Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Did the economy crash after the sequester? How about when Clinton shut down the government? We keep hearing these doomsday claims by Democrats, that if only we do this, and that, the world will end.

Guess what, it wont.. Even if government shuts down, you'll wake up tomorrow and go to work, and wont even notice much of a difference.
Absolutely right.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My next door neighbor works at the Pentagon was considered non essential and was going into a temporary layoff during the government shut down. He is paid very well to write needless long reports on missile systems along with hundreds of coworkers and they are filed away and collect dust after they are completed. Then on to the next report! He feels guilty that he is collecting a government wage for doing such silly work but he enjoys the lifestyle and makes LOTS OF MONEY!

Now that it appears the Congress will pass a special bill to pay the military and all the contractors and civilian employees of the Defense Department and Defense Contractors he will continue to work even if there is a government shut down!

A perfect problem with picking winners and losers during this period.
First, you need to pay attention to the news, that bill only makes sure that military members and contractors in the combat zone get paid, not all Department of Defense employees.

Second, if he's your neighbor that means you are in the same economic status, living the same lifestyle, which means you the retiree must be getting oodles of money too since you can afford to live next to him. Maybe the waste is how much Social Security you are getting.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-29-2013 at 08:24 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Sequester has been pretty bad actually. I have been watching Georgia's monthly economic data and the loss of government jobs has been pretty ravaging to the state this year. And that is only one state that I have been watching.
We could use a few less government jobs. There are far too many people working for the government.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:02 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Why don't you call your credit card company and tell them you want all limits on your card removed AND you want to pay your bill whenever you please with no interest rate added and no penalty charges added. That's exactly the "disagreement" between the Republicans and the Democrats AND it's what the negotiations will be about.

The spending is out of control, the Debt is out of control, the Government is out of control. It should not be a "concession" to start addressing this mess. The "my way or the highway" out of control spending has got to stop.
Again this makes no sense at all. Are you now discussing raising the debt ceiling?

First, off me calling a credit card company is not at all like what is going on in the federal government.

Also to help you, the federal government pays interest on the national debt. So the idea they don't pay an interest rate is false.
No that is not the disagreement between conservatives and Democrats.

conservatives and Democrats in Congress all agree that the debt ceiling has to be raised. There is no disagreement about raising the debt ceiling.

In terms of spending and the debt, that is why you negotiate a budget and not threaten to destroy the economy.

What spending in the federal budget is my way or the highway?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The facts are that Republicans are the ones using the negative effects of the shutdown as leverage to assert the agenda that they can't carry through elections and legislation. So obviously, the Republicans are the ones who are trying to shut down the government if they don't get their way.

So, as reasonable people can plainly see, I am right and you are wrong.
The Democrats can avoid a shut down if they want to, by passing the bill as the House delivers it to them.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Most Americans are not as stupid as to buy what you're trying to sell.

Poll: Public opposes GOP ObamaCare defunding effort - The Hill's Healthwatch
Doesnt matter, we dont live in a Democracy, we live in a Representative Republic...

Dont like it.. MOVE..

Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Just because you repeat this over and over does not make it any less false. Support your candidate and be proactive in their campaign helping them to win an election. See how easy that is? backatchya
Hmmm, I think the Texan's did that with Ted Cruz. He's doing what they elected him to do. See how that works?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I think that people should win sufficient support of the House, Senate, and/or White House if they wish to assert their legislative agenda rather than hold the national economic well-being hostage to assert that which they couldn't achieve at the ballot box.

And most Americans who respect the Constitution think the same thing, as the polls indicate.
Most people who respect the Constitution, dont run around whining and calling others who follow it, terrorists, because you dont like the process..

Clearly they won sufficient support in the House, or you wouldnt be here crying like a little baby.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Quote:
Seriously? Republicans are doing everything they possibly can to sabotage our economy. They need to stop being babies and accept the fact that Obamacare is here to stay and the voters have spoken.
You people think money grows on trees. Have you take a look at our national debt lately? U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time One of these days it is going to bite us in the Aston Martin.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Sequester has been pretty bad actually. I have been watching Georgia's monthly economic data and the loss of government jobs has been pretty ravaging to the state this year. And that is only one state that I have been watching.
Georgias unemployment rate has been falling, just like the rest of the nation

Northwest Georgia's Unemployment Rate Decreases To 8.3 Percent; Dalton's Down To 10.3 Percent In August - 09/26/2013 - Chattanoogan.com

Who are you trying to kid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies