Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,696,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Well, I suppose if the Irish or the Italians were taken from their homeland and enslaved and systematically treated as second class citizens for a 100+ years you'd be on to something. And we all die from diseases so that's not special. German immigrants facing mistreatment is similarly unfortunate but it wasn't on the scale of the wholesale discrimination against blacks for decades.

You are correct that white people have had their share of problems. All people have had their share of problems. But there is a big difference when you have some members of a group face a hardship and when you have all members of a group face a hardship. If you notice, all of the groups you mentioned were a specific nationality. Blacks as an entire race were subject to this discrimination and they were subjected to it for a longer period of time and done so systematically.

And, yes, Africans did sell other Africans into slavery - and that, I agree, blacks must acknowledge.

[if it makes a difference, I'm ethnically Hispanic/Asian, so I'm looking at this from a third party perspective - I don't see why people are so offended by BHM]
I'm not offended by black history month. I just think it's stupid and hypocritical to have a history month based on one ethnic group. Why not just teach history as history? To me black history is already a part of American history so why remove it? I thought "separate but equal" was wrong, so why are they doing it with this?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
White people weren't slaves? So what about all the white slaves in Roman times? Owned by the Roman elite. Maybe I should go and ask for an official apology from every Italian person?
If you think that would make you feel better................

Quote:
BTW most white people didn't even own slaves, including the south. The vast majority of whites were dirt poor. Why is there no history month to show the struggles of the poor white farmers? Would that be racist?
I think we should show that. We could show how the dirt poor whites collaborated with the rich elite whites to maintain the status quo against their own economic interests. We could watch the hangings, the cross burnings, the beatings, the rapes, the denial of voting rights........we could go on and on.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:38 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
You Lefties are so devoid on your history and facts it's astounding.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
"Why do YOU people"?... What are you trying to say there? Who are "you people"? Why can't they just be people?

Looks like someone has some issues...
You know exactly what I'm trying to say.

I've got issues, all right. I hate racist white supremacists.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
If you think that would make you feel better................

I think we should show that. We could show how the dirt poor whites collaborated with the rich elite whites to maintain the status quo against their own economic interests. We could watch the hangings, the cross burnings, the beatings, the rapes, the denial of voting rights........we could go on and on.
While you're at it, show modern day Africa where there is rampant racism and genocide TODAY!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You know exactly what I'm trying to say.

I've got issues, all right. I hate racist white supremacists.
And I hate racist black supremacists. If the shoe fits...You know the rest.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh they weren't?

The Irish Slave Trade

What gets me is that England was the biggest slave trader and NONE of you race hustlers ever mention them as being racists, just here in America. Many of you idolize England and Europe where slavery was created and was alive and well much longer than here in the US.
I am fine with an Irish History month, we Irish have brought plenty of Irish culture to America, but that doesn't justify having a white history month.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:41 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
And I hate racist black supremacists. If the shoe fits...You know the rest.
but you dont hate racist white supremacists. thats your problem.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM

12 posts, read 14,577 times
Have you ever read a history book? World history is white history month. How whites had slaves. How whites explored the globe and tried to take over everything that came into view. How whites fought wars. How whites stole the United States from native people. Hmm!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
I'm not offended by black history month. I just think it's stupid and hypocritical to have a history month based on one ethnic group. Why not just teach history as history? To me black history is already a part of American history so why remove it? I thought "separate but equal" was wrong, so why are they doing it with this?
Black history month was created in a time when black history in our country wasn't being taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies