Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:16 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,585,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm seeing something today that I've never seen in 8 years of a Republican White House, members of the Presidents own party publicly expressing doubt about military action.

We are talking about air strikes launched by Navy warships or Air Force bombers, both safely out of range of Syrian countermeasures. But when it was time to invade and occupy a foreign land, with only the flimsiest of reasons to do so, with little or no plan on what to do once "regime change" was complete, I don't seem to recall any Republicans who spoke out against it prior to the invasion (with the exception of the courageous Lincoln Chaffee, former Rhode Island Senator, the lone "nay" vote)

It really does show a stark contrast between parties. Republicans are too scared to go against how their leadership tells them to vote, or were there others who voted against invading Iraq?
There were a few Republicans that opposed Iraq. To be fair there were very few Democrats that opposed it either. When it comes to war, both parties love it.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:18 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,171,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is a bit strange seeing GOP take sides with Iran, Russia and China, but I guess they will do anything to avoid agreeing with Dems.
I know, right? I don't think I've seen anything more laughable or pathetic.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Quote:
I'm seeing something today that I've never seen in 8 years of a Republican White House, members of the Presidents own party publicly expressing doubt about military action.

We are talking about air strikes launched by Navy warships or Air Force bombers, both safely out of range of Syrian countermeasures. But when it was time to invade and occupy a foreign land, with only the flimsiest of reasons to do so, with little or no plan on what to do once "regime change" was complete, I don't seem to recall any Republicans who spoke out against it prior to the invasion (with the exception of the courageous Lincoln Chaffee, former Rhode Island Senator, the lone "nay" vote)

It really does show a stark contrast between parties. Republicans are too scared to go against how their leadership tells them to vote, or were there others who voted against invading Iraq?

The difference is that Barack is a proven LIAR and is not qualified to launch his own war. We see this as a personal attack to save his non-existent credibility. The NATION does not care what happens to him.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Paul was the only 2008 Republican presidential candidate who voted against the Iraq War Resolution in 2002,[317][318] and he opposed the U.S. presence in Iraq, charging the government with using the War on Terror to curtail civil liberties.

Political positions of Ron Paul - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Except that Paul is a Libertarian in Republican clothing simply to get elected to office.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,541,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is a bit strange seeing GOP take sides with Iran, Russia and China, but I guess they will do anything to avoid agreeing with Dems.
It's interesting that most "progressives" agree with them as well. The president, and the other neocons, are standing alone on this.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Except that Paul is a Libertarian in Republican clothing simply to get elected to office.

Always ran as a republican and always elected as a republican.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:49 AM

147 posts, read 165,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
IIRC, Ron Paul ran for President in 1988 as the Libertarian Party candidate.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
True, unfortunately that does not mean he IS a Republican. He is a Libertarian and that bunch claim him as their own. You can put lipstick on a pig and call it a woman but it is still a pig.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:33 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,426,253 times
I did. And I am very Republican.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:12 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,780,448 times
Quote:

So you are going to pay the bill? Sweet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies