Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 AM

57,355 posts, read 26,263,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Right, none of the leftists have ever heard of political correctness.

What does political correctness have to do with freedom of speech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,340,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Right, none of the leftists have ever heard of political correctness.
Personally, I don't consider myself a "leftist" nor would anyone that knows me. I hold some views traditionally considered left or liberal and some traditionally considered right or conservative.

Yes, I've heard of PC. It can be rampant to the point of ridiculousness, but what's your point?

Have "rightwingers" never heard of censorship?

It's part of human nature that we sometimes try to silence the speech of others. It's not a partisan issue or one of political ideology.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:21 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Where do you get that this is a liberal issue other than your own personal opinion.
Because liberals are the ones shutting down free speech.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:24 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,552,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
And then they pretend political correctness isn't censorship.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 AM

45 posts, read 77,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I also support the right of a thousand bikers shutting them out of military funerals. Freedom of speech can also mean the public limiting your speech
Memphis1979:

A thousand bikers keeping protestors from funerals is the proper exercise of freedom of assembly, also a 1st Amendment right, in balance with freedom of speech.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:33 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times
For instance....who are the ones telling people that the term "illegal immigrant" is racist?

They are immigrants and they are here illegally.

"Undocumented worker" isn't factual, because most don't work.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:41 AM

57,355 posts, read 26,263,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
News to me, certainly not on CD Data - where was free speech shut down any specifics?

Seems like like Limbaugh, Hannity are doing just fine.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:31 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,715,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronHarpoons View Post
Freedom of speech is the most important freedom individuals have.
The most important freedoms are those that are so thoroughly taken for granted that it is generally not even considered necessary to specify them (although, increasingly, it is becoming clear that it is necessary to specify them, as some people seek to infringe even these most important freedoms of others). The most important freedom is actually the freedom of personal recognizance and personal self-direction, i.e., that which keeps one free from slavery, from torture, from unjust detention, and from unwanted encroachment of one's body.

Furthermore, the freedom of speech is actually a subsidiary freedom - a substantially less important aspect of a far more important set of freedoms, specifically the freedom of thought, freedom of conscience and freedom to determine one's own beliefs and values. These internal freedoms are far more critical than the freedom to project these thoughts, matters of conscience, beliefs and values. That specific prioritization - the freedom to have one's own thoughts being more important than the right to share one's thoughts with another - is critical for understanding many matters in society properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I also support the right of a thousand bikers shutting them out of military funerals. Freedom of speech can also mean the public limiting your speech
This is a very important point, especially in light of the nonsense being expressed by several folks regarding political correctness. What they are refusing to recognize is that disreputable attitudes that manifest as violations of political correctness are being highlighted to discredit their comments, not take away their right to express their comments. If anything, I want to encourage those who hold such disreputable attitudes to share their remarks that demonstrate those disreputable attitudes more, and more directly, since it makes it that much easier for those listening to them/reading their comments to understand the lack of credibility in those comments that stems from holding such disreputable attitudes.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:38 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
News to me, certainly not on CD Data - where was free speech shut down any specifics?

Seems like like Limbaugh, Hannity are doing just fine.
Not because of a lack of attempts. It's hardly just "leftists" either. One of the biggest attacks on our first amendment rights in decades was McCain/Feingold.

Nobody is going to accuse McCain of being a leftist. Feingold wasn't even a leftist.

"Leftists" even have a right to proclaim that words like "illegal alien" should be removed from everyday speech. That is not a problem until the government decides to act on it.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:51 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,552,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Not because of a lack of attempts. It's hardly just "leftists" either. One of the biggest attacks on our first amendment rights in decades was McCain/Feingold.

Nobody is going to accuse McCain of being a leftist. Feingold wasn't even a leftist.

"Leftists" even have a right to proclaim that words like "illegal alien" should be removed from everyday speech. That is not a problem until the government decides to act on it.
Hmmm. I think everything expressed by leftists should be 'removed from everyday speech.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies