Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 06:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,938,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Well, I was down in Hollywood, Florida, a few months ago ... and, yes, it did strike me as more liberal than conservative. On the other hand it must be noted that Broward County as a whole is one of the most - if not THE most - liberal county in Florida. The demographics show that a lot folks are transplants from the Northeast and Broward County has one of the largest Jewish communities in North America plus a large visible LGBT community so I can understand why it leans more politically liberal than conservative.

Oh ... wait ... you're talking about Hollywood (CA) movie stars????

Who cares what movie stars think? Why does that even bother you???

My guess is self esteem issues wrapped in an inferiority complex.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:11 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Because their chicken ****, and afraid to come out of the box. Reputation and all.
Most celebrities are hypocritical anyways.

They seem to think that there is a different standard set for them.

I find any one person annoying, who thinks that their ideals are it, and if you think outside the box, your ideals are wrong. Who in the hell said that anyone persons way of thinking is right.

God did not make everyone on this damn planet to all think the same. And did not make others to make fun of and degrade those who think outside the box.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California-jewel View Post
Because their chicken ****, and afraid to come out of the box. Reputation and all.
Most celebrities are hypocritical anyways.

They seem to think that there is a different standard set for them.

I find any one person annoying, who thinks that their ideals are it, and if you think outside the box, your ideals are wrong. Who in the hell said that anyone persons way of thinking is right.

God did not make everyone on this damn planet to all think the same. And did not make others to make fun of and degrade those who think outside the box.
I don't think this at all. I suppose people who others think of as "Hollywood types" just have a different perspective on life and are exposed to ideas that many other people never are. This is opposed to people who live in a very closed off world and don't see much that's different than themselves. Experiences are what make people think and act the way they do. Lacking experiences they fall back on what they've been told or what they read or, yes, what religion tells them. That's always the bottom line. And there really is no THEM...there are as many variety of celebrities as their are people.

There are some things that are right and some things that are wrong. If you are wrong you are just WRONG no matter where in or out of the box you are.

I don't think god make anyone so this point is lost on me. But yes, he did make it entirely possible for people to make fun of each other. Why would you think otherwise? Not a very good god-creator otherwise ehh?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
While I believe everyone has a right to express their opinions, I feel that celebrities tend to express their views irresponsibly. They come across as pretentious and never seem to be informed on issues, but yet they arrogantly believe that they know what's best for the average person. They are also hypocrites, allows filthy rich and do the very things that they claim to be against in movies.

Furthermore, all their views are the same. How often do you hear or see a Conservative celebrity expressing their views openly in Hollywood? Very rarely. But yet you always see celebrities talking about wanting to ban guns or about how great Obama is. This is no coincidence, I've been told by a friend who works in Hollywood that there are a lot of Conservatives and other non super liberal people in Hollywood, but they keep it to themselves for their own careers sake. In Hollywood it's not about talent so much as it is about who you know. It's about whose parties you get invited to, whose circle and name you know, and the only way to get to know those people is to agree with their radical liberalism or stay quiet about it. I have also been told that many celebrities don't really care about liberal causes, they just pretend to because it earns them "celeb cred"with the Hollywood liberal elitist.

Truth is that it's easier for a person in Hollywood to be an openly gay, Godless druggie, **** than it is to be a righteous and moral Christian who remains in the same relationship. A person like Tim Tebow would be attacked in Hollywood while a scum bag like Charlie Sheen is praised.
conservatives just don't understand how insane they sound.

Hollywood is in the business of making entertainment. conservatives are irrelevant to that business.

The idea that all these huge movie and tv studio's are against conservatives and that actors, writers, etc are all against conservatives is insanity, yet conservatives believe this insane idea. SMH.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
He was talking about celebrities in the entertainment world, not the news media. Before you try to take an arrogant attitude, you should try to get things right.
Limbaugh, Beck and the others are entertainers. The fact that you can't separate their lame schtick from news is revealing.

Spin celebrity however you like. Just like the lunatic spin right wingers apply so deftly to reality. If it works to keep you angry and frightened, go for it.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives just don't understand how insane they sound.

Hollywood is in the business of making entertainment. conservatives are irrelevant to that business.

The idea that all these huge movie and tv studio's are against conservatives and that actors, writers, etc are all against conservatives is insanity, yet conservatives believe this insane idea. SMH.
Conservatives are irrelevant to the business of making entertainment? Hollywood is so overwhelmingly Liberal that those found to be closet Conservatives in the industry are blacklisted. It's a closed environment, where only certain viewpoints are tolerated -- Conservative opinions are treated like cancer. Mel Gibson couldn't get ANY studio to make Passion of the Christ, so he did it himself and it made over $400 million. Meanwhile, the studios kept greenlighting anti-war/anti-military flops one after another (Stop Loss, Redacted, Green Zone, In the Valley of Elah, etc.) because those were products of the Hollywood echo chamber.

The studios themselves want to make money. That's all. But behind those studios are people -- people who determine what type of entertainment gets made. They actively keep Conservatives out of the industry so they can control the media that shapes our culture and public opinion.

We watch a lot of TV and movies and I've found one constant -- characters are built on the stereotypes the writers/producers/directors want to portray. If a character is identified as a Christian, they're a bigot, a lunatic or a simpleton. If they're a Conservative, they're a hypocrite. If they're a businessman, they're greedy and heartless. It builds on this false stereotype that Conservatism and religion are nothing but negative influences and create horrible people. Are some horrible people, of course, but if your only interaction with these people was the portrayals on TV, this is the only way you would know them.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Robert Downey Jr. self-identifies as a "Conservative Democrat"

Old 09-10-2013, 10:23 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,628,268 times
The thing about being openly gay in Hollywood is that it's a career killer. I learned this from reading articles from insiders to the entertainment industry. Liberals and specfically gay ones - discriminate against other gays. Some gay producers and casting directors will blatantly refuse to cast an outted star for a straight role because of that mere fact and how it takes away the illusion of character being straight. So to be honest, people like Raven Symone, Wentworth Miller, Jodi Foster, and Jane Lynch have basically kissed their careers goodbye. Hollywood isn't as accepting as they will soon find out.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That link is a salespiece for Ben Shapiro's book, and he's hardly what you'd call an uninterested observer.
It's irrelevant what the link is for or what Shapiro's interest is. The point is the interviews, not the book.
Quote:
His book is mostly rants about how shows like Glee (Fox TV, btw. - damn that leftie Rupert Murdoch!), Friends -even Sesame Street - fail to align with what he feels should be a balanced approach. His favorite example being gay tolerance, and there's apparently just not enough TV shows that show sympathy for those who kick their gay children out of the house.
Deflection.
Quote:
(He did love 24, though - having the hero torture people is apparently a proper right-wing perspective.)
Comments like that are just partisan hyperbole and basically trash your own credibility. If you want to have a discussion then have a discussion. If you just want to make snarky remarks, then don't expect to be taken seriously.
Quote:
From a person with Shapiro's perspective, of course Hollywood looks left.
As I said, Shapiro's perspective is irrelevant. The telling point is the producers' own words, not Shapiro's editorializing. The interviews are up on Youtube for anyone to listen to. No paraphrasing, no misrepresentation, no "creative" interpretation. You can hear it straight from the source in their own words.
Quote:
In the meantime, we have Patricia Heaton, Adam Sandler, Heather Locklear, Bruce Willis from the top of ,my head - and I had the pleasure of walking by Angie Harmon on her way to shooting Rizzoli and Isles the other day.
The existence of individual conservatives here and there means nothing. It's like saying Obama got elected president so that's proof there's no racism in America.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 AM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Conservatives are irrelevant to the business of making entertainment? Hollywood is so overwhelmingly Liberal that those found to be closet Conservatives in the industry are blacklisted. It's a closed environment, where only certain viewpoints are tolerated -- Conservative opinions are treated like cancer. Mel Gibson couldn't get ANY studio to make Passion of the Christ, so he did it himself and it made over $400 million. Meanwhile, the studios kept greenlighting anti-war/anti-military flops one after another (Stop Loss, Redacted, Green Zone, In the Valley of Elah, etc.) because those were products of the Hollywood echo chamber.

The studios themselves want to make money. That's all. But behind those studios are people -- people who determine what type of entertainment gets made. They actively keep Conservatives out of the industry so they can control the media that shapes our culture and public opinion.

We watch a lot of TV and movies and I've found one constant -- characters are built on the stereotypes the writers/producers/directors want to portray. If a character is identified as a Christian, they're a bigot, a lunatic or a simpleton. If they're a Conservative, they're a hypocrite. If they're a businessman, they're greedy and heartless. It builds on this false stereotype that Conservatism and religion are nothing but negative influences and create horrible people. Are some horrible people, of course, but if your only interaction with these people was the portrayals on TV, this is the only way you would know them.
You guys are funny. Anyone can form a production company and if they show up with cash, any studio will rent them facilities and tradesmen. If Hollywood was a dancer, she'd like to pretend she's all about classical ballet - but if you show up with a roll of ones, she'll break out the pole in a heartbeat. Everybody knows it.

"Mel Gibson couldn't get ANY studio to make Passion of the Christ" isn't technically a lie - but it should read "Mel Gibson couldn't get ANY studio to risk their money to make Passion of the Christ". It was a heckuva long shot. Aramaic? So he did what everybody with an idea that can't get backing is perfectl;y free to do: He raised the cash himself. And if you look at the crew - the cinematographer, the editors, the casting director - they're old Hollywood pros. A gig's a gig and their careers sure as hell haven't suffered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies