Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Without the straw man.....they have no logical argument. They therefore must create a false premise, claim that the false premise represents the "black position", then make a valid argument given the premise. However, regardless how logical the inference is, based upon the premise, a false premise creates a false conclusion.
You've just described how liberals operate on a number of issues. False premise that conservatives want to control womens' bodies. False premise that conservatives hate poor people. False premise that conservatives want children to get no medical care. Fales premise that conservatives want to make Christianity a state religion. False premise that conservatives want corporations to run amok with no controls. False premise that conservatives don't care about the environment.

As far as a logical argument, you simply dismiss all arguments you are given. You were given arguments in your own thread related to this one. In fact you even referred the original poster to your thread. But here you are saying that we have no logical arguments. A tip for you is that your disagreeing with an argument doesn't make it illogical.

But your stating that nobody has made an argument when they have does you no credit. It only makes you look strident and intolerant.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:53 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,435 times
If anything blacks are oppressing whites.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM

181 posts, read 319,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The only way I would buy racism is a problem today is if you coukd prove that blacks aren't lazy and are basically spending more tike trying to play the system instead of being productive members of society. I personally know more blacks who are lazy as hell than who put in any teal effort in their lives or career. Many of them are in my family.
The attitude of the African-American community has never been what anyone could reasonably call "lazy". If that was the case, we'd all still be living in the rural South, as it was the ambition of better life that drove the first and second great migrations to the Northeast and the Southwest. If Blacks were lazy, they most certainly would not have migrated to Los Angeles and San Francisco to work during the war efforts. And they most definitely would not have migrated to the Northeast to work in the automobile and other industrial factories.

Fast forward to 2010, and what did we find? The reversal of the great migration, which is finding more and more Blacks moving out of the very Northern and Western cities their parents and grandparents moved to, in search of better economic opportunities elsewhere. The fact that Blacks are going in droves to other places in search of better work climates and better educational systems actually does prove that contrary to the false ideology that we're all lazy, shows that most mainstream Black Americans are actually working to improve their community.

There of course is an underclass of Blacks; many who live in housing projects, are on public assistance, and are not making the best choices for themselves and their children. But what people forget is that there is also an underclass of Whites, who live in trailer parks, are on public assistance, and are not making the best choices for themselves and their children either. The problem with attitudes like the ones folks in this thread have, is that while an unproductive White person does not represent all White people, an unproductive Black person is more often considered a representation of Black America.

And 'branh0913', if you're going to mention "effort" in your post, perhaps you should put some more effort into your spacing and spell check. You can't blame someone of being "lazy" when you're too lazy to proofread your own posts.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
100 percent...........

3 out of 4 black kids born with no fathers!!!!

The white man didn't do that!
The white man sort of did that by passing laws that punish "black" drugs harsher than white drugs, doling out much harsher sentences to black defendants, and selectively enforcing laws against black people (hint, blacks and whites use drugs at pretty much the same rate, yet black people are about three times as likely to get arrested for it).

To be fair, a lot of prominent black people were some of the biggest cheerleaders for the war on (some) drugs back when it was first picking up steam.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've yet to hear a viable argument to confirm that black American's are oppressed in 2013.

Maybe someone can help me out by showing me how black people are still under the thumb of white oppressives in 2013?

Remember, even Jesus fault for income equality. That argument is at least 2,000 years old, therefore the last 50 years are not unlike those poor people that Jesus advocated for. Skin color, however, was irrelevant to Jesus. So why the focus on black people when it comes to income inequality? How about personal initiative, a strong work ethic, and a solid familial structure? Why do black people continue to struggle within this realm?

But most importantly, how exactly are black people still held captive by an alleged ongoing, oppressive majority in this country?

So any black person who feels they have been held back is in reality just lazy, got it.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,558 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
100 percent...........

3 out of 4 black kids born with no fathers!!!!

The white man didn't do that!
Born out of wedlock and born without a father are not one in the same.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:08 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Centuries of oppression and bigotry don't magically disappear. Yes, we have equal rights on the books for black people now, but that doesn't erase the fact that for generations, they were oppressed, shoved into crappy neighborhoods, denied jobs, denied mortgages, denied business loans (something that still happens), denied educational opportunities. It's going to take a very, very long time to erase the effects of past practices, and we're not even close, seeing as many of those practices still exist somewhat to this day.

Even in a perfect world where all the racists (like the ones in this thread) were gone, it's not like the effects of decades of discrimination would magically disappear overnight.
I don't think I agree with you about it taking a long time to erase the effects of the past. My kids (now in their 20's > early 30's) and their old high school and college classmates all appear to be on the same page.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:34 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
If anything blacks are oppressing whites.
Any whites who believe that are lazy and have a huge sense of entitlement. Get off your butts and WORK. Immigrants and children of immigrants pass many of you daily in terms of education and success, and most of you have been here for generations. You all don't have any the generations of oppression in your background that black americans do. Just stop it.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:44 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I will hazard a guess you are white. At minimum non-black.

I always like [sarcasm] when I hear white people blame Obama or any White House administration that is made up of Democrats, for the economic woes of mainstream America--ergo, white people, yet turn around and insinuate economic policies and structures outside of individual blacks have zero bearing on their (blacks) own lives.

Here's how the situation outside and above the individual Black-American reared in the inner-city effects them: There are few jobs in their area.

It's not as if banks are going to give some 24 year old black kid with $40 in his bank account, with no house, with no real asset, with no job, a bank loan to open up a car dealership or tampon manufacturing company.

Que the violins.

Clue: If you want success, get it yourself. Stop thinking the bank owes you a loan.

Seriously, your entire post exemplifies the problem.

Fix it yourself!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Well that is a false argument because no one is claiming that black people are oppressed in 2013, not that I know of at least. What racism does today is to make RECOVERY from past oppression more difficult. Past racism has weakened the black social, cultural and economic immune system. Thus as America is infected with its own economic and moral decay as a nation, the reverberations for African Americans are more deadly because the impact of past racism upon blacks was not properly treated and now these “Complications” from racism have developed as a result.

PS.....you could have just responded to my post instead of this "reflective" rhetorical question you are asking to counter my question.
Perhaps you should listen to the speakers at todays March On Washington commemoration if you'd like to find out how black people are still oppressed in 2013.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies