Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 07:41 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
This is funny. There is no lawsuit. The couple reported the business for breaking a law, they are not taking the bakers to court. The bakery has not even been fined yet, as the investigation is still ongoing. They are closing their storefront because business is down. Business is down because of the bakers actions.
The free market at work.
I have no problem with the free market doing what the free market does. That is the way it should work. You have the right to practice your business the way you want but if it offends people then they will stop sending business your way. What I have an issue with is the government forcing them to go against their religious beliefs. And again, why would you ever demand that someone, who obviously holds you in distain, take your hard earned money when there are plenty of places that would be thrilled to actually serve you?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes there is a lawsuit. They just recently filed a suit.

OR same-sex couple sues bakery for refusing to bake wedding cake - UPI.com
A lesbian couple filed suit in an Oregon court for a bakery's alleged discrimination in refusing to provide them a wedding cake.
Quote:
A same-sex couple who requested a cake for their wedding in January but were refused service by a Gresham bakery have filed a complaint with the state, alleging Sweet Cakes by Melissa discriminated against them based on their sexual orientation.
Lesbian couple refused wedding cake files state discrimination complaint | OregonLive.com

They filed a complaint with the state (OBLI) They are not suing the bakery.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:48 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have no problem with the free market doing what the free market does. That is the way it should work. You have the right to practice your business the way you want but if it offends people then they will stop sending business your way. What I have an issue with is the government forcing them to go against their religious beliefs. And again, why would you ever demand someone, who obviously holds you in distain, take your hard earned money when there are plenty of places that would be thrilled to actually serve you?
How would they go against their religious beliefs? They make wedding cakes, two people came into their store and asked them to make a wedding cake for money.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
I didn't see neo-nazis covered under the state law.
Then again it would depend on the cake. Do they want a giant swastika on the cake? That could be considered offensive material. If the neo-nazi couple just wanted a normal cake with flowers, or decorative piping, then I would have a problem with it, even though there is no law against it.

This couple was turned down before even getting to the discussion of design. They didn't get past the order form line with the names of the couple.
Here in lies the problem. I am sure you will ignore my bolded part just as you did before but this is the problem.

Many things are considered offensive to different people. Obviously the cake was offensive to the baker here. You seem to be O.K. with a baker not making a cake where you agree in the offense.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have no problem with the free market doing what the free market does. That is the way it should work. You have the right to practice your business the way you want but if it offends people then they will stop sending business your way. What I have an issue with is the government forcing them to go against their religious beliefs. And again, why would you ever demand someone, who obviously holds you in distain, take your hard earned money when there are plenty of places that would be thrilled to actually serve you?
The bakery will not be taking their money. The couple has already bought a cake from another baker. They reported the bakery for breaking the law. No one is forcing the bakery to do anything, the bakery can decide to break the law again, and get fined, they can close their doors which they did. There is discussion on whether or not the anti discrimination law apply to cottage food businesses though, so they may not be out of hot water by moving to their home.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Here in lies the problem. I am sure you will ignore my bolded part just as you did before but this is the problem.

Many things are considered offensive to different people. Obviously the cake was offensive to the baker here. You seem to be O.K. with a baker not making a cake where you agree in the offense.
They didn't even discuss the decoration on the cake, so no offensive material was discussed. If they wanted a cake with vaginas on it, I would understand the bakery refusing based on offensive material. If the cake looks like any other wedding cake that they make (flowers, and piping) then what the bakery found offensive wasn't the material, but the people ordering the cake. That is against the law.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:

What was offensive about the cake they wanted to have made?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
They didn't even discuss the decoration on the cake, so no offensive material was discussed. If they wanted a cake with vaginas on it, I would understand the bakery refusing based on offensive material.
As I said........you are good with it when you agree with the offense and that is the problem.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
As I said........you are good with it when you agree with the offense and that is the problem.
How was the cake design offensive when they didn't even discuss the cake design?

Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
What was offensive about the cake? If two neo-nazis wanted a wedding cake, there is nothing offensive about that. If they wanted the cake to look like a pile of dead Jewish people, then that would be offensive and I would side with the baker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies