't permit gay marriage to a state 3,000 miles away (their choice) that did, got married, spent another day sightseeing and we're back to work on day four. I'm sure members of the military could do the same. Heterosexual couples aren't given, let's say, seven uncharged days off to marry and have a honeymoon. Why should gays? I applaud the policy for trying to be equitable but believe some of it is unequally excessive.

Isn't air travel, by jet-powered conveyance even, marvelous.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:02 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
DOD leave for same-sex marriage criticized - News - Stripes

Quote:
Gay servicemembers aren’t guaranteed the full seven or 10 days off.
Christensen said decisions on the amount of time granted will be made by their
commanders, who will decide based on unit responsibilities and an individual’s
personal situation.

Advocates noted that the military is offering uncharged
leave, not travel stipends or any way to cover the costs of potentially lengthy
trips.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Nothing new there. The "Good of the Service" always prevails, as it should. But the parameters are still less than equal.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:20 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
My middle daughter and her, now, "wife" flew from the state in which they live that didn't permit gay marriage to a state 3,000 miles away (their choice) that did, got married, spent another day sightseeing and we're back to work on day four. I'm sure members of the military could do the same.
Yes, because we pay our servicemen so well that they can just jet set off 3000 miles to get married.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:21 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
The only way to make this fair is to allow any service member who can not get married at their primary duty station eligible for the uncharged leave, otherwise it is giving benefits to one group that is denied to other groups.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
If anyone actually bothered to read the article....

The big issue they're trying to address is allowing service personnel the opportunity to get married so their partners qualify for all the rights, benefits and programs that legally go with MARRIAGE in this country. If a straight couple had the same concerns about making sure their spouse was covered, they COULD get married in the state where they're based. Traveling to another state to have a big family wedding is a nice thing to do, but it's not a necessity. If you're gay, and if you're stationed in a state that doesn't allow gay marriage, traveling to get married becomes a necessity. My mom married my dad while he was home on leave for a few days before he shipped out for WWII--they went to the justice of the peace because there wasn't time to do anything else, but my dad wanted to make sure that my mom was taken care of if anything happened to him. Straight couples could do the same thing if they needed to--marry quickly locally--but gay couples can't.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Yes, because we pay our servicemen so well that they can just jet set off 3000 miles to get married.
Obviously you missed the point or it was beyond you to comprehend. If they could fly 3,000 miles and be back to work on day-four, in-country service members could do the same although many would have less far to fly.

You're letting your bias show. Not attractive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies