Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2013, 03:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
LOL....north has no clue where his money came from.....

Save the world, but bring me all the oil profits from my daddies money....
He also profited from a large share in a nickel mine, being on the board of Apple (who has everything built in China) and the "documentary" An Inconvenient Truth.

But he's for "equality and the American worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 04:33 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You mean like Hurricane Sandy that occurred less than a year ago?
Just so you know, there are more or less X number of hurricanes worldwide plus or minus. You could look it up.

SOURCE

You have to do a little work, which means you wont do it because folks like you prefer ideology to truth.

2005 (The Year of Katrina) had 51 hurricanes worldwide, an unusually high number. This year, 2013, there have been 23 (including the latest one that hit the Cape Verde Islands) hurricanes worldwide. So far. Still got a couple of months to go.

Picking out ONE SINGLE storm as indicative is nothing more than idiotic. A single storm proves NOTHING!

PS there were 37 hurricanes worldwide in 2012, 46 in 2006, and as mentioned previously, 51 in 2005.

Do a little research, and when you have educated yourself, come on back and we'll have an intelligent conversation, based on FACT, NOT left wing ideology.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:45 PM

57,293 posts, read 26,206,502 times
There are more climate extremes including hurricanes, flooding, droughts. Look at the fires in CA and the flooding in CO this past month, some very severe weather. Too short a period for hurricanes but 2 major hurricanes hitting the northeast within 2 years is unheard of in recent history.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:49 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are more climate extremes including hurricanes, flooding, droughts. Look at the fires in CA and the flooding in CO this past month, some very severe weather. Too short a period for hurricanes but 2 major hurricanes hitting the northeast within 2 years is unheard of in recent history.
The fires in California have nothing to do with the weather, it does not rain here between May and October, with the majority of the rain coming from December through march. We have always been prone to fires, and we always will, it has nothing to do with global warming.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Or not...

Why Has It Been So Long Since a Major Hurricane Hit the US?

Strange since global warming was suppose to increase the hurricane numbers and strength... I guess global warming went on vacation on Jupiter...
Are you sure those were short range predications? The predictions I've read for global warming are for the next century and beyond. Climate change isn't instant. However I have to say weather seems to have been weird here. Maybe it's my imagination but the winters don't seem as cold or snowy and the summers don't seem as warm.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I tried it and got 329,000 results.

Then I tried "Global Warming Hockey Stick Hoax" and got 69,600 results.
Come on. I admit that making fun of spelling errors is not the highest form of humor, but it totally went over everyone's head.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Come on. I admit that making fun of spelling errors is not the highest form of humor, but it totally went over everyone's head.
Who is talking about spelling errors?

I was talking about how easy it is to find websites about the "hockey stick" hoax regarding "global warming" (now known as "climate change").

Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Who is talking about spelling errors?

I was talking about how easy it is to find websites about the "hockey stick" hoax regarding "global warming" (now known as "climate change").
Yes, but another user accidentally spelled it "clobal warming" which is what I was alluding to.

It's cool, I'm just amusing myself here.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I guess you didn't read the cute title of that article? I'm thinking the people who dealt w/Hurricane Sandy & the aftermath considered it a major hurricane. But whatever, let's just take any opportunity to scoff about climate change, hey?
Hurricane Sandy was not due to climate change, I hate to break it to you. That was only one category I hurricane. The damage it caused was not because of climate change, but from infrastructure not equipped to handle such storms. This isn't exactly Florida up here. And, yes, I was in the path of Sandy. Luckily, I live on a hill and didn't get flooded out

Old 09-13-2013, 07:36 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Wow. It seems facts just seem to allude certain people.

There has been little - if any - severe weather. There has been little - if any - climate extremes (whatever that's supposed to be). There has been a large increase of media coverage for normal weather that happens occasionally throughout the history of the earth. Why? What does this have to do with anything?

Well, the media comglomerates are owned by people who like money. (No, really it's true! ) And they've learned that sensational news brings in more viewers/readers. And guess what that brings in. Bingo! Advertising and subscription money! Yay!

But what happens when there isn't any sensational news? Well then lets make normal news sensational to the morons who watch/read our bilge. How? By overplaying it - beating it to death - and using sensational words like, well - sensational, catastrophic, extreme, dangerous, cataclismic, etc. And using these words over and over again for the public (which mostly can't think for themselves) will eventually lead to their acceptance as truth by these gullible sheeple.

Some of you are really sad. There has been no evidence of increases in the number or intensity of hurricanes, tornados, flooding, fires, etc. This is fact! But by listening to the news that 1) no longer has to rely on professional integrity, and 2) is focused less on actual truth and more on the bottom line by 3) making news sound more "extreme" than it truly is, many of you have become deluded.

As for 2 major hurricanes hitting in 2 years: oh, dear God, please do some basic research. Even statistically, this was absolutely boring on the geological scale. It's no more statistically "extreme" than rolling three 7's in row with a pair of dice.

Don't talk sciencee and math if you don't know it. And stop simply repeating the bilge you hear from others simply because it sounds good or it's something you want to believe. People look like idots when they do this and embarrass both themselves and the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies