Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
They closed shop and this should make the homosexual militant bullies ecstatic. Nowhere is it stated that they lost business revenue. They face a potential $50,000 dollar fine keeping the store open and need to keep expenses down. Of course you would prefer that the bakery owners, and everyone else who dares disagree with the homosexual agenda, be tossed out in the streets and unable to put food on the table.

All because a couple of mean spirited angry lesbians didn’t get a cake they would never eat anyway and deliberately chose to be vindictive.
In their shoes I'd also have been what you call 'vindictive.' I see what they did as exercising their legal rights in a peaceful and proper way. If a business discriminated against me because of race, ethnicity, or any other protected status, I'd do the same.

The bakery could have stopped selling wedding cakes.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,104 times
I really want to hear you all's position on the first amendment.

Given your ridiculous statements in this thread, I think I could swap pretty much any of them into a thread about the KKK using free speech to conduct some type of rally, and subsequently being shut down by the government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
You might think it's unjust, but it seems perfectly just to me. What's unjust is a system that allows businesses to conduct discriminatory business practices. A law that gives you your way would be no law at all.
How do you feel about a system that allows individuals to hold KKK rallies and spew hate speech over the internet and radio?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
No, no one's forcing them to own a bakery. If they close up shop, a posse is not going to chase them down and force them to open up again. Your comparison of anti-discrimination laws in business to slavery is just garbage. I find it amazing that an adult would make such an argument and expect to be taken seriously.
Hey, I'm not forcing you to do what I want, but if you don't do it, I'll destroy your livelihood. But technically, I'm not forcing you.

Just brilliant.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:29 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
No, no one's forcing them to own a bakery.
No ones saying they are being forced to own a bakery. Government is forcing them to serve people that the owners don't want too. Why comment when you've missed the point?

Quote:
If they close up shop, a posse is not going to chase them down and force them to open up again.
No ones saying that. Why comment when you've missed the point?

Quote:
Your comparison of anti-discrimination laws in business to slavery is just garbage. I find it amazing that an adult would make such an argument and expect to be taken seriously.
I find it amazing that you would say something as idiotic as this and think people would give you credibility. Slavery- forcing someone to work for you against their will. But since people aren't being whipped or chained or hung but instead they'll loose their property and could serve time you think it's different? Only the punishment has changed.

Quote:
You might think it's unjust, but it seems perfectly just to me.
Because you have plantation mentality and think you own others and you'll use force to get them to bow to your will.

Quote:
What's unjust is a system that allows businesses to conduct discriminatory business practices. A law that gives you your way would be no law at all.
Like the majority of the states in the early 1900's that had laws against inter racial marriages? Obey the law, morality doesn't matter. You probably think government is moral.
A law that steps on the rights of others isn't a just law.

Quote:
I find it hilarious, this idea right-wingers have that laws they don't like don't apply.
I find it hilarious that you are commenting when you are uninformed. Luckily the Jim Crow laws that YOU would follow and that YOU would no doubt squeal on minorities since you love following the law are no longer around.

Arrogant to think the government owns its people. But thats the mentality of the big government supporters who want government to run their lives from cradle to grave. Sure lets have the same entity that enslaved its people to come to their rescue. BTW it was we the people thru civil disobedience that forced the big government, that you love, to change their repugnant Jim Crow laws.

But you keep using force and coercion to get your way. Because YOU know whats best for people. pfffttt

Old 09-03-2013, 06:32 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Every law ever made, is a restriction on somebodies freedom.

As time passes, you become more controlled and less free.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:35 AM

All people want is to be left alone to run their business as they see fit. Bigots or not, in my eyes they should be allowed to so. No person should be compelled to conduct business with those they do not wish to do business with, their backwards rationale notwithstanding.

As far as the issue of force, this is a nonsense argument not worth considering. In theory, no one can ever be "forced" to do anything. It's not possible to compel action by a person. It is however possibly to motivate that person to perform an action either for desire for a reward, or fear of a penalty for not doing so. As is the case here.

So called "liberals" are nothing but authoritarians, as is demonstrated by their omission of cogent arguments replaced by the implication so repeated in this thread that as these people are "bigots" we should be allowed to do anything and everything to harm them as punishment for their beliefs which we have deemed to be wrong.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I really want to hear you all's position on the first amendment.

Given your ridiculous statements in this thread, I think I could swap pretty much any of them into a thread about the KKK using free speech to conduct some type of rally, and subsequently being shut down by the government.

How do you feel about a system that allows individuals to hold KKK rallies and spew hate speech over the internet and radio?
Unless they are advocating harming individuals I want them to keep speaking. I want to know right off, and out in the open, who my enemies are and exactly what they think.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Unless they are advocating harming individuals I want them to keep speaking. I want to know right off, and out in the open, who my enemies are and exactly what they think.
Well I wasn't referring to you.

I was referring to those implying that the deeper theoretical issues here are not ones to even be considered, simply because the subjects here are considered bigots.

Perhaps that's not the way they feel, but it sure as hell sounds like it. Perhaps they don't even know it, but when one inserts their own value judgments into these types of discussions, I question their objectivity. Moreover, I question their respect for the freedom in general of those they disagree with.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Every law ever made, is a restriction on somebodies freedom.

As time passes, you become more controlled and less free.
If that is true then no laws must mean we are free.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
They closed shop and this should make the homosexual militant bullies ecstatic. Nowhere is it stated that they lost business revenue. They face a potential $50,000 dollar fine keeping the store open and need to keep expenses down. Of course you would prefer that the bakery owners, and everyone else who dares disagree with the homosexual agenda, be tossed out in the streets and unable to put food on the table.

All because a couple of mean spirited angry lesbians didn’t get a cake they would never eat anyway and deliberately chose to be vindictive.
‘Stupid Bible-Thumping…B**ch’: Bakery That Refused to Make Gay Couple’s Wedding Cake Speaks Out Amid Threats, Economic Woes | TheBlaze.com

Quote:
While Aaron and Melissa told TheBlaze that the community initially rallied around them — a collective action that helped spark additional business — that support has since waned.
<snip>
As a result, the business’ wedding cake orders this summer are down dramatically from the past. Plus, some individuals have canceled their previously-planned cakes in the wake of the controversy.
<snip>
The impact has even been seen among customers who continue coming to the shop. Some of them, despite still ordering from Sweet Cakes by Melissa, are hesitant to let others know where the delicious baked goods are coming from.

“Another thing lately that we’ve been noticing happening — we’ll have the people who support us,” said Melissa. “They’ve come in and ordered stuff, but they don’t want us to put our sticker on the box. They don’t want people to know they got their stuff with us.”
There you go, straight from the horses mouth. Business is down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies